Question Can't Remove Virtual CD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2019
I can't delete a virtual CD drive that was created by Power ISO. Here's how I got into this mess:

1) Used Power ISO to try to mount a Windows 10 ISO for creating bootable media on my flash drive

2) It wouldn't mount properly. Apparently the free version can't mount an ISO larger than 300Mb.

3) I tried to uninstall Power ISO and got an error saying certain dll files couldn't be removed because they were in use by another program. I continued to uninstall the rest of the files

4) I see the virtual cd (D:) drive is still there (I really regret not unmounting before deleting Power ISO) with a file mounted named "CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9." It's 5Gb and contains various bootable media files.

5) When I try to eject I get a generic error message "an error occured while ejecting CD Drive (D:) <previously mentioned file>

6) I can't manually delete the files using keyboard shortcut or by dragging and dropping into recycle bin.

7) I tried deleting the drivers for it but it isn't showing up in device manager.

Is there a way to disable it in the registry and forcibly delete it? Would deleting the dll files screw up other files they're referencing? I'm not yet the most computer savvy person in the world. Please explain it to me as a person who only holds an A+ certification.

I don't know if it's relevant but my OS is Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.379

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Try reinstalling PowerISO, unmounting, then uninstall PowerISO.

Older versions of windows would let you use System Restore to get yourself out of screwups like this. But Microsoft no longer turns it on by default with Windows 10. if by chance you did turn it on, you can revert to a previous restore point to get back to your system state without a mounted virtual CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.