Build Advice Wanting to Step up from Midrange. In uncharted waters. Please advise

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hello!
When someone can make the time, i'd love some input on a new build. It will have to be built by 'someone' else as i am unable and unwilling to learn how to do it myself.

What I use my Desktop PC for - gaming, surfing and watching streaming video.
I'll want to play my old game rotation in ultra settings for a change and have better FPS. Games like fallout 4, Borderlands 1&2, Witcher 3, Skyrim and Halo MCC. i will be getting Starfield and Alan Wake 2 and who knows what newer games i may want in the future.

I do not overclock. I have a $3000 budget and tired of 'mid-range'. I'd love to build around the Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU, paired with at least an RTX 4070 ti super. I want to step up to 1440p and have at least a 27" monitor for a change. (not the wide short ones but a big rectangle shape)
My biggest worry, in that regard, is that i'll still need to watch 720p movies and i need the text on webpages to be as clear as it is now on my 1080p 24" monitor. I sit about six feet from the screen in a small room, with no desire to sit any closer.
I'll add more once i land on a motherboard, psu and memory and such. For now, would you all advise and give me things to consider and maybe recommend a 1440p monitor and say something about my needing more screen real estate and watching 720p or lower video and having text on webpage be clear - basically what i can expect from going up to 1440p? I know the gaming will blow my mind but i don't want to compromise on the other.

Final note. If my tried and true friend can't build it for me, rather than rolling the dice on a SI or buying a prebuilt, I thought i may roll the dice on a local PC repair store to build it. I found one man that I also do not know - who says he would build it. My thinking is that he could keep it on the bench for a while to monitor and tweak the config and also, should something go wrong, at least i'll know where he lives!

Thank you all very much

No, I do not think Microcenter will ship.

You'll have to make the AMD versus Intel decision and the air cooled versus liquid cooling decision. Maybe even the 32 GB versus 64 GB RAM decision.

You should be able to do quite well for 3000 dollars.

You say you are 'tired of mid-range', so you may be prone to buyer's remorse......which might lead you to spend more than necessary. You'll have to deal with that as you see fit. We can't know exactly what you are thinking in the last 30 seconds before you poke the "buy now" button. Good luck.

Something like this may be a good starting point. I chose a 32inch QD-OLED monitor considering you will be so far away from the screen but still need text clarity while simultaneously being able to see low detail videos Fullscreen. Remember that you can set scaling options in windows to make applications and their text look bigger.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO 69 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Pro RS ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial T500 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($142.34 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.03 @ Amazon)
Monitor: MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 31.5" 3840 x 2160 240 Hz Monitor ($949.99 @ B&H)
Total: $3010.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-08-24 22:31 EDT-0400