Question Can't install Windows - the PC doesn't restart during the procedure..

Aug 30, 2023
My PC has been having boot and restart problems so I decided to try and re-install Windows.

The problem is that I can't complete the installation because the PC won't restart towards the end of the install operation - so all I get is a black screen.

I have just installed a more powerful PSU so it's not that. I have a new motherboard too.

Does anyone think I need to try a number of different BIOS's, to see if any one of them fixes the issue? Or is it something else?

If I clear CMOS and reboot I can get into CMD and the BIOS.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023
You said you have a new motherboard, is this when you ran into the problem> What motherboard and cpu?
Yes I was troubleshooting, and thought it might be hardware. I don't believe the new motherboard is the source of the problems. I now have an Asus Z790-A II. The CPU is Intel Core i7-14700K.

Last edited:
The problem is that I can't complete the installation because the PC won't restart towards the end of the install operation - so all I get is a black screen.
I can only assume your getting stuck on the last reboot before the computer restarts to the installer telling you to please wait while Windows gets your desktop ready.

If I'm right when the installer does that last restart wait till the computer is in the loop to reboot and than remove the USB Windows installer. Let the computer do it's thing like you never removed the USB stick see if the install finishes up.

Aug 30, 2023
I can only assume your getting stuck on the last reboot before the computer restarts to the installer telling you to please wait while Windows gets your desktop ready.

If I'm right when the installer does that last restart wait till the computer is in the loop to reboot and than remove the USB Windows installer. Let the computer do it's thing like you never removed the USB stick see if the install finishes up.

You are right about what is going on. I have removed the install boot usb when the PC is about to reboot, but what happens is that the display monitor's message is 'DisplayPort No Signal' - but there has obviously just been display just before that when the Windows is installing and I've just come from the BIOS. I'm not sure if it's a graphics driver issue - but how do I change NVidia drivers when I can't get into Windows? - I've tried looking up ways with cmd but couldn't find anything personally.

Just to add - I have a i7-14700K, so i might try getting into the BIOS and enabling the iGPU and see if I get any luck installing Windows that way ie. if I plug the HDMI into the motherboard port. I will report back.

Aug 30, 2023

I enabled iGPU in the BIOS and plugged the DP cable into the motherboard - nothing. Same when I plugged a HDMI cable in. Same thing when I plugged HDMI from PC to another monitor and I tried my TV -'No Display'.

I'm thinking it's either gpu driver issue or faulty gpu??

Last edited: