Question Can't seem to see the startup/P.O.S.T with my new 5500 XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
just upgraded to the sapphire pulse 5500XT the other day, and I can't seem to see when I first boot up my rig it's start up and P.O.S.T? what seems to be the problem? could I have had mounted it wrong, it is running though and performing within it's parameters which is odd, by the time I see anything it would be the win 10 log-in screen and then putting me to desktop

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Next boot up, press the applicable key to go into BIOS. Check the POST related configuration settings. Change the settings to be as verbose as possible and to change the boot process so you can have time to actually look at and read what the POST process displays.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Try putting back your old GPU and update your BIOS:
  1. Go to the site of the mothermoard manufacturer
  2. Go to downloads/support (or something simular) and type in your motherboard model
  3. Click on drivers/downloads
  4. Look for BIOS, UEFI or firmware. Make sure to choose the latest version.
  5. Follow the instuctions provided by the manufacturer.

Do this at your own risk. Make sure you have the correct file for the correct model and DON'T shutdown or unplug your pc while updating.

If this doesn't work, it might be time for a new motherboard or PSU (if it doesn't have enough power)

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Next boot up, press the applicable key to go into BIOS. Check the POST related configuration settings. Change the settings to be as verbose as possible and to change the boot process so you can have time to actually look at and read what the POST process displays.

Thank you for your response and my apologies for not posting my full hardware specs

These are my currently existing parts

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z87 Mpower MAX
Processor: Intel 4670k Processor
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Graphics Card: Sapphire Pulse 5500XT 8GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO drive128gb
HDD: Seagate barracuda 3tb
RAM: Corsair DDR 3 Vengeance 8x2 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair AX 760 (Platinum Rated)
Case: Corsair 300r

when I do get to my desktop it runs as it's intended, but I'm just concerned what if (not really an if but when I do) need to reformat the rig how will I see the start-up or troubleshoot without seeing the P.O.S.T screen

and what do you mean with this "Change the settings to be as verbose as possible"?

and no, I didn't enable fast boot with this cause I wanna see the P.O.S.T (old habits die hard)

Try putting back your old GPU and update your BIOS:
  1. Go to the site of the mothermoard manufacturer
  2. Go to downloads/support (or something simular) and type in your motherboard model
  3. Click on drivers/downloads
  4. Look for BIOS, UEFI or firmware. Make sure to choose the latest version.
  5. Follow the instuctions provided by the manufacturer.
Do this at your own risk. Make sure you have the correct file for the correct model and DON'T shutdown or unplug your pc while updating.

If this doesn't work, it might be time for a new motherboard or PSU (if it doesn't have enough power)

thanks for the reponse but the old GPU I understand why we need to put back (to troubleshoot if it's a card or board problem), but why do I need to update my mobo BIOS? isn't it supposed to be a "touch and go" type of replacement?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
By verbose I mean that you should configure POST to run all tests and to display what POST is doing step by step.

Objective being to be watch the POST progress as a way to troubleshoot.

The system will take longer to boot which is why many people disable the verbose related options.

There should be some BIOS options that control such things - just go into BIOS and configure as necessary.

Once the problems are resolved then you can reverse the changes.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
thanks for the reponse but the old GPU I understand why we need to put back (to troubleshoot if it's a card or board problem), but why do I need to update my mobo BIOS? isn't it supposed to be a "touch and go" type of replacement?

While for most GPU's/boards it should work right away, I remeber having to update the BIOS once (for GTX 670 to 980 update). So maybe this might be one of those rare times where it's needed.

Since you said that it works fine once booted into the OS, I think the boot screen might only display on 1 video port. So if you use a HDMI or Displayport on the GPU, try plugging it into the motherboard, and if using it on the motherboard, try plugging it in on the GPU.

Edit: I looked at the support page for your motherboard, and the most recent BIOS changelog (2015-05-15, ver 1.9) has a few things that might help:
  • Improved AMD VGA compatibility
  • Update VBIOS
  • Hide item "IGD Multi-Monitor" when "Initiate Graphic Adapter" set to IGD
1.6 (2013-12-10) changes that might help:
- Improved VGA compatibility

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-MPOWER-MAX.html#down-bios

This makes me believe that the problem here would be an outdated BIOS. If you update your BIOS, do it at your own risk. Always make sure you follow the update steps carefully and don't lose power.

Last edited:

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Update: I successfully updated the BIOS but to no avail, didn't fixed the issue I was having

is it like this when when updating a "pretty old" rig with a new GPU?

because when I do get in the windows and restart, only then can I see the P.O.S.T

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Maybe try rescue, this works for me when my gpu locks up due to so much the overclocking. GPU will lock up and I just get the bsod so can't get card to do anything. If this sounds like your case try insert rescue media and see if it will allow you into windows. If that works then try boot to UEFI from windows. Once in bios check settings see if look ok then save and let boot up windows. This clears it for me either that or I have to clear cmos big pains in my case. Hopeful this helps :)

Would like to maybe say sometimes upgrade gpu can have the problems but not always. When I do current build pc I could not get 5700xt to settle in. I make the big mistake using drivers come with video card and these give me bsod over and over. In end I had to figure out what driver worked with my card . Eventually it works out and you get nice stable pc. Just try not get frustrated by it.

Last edited:

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Maybe try rescue, this works for me when my gpu locks up due to so much the overclocking. GPU will lock up and I just get the bsod so can't get card to do anything. If this sounds like your case try insert rescue media and see if it will allow you into windows. If that works then try boot to UEFI from windows. Once in bios check settings see if look ok then save and let boot up windows. This clears it for me either that or I have to clear cmos big pains in my case. Hopeful this helps :)

Would like to maybe say sometimes upgrade gpu can have the problems but not always. When I do current build pc I could not get 5700xt to settle in. I make the big mistake using drivers come with video card and these give me bsod over and over. In end I had to figure out what driver worked with my card . Eventually it works out and you get nice stable pc. Just try not get frustrated by it.

since I'm running out of ideas and it seems the problem just got worst by not booting to my windows desktop at all, what can you recommend as a live CD? though I am pretty sure I haven't overclocked anything

in case this matters when I removed my old MSI 7970 twin frozr iii 3GB card and inserted the new sapphire pulse 5500XT 8GB card, I didn't uninstall my graphics driver thinking you know, it's from the same brand and shouldn't matter anyways

curious question to any and all that may read this, is it possible a faulty hard drive is causing me not to boot directly to my windows desktop and see the P.O.S.T ? I have a failing hard drive like literally one boot you can see them, another time you boot up you don't, but it is not where the OS is installed so I thought it wouldn't affect it (the booting process) now I had to ask because aside from my old GPU being replaced, the failing hard drive is the other "odd" think that happened

Colif

Win 11 Master
Update: I successfully updated the BIOS but to no avail, didn't fixed the issue I was having

is it like this when when updating a "pretty old" rig with a new GPU?

because when I do get in the windows and restart, only then can I see the P.O.S.T
that is common behaviour for a PC with fast start-up turned on. the only time a PC with fast start-up on is actually off is a restart, hence you see bios flash screen. All other starts its actually waking up, not starting from scratch.
Now its possible the black screen caused by an old driver that doesn't like fast startup.

If you want to see bios screen every time, turn off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

since you boot off ssd you don't need fast startup, its more for hdd users.

Reactions: HappyTrails

4745454b

Titan
My 7950 did this. It's outputting on a different connection. I had four monitors attached to it. One over dvi, two over mDP, and atv attached via hdmi. When i booted up, only the dvi monitor would show anything. (Not sure annoy hdmi, the tv was usually off unless i was watching something. ) I'm guessing this is normal behavior for amd cards. If you need to see your bios, use a different connection.

Colif

Win 11 Master
op can see bios, on a restart. if they couldn't see it at all, then I would agree its showing on a different monitor. This sounds like PC is starting fast enough to not show bios flash screen at boot.

How long does it take to boot to logon screen?
mine shows bios screen, and literally a second later the lock screen. no windows loading screens at all.
If I had fast startup on, I wouldn't see bios as PC is already on before I hit power button, it doesn't need to show that screen.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
that is common behaviour for a PC with fast start-up turned on. the only time a PC with fast start-up on is actually off is a restart, hence you see bios flash screen. All other starts its actually waking up, not starting from scratch.
Now its possible the black screen caused by an old driver that doesn't like fast startup.

If you want to see bios screen every time, turn off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

since you boot off ssd you don't need fast startup, its more for hdd users.

I see, windows 10 really did put a lot of tricks, some useful some annoying, others literally breaks the machine

really thought fast boot was just a BIOS thing (which is also disabled)

My 7950 did this. It's outputting on a different connection. I had four monitors attached to it. One over dvi, two over mDP, and atv attached via hdmi. When i booted up, only the dvi monitor would show anything. (Not sure annoy hdmi, the tv was usually off unless i was watching something. ) I'm guessing this is normal behavior for amd cards. If you need to see your bios, use a different connection.

it's not the 7970 that's doing it, it's the new sapphire pulse 5500XT 8GB, when I plugged that card in I never even had a normal boot sequence with it ever since last week, when my hard drive (not a OS drive, just for storage) started giving away when I started hard restarting my rig (due to my "old" 7970 going to black which was why it was replaced)

op can see bios, on a restart. if they couldn't see it at all, then I would agree its showing on a different monitor. This sounds like PC is starting fast enough to not show bios flash screen at boot.

How long does it take to boot to logon screen?
mine shows bios screen, and literally a second later the lock screen. no windows loading screens at all.
If I had fast startup on, I wouldn't see bios as PC is already on before I hit power button, it doesn't need to show that screen.

the time it takes the moment I press the power button, about a minute or so, before the GPU was replaced and the HDD became faulty it'd take 20-40 secs and I would still have ample time to see the P.O.S.T and BIOS

any chance a faulty HDD could affect the boot seqeuence? it's not on boot order #1 but I just had to ask in case it does affect the boot sequence somehow, currently working to salvage whatever files I can and might remove the sata and power connectors once i finish scrounging whatever files I can find

Colif

Win 11 Master
try removing hdd and see if speed is faster as it should be quicker if you running off ssd - turn off fast start-up first.
PC may still check all hardware attached at startup and if hdd doesn't answer right away, it can take a while before it stops waiting

fast boot in bios removes certain checks it does before handing control to windows
Fast start-up in win 10 is entirely different.
If PC has fast start-up on, its never off. When you shut it down it saves a copy of all open drivers + some other files into either ram or hyberfile.sys. It then puts PC to sleep. On start-up, since half the files are already in ram it should jump into action and take less time to start.
I don't use it as if you have ssd or faster, its not really helping as they fast enough already.

Last edited:

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
try removing hdd and see if speed is faster as it should be quicker if you running off ssd - turn off fast start-up first.
PC may still check all hardware attached at startup and if hdd doesn't answer right away, it can take a while before it stops waiting

fast boot in bios removes certain checks it does before handing control to windows
Fast start-up in win 10 is entirely different.
If PC has fast start-up on, its never off. When you shut it down it saves a copy of all open drivers + some other files into either ram or hyberfile.sys. It then puts PC to sleep. On start-up, since half the files are already in ram it should jump into action and take less time to start.
I don't use it as if you have ssd or faster, its not really helping as they fast enough already.

thanks, removed the HDD and disabled the win10 software fastboot setting and it is indeed faster (around 20-40 secs) but it still doesn't solve the original problem of me not seeing seeing the startup P.O.S.T with the new 5500 XT when it is first booted up for the day, is it possible I could've gotten a "lemon"? or are there something I can still troubleshoot?

to be honest, me not seeing the boot when I first boot up for the day is a none issue (provided it does indeed eventually go to the windows 10 desktop) but I ain't waiting around for my rig to be broken in the future to ask how to get in the BIOS without seeing anything (thanks to the current issue it has) in hopes to reformat a old SSD/newly inserted SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.