Can't install any antivirus without problems!!!

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have run into a snag. After installing Trendmicro I started having problems. After the install it took forever to load, and when it did I get a warning that I have no virus protection. I removed Trend with it's own removal tool and installed AVG Free, I get the same thing, The resident shield and email won't start. I install Vipre and the same thing protection is turned off and won't turn on. I have cleaned the registry of all norton traces, avg and others. I have did a scan with viper while it was installed and found a few items that I cleaned. I'm at my wits end and have never seen this happen before. I need some suggestions. Thanks

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Im on Vista right now but I think it is control panel |security.
It is the area that you can turn AV, windows update, and firewall on and off.
In the left pane there is a place that says "change the way windows notifies me about security.
Click on that and uncheck the AV box.
As long as you know that you have AV it is safe to turn off.
Many different AV progs are not recognized such as AVAST but they still work.

That setting only changes the warning not the operation of the prog.

If there is a virus, they can suppress scanners inside windows once they activate. The best option is to boot into safe mode with networking. You can download your scanner there, and run the scan. Most viruses are dormant inside safe mode.

Bruce if you have access to a clean machine you can put together a Windows Ultimate Bootdisk and run scans on your computer before Windows is ever booted and the virus is completely inactive, I have salvaged so many machines with this program, the worst case senario is if the virus is in the Windows system files itself, which usually requires doing a Repair Reinstall of the Operating System after disinfecting it.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/