[SOLVED] Can't obtain IP address on my second router ?

Sep 18, 2021
Hey everyone, I recently bought a second router since wifi connection in my room was weak and I set it up as range extender so it's wirelessly connected to my main huawei router. But But I have a problem where my phone can't obtain ip address... If I restart the second router or main router it works fine, but in a day or so the problem comes back again... If anyone has a solution I would be really grateful.

Solution
That is not how a repeater/extender was designed to be installed. You do not put it in the remote room. It will get the same crappy signal your other device get and then attempt to retransmit it. You are suppose to place it where it can get strong signal from the main router and then still be able to send it to the remote room. This can take a lot of trial and error to find the location and in some houses it is impossible.

What is likely happening is your phone connects to the repeater because it has strong signal BUT the repeater does not have a good connection to the main router becuase the signal is still very poor. Since there is no data connection between the 2 routers you do not get a IP address.

Repeaters are a...
That is not how a repeater/extender was designed to be installed. You do not put it in the remote room. It will get the same crappy signal your other device get and then attempt to retransmit it. You are suppose to place it where it can get strong signal from the main router and then still be able to send it to the remote room. This can take a lot of trial and error to find the location and in some houses it is impossible.

What is likely happening is your phone connects to the repeater because it has strong signal BUT the repeater does not have a good connection to the main router becuase the signal is still very poor. Since there is no data connection between the 2 routers you do not get a IP address.

Repeaters are a huge pain to get working consistant you really should only use them when there is no other possible solution.

Solution
Sep 18, 2021

Repeaters are a huge pain to get working consistant you really should only use them when there is no other possible solution.
I understand that now, and feel a little dumb lol. Earlier today I connected the second router to the main router via ethernet cable and set it to access point mode. I hope there won't be any problems now. Thank you for your answer!