Can't Play mkv video on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan 21

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
I've recently upgrade to W10, but when i test to run mkv video file, it cant run smoothly (dropping much fps ) . I try to instal every video player that I know, but it won't run smoothly. Any body has answer for my problem ?

Solution
What photonboy said. Except for VLC, changing video players won't help. All video players just call Windows to handle the video decoding for them. If Windows doesn't have the proper codec installed, it won't be able to decode the video, or will have trouble doing so. So install a good codec library like K-Lite. VLC is unique in that it uses its own built-in codecs, and doesn't rely on Windows. So it's a good video player to keep on the side to help you diagnose problems (or just use it as your standard video player if you don't want to bother with installing codecs).

Also, MKV is just a container. The actual video file can be any number of formats - MPEG4, Xvid (MPEG4 + ASP), H.264, or now H.265. So just because one mkv video...
1) Make sure you have the proper video drivers (I tried to upgrade a laptop with AMD HD4000M + HD6000M graphics but they never did work properly. video stuttered and other issues so I had to go back to W7).

2) K-Lite Standard-> https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm

3) Verify video file plays on a different computer.

4) Task Manager-> (right-click Start),
make sure CPU and memory aren't maxed out

What photonboy said. Except for VLC, changing video players won't help. All video players just call Windows to handle the video decoding for them. If Windows doesn't have the proper codec installed, it won't be able to decode the video, or will have trouble doing so. So install a good codec library like K-Lite. VLC is unique in that it uses its own built-in codecs, and doesn't rely on Windows. So it's a good video player to keep on the side to help you diagnose problems (or just use it as your standard video player if you don't want to bother with installing codecs).

Also, MKV is just a container. The actual video file can be any number of formats - MPEG4, Xvid (MPEG4 + ASP), H.264, or now H.265. So just because one mkv video players doesn't mean all mkv videos will play, and vice versa. Other popular "video formats" are also just containers as well - AVI, MP4, WMV, etc. They're just containers which glue a video file, an audio file, subtitle file, chapter index, etc. together into a single file. Installing a codec library adds support for MPEG4, Xvid, H.264, etc., especially for non-standard or new or non-standard implementations like Hi10 (10-bit encoding).

Solution

Richardelle

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017

I just use UFUSoft Blu-ray Video Player to play mkv videos and blu ray disc movies on windows 10 successfully, hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.