[SOLVED] Can't overclock G3258 passed 4.0GHz

Corrnes

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Bought this CPU for the sake of moderate overclocking but can't even get it passed 4.0GHz without crashing, after reading this processor is notorious for hitting the 4.7/8 mark without problems. After stress testing for 15 minutes via Prime95 at 4.1GHz (1.25v), the computer crashes. Im new to overclocking, however, i do feel something isn't right here. It may be important to note I'm using the stock cooler, although i've read people run 4.2/3 GHz on stock cooler just fine. I used this article as a guide for the build, so compatibility doesn't seem to be the issue.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-budget-gaming-pc-guide

I'm using a MSI H81M-P33 motherboard with 8gb of ram. Help would be appreciated after i've just bought a new setup and I'm looking to get the best out of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hello.

I have two G3258s. One reaches 4.2Ghz, and the other reaches 4.5Ghz, both at around 1.3V and I could get to 4.4Ghz on the stock Intel cooler, although I did use a motherboard with better power phases and VRMs than you are using.

If it fails stability 4.1Ghz 1.25V, push the voltage up in 0.01V steps and see if you can get to stability at sensible temperatures. I would expect you to get there soon.

You may have a significantly below average chip like my first one. That's the luck of the silicon lottery.
Hello.

I have two G3258s. One reaches 4.2Ghz, and the other reaches 4.5Ghz, both at around 1.3V and I could get to 4.4Ghz on the stock Intel cooler, although I did use a motherboard with better power phases and VRMs than you are using.

If it fails stability 4.1Ghz 1.25V, push the voltage up in 0.01V steps and see if you can get to stability at sensible temperatures. I would expect you to get there soon.

You may have a significantly below average chip like my first one. That's the luck of the silicon lottery.

Solution

More recent versions of Prime95 are really stressful. The recommended version is 26.6.

What are your temps at idle and under load?

Yogi