[SOLVED] Can't play shop-brought DVDs using VLC media player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2019
I can never play shop-brought DVDs using VLC media player on Windows. Do I need to install an extra something to make the DVDs play?

Solution
There's a third-party application called AnyDVD HD that installs itself as a driver, it will intercept 99.9% of the dvd's you put in the drive and they will show up as unencrypted to the system. Then VLC or anything else will play it. I won't link it here because it exists in a legal gray area depending on your country, but you can easily google it. It does cost money though, unfortunately. But they keep it updated with all the latest titles.
Some store bought DVDs have copy protection/DRM which will stop vlc from playing them,you will have to use a third party decoding tool like anydvd to make it look like a free DVD.

I have no idea if anydvd or any other such tool manages to decrypt 100% of all disks so if you go that route read up on the movies you own at least.

Also DVD players cost nothing right now and any console from like the last 20 years will also happily play DVD movies.

Jun 12, 2019
Some store bought DVDs have copy protection/DRM which will stop vlc from playing them,you will have to use a third party decoding tool like anydvd to make it look like a free DVD.

I have no idea if anydvd or any other such tool manages to decrypt 100% of all disks so if you go that route read up on the movies you own at least.

Also DVD players cost nothing right now and any console from like the last 20 years will also happily play DVD movies.

I looked through some other forums and found someone else unable to play DVDs using VLC was suggested to try this:
Step 1. Download the new libdvdread/libdvdnav/libdvdcss;
Step 2: To successfully install it, you must do as follow:
• Open the libdvdcss
• Find & enter the subdirectory libdvdcss
• Execute the command
./configure
make
make install

I started to install these but don't understand what it means by "Find & enter the subdirectory libdvdcss" and "Execute the command
./configure
make
make install"

Jun 12, 2019
What would you say is the best video player for watching DVDs on your laptop?
How come TV DVD players can play these disks and a laptop DVD player can't?

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
There's a third-party application called AnyDVD HD that installs itself as a driver, it will intercept 99.9% of the dvd's you put in the drive and they will show up as unencrypted to the system. Then VLC or anything else will play it. I won't link it here because it exists in a legal gray area depending on your country, but you can easily google it. It does cost money though, unfortunately. But they keep it updated with all the latest titles.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS