Question Can't remote print - HP Smart

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm suddenly unable to print remotely? When I'm at home, the Smart app sees my printer and all is good but away from home and using my mobile data or another WiFi connection, all I get is "Printer unavailable." It's like it loses connection to the printer altogether.

Screenshot-2023-08-29-20-35-44-146-com-hp-printercontrol-edit.jpg

Everything was fine until a month or so ago. Nothing on the printer or my smartphone have changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Can you access your home network from outside?

Does your app have all permissions necessary to get in contact?
your phone might need access to your location, bluetooth, files...

reinstall the app

is you hp account still paired with your printer and is the switch "allow printing from anywhere" set?
did you enable the option "private pickup"?

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
I think you could be on to something there... maybe my home router is blocking the access. That said, I was under the impression that HP Smart managed the printer connectivity.

Everything is fine with the printer whilst I'm using on my home network.

The odd thing is, nothing has changed on my home network and it's only recently that I've been unable to print away from my home network.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Nothing on the printer or my smartphone have changed."

Does that mean that you did not (intentionally or otherwise) change anything?

There could have been some update or a glitch or some sort that effectively ended or blocked remote printing.

Double check all configuration settings via the HP SmartScreens.

Do you have a copy of the Printer Reports or Network Summary from before when remote printing was working? Use those reports to compare settings.

Something may have reverted to a default value. E.g., "allow printing from anywhere" as suggested by @helpstar. Check that.

Was the printer assigned a Static IP address?

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
It's weird, but HP Support are basically saying that the option to print remotely, not connected to the wifi/network that the printer sits on, has never been a thing... ePrint is offered as the solution.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately that all may now just be HP's doing by intent.

FYI:

https://www.hp.com/in-en/shop/tech-takes/post/what-is-hp-eprint

From the link:

" Instead of using a driver or a direct connection, HP ePrint’s cloud computing technology allows you to send your print job through an HP-managed server, directly to your printer of choice".

My underline.

Another example perhaps of a company wanting to be the "One ring"......

Not at all uncommon with devices such as routers, security cameras, IoT devices of any sort.

The above certainly not being a solution per se.

One possiblitity may be to set up the printer as a shared network device using an existing computer.

Then remotely access that computer to print. Main disadvantage being that that computer would need to always remain on, connected, and available.

There are other options that may be viable for you:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/can-i-print-my-office-printer-from-home-cs-group-ltd

VPN ( #4 )perhaps....

Reactions: slipd83