[SOLVED] Can't take write protection off my SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2020
I had a BSOD (Memory-management) after which my windows gave me the grey screen of death. I reinstalled windows on a different ssd because i wasn't able to install it on the NVME M.2 SSD i had it on (HP EX900 256gb). once the new windows installed i tried formatting it but it wouldn't allow me to do it saying that it's write protected. i tried to remove the write protection from the cmd as admin but that didn't work, though cmd seemed to think it was working and telling me that the commands are working as they should, eventhough they weren't. i tried 2 partition manager tools to try and fix it but to no avail. Is there any way i can recover my SSD? i don't mind if i have to format it but it won't even allow me to do that.

Solution
Have you tried to assign the new SSD a drive letter in Windows? See if that makes any difference.
Is the new SSD set as GPT or MNT? If it is MNT try converting it to GPT using Disk Management.

convert-to-gpt-disk.jpg
Apr 2, 2020
thank you so much for your reply! i would attempt to do that but it doesn't even appear as a drive in my computer. if i could get it to appear then i could certainly try this

Ralston18

Titan
You might be able to use Powershell to remove the write protections.

Reference:

https://blog.netwrix.com/2018/04/18/how-to-manage-file-system-acls-with-powershell-scripts/

And you can google for other similar links.

However, for the most part if you stay with just "Get" you may find where the write protection is being initiated.

Then you can consider "Set".

If you are not familiar with Powershell or otherwise working at a more involved "command" level then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

As always, be sure that all important data is backed up, recoverable, and proven readable.

You should only need "Read" rights to do that.

Reactions: SherlyHolmez
Apr 2, 2020
Thanks so much for your response! i'll explore the link. I'm studying Computer Science in university so i have a fair understand of CMD but i'll still be careful. I honestly don't care about losing the data, it was a bunch of games and my old operating system which i no longer need

Apr 2, 2020
Sure!

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3000Mhz 16gb
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk.
GPU: ASUS Strix OC GTX 1080
PSU: Coolermaster MWE750
SSD with current OS: intel S180 180gb
Busted SSD: HP Ex900 nvme m.2 256gb

I listed everything i thought that could have any relation to my problem, hope it helps!

Apr 2, 2020
Yes it does but it shows up as write protected, it won't allow me to do anything to do it. Also, i've noticed something strange since removing it. It sounds quite absurd, i realize, but my computer used to rumble with the NVME in there. i removed it when i couldn't figure out how to wipe it and that rumbling stopped...could it perhaps be that i didn't seat it correctly?

Yes it does but it shows up as write protected, it won't allow me to do anything to do it. Also, i've noticed something strange since removing it. It sounds quite absurd, i realize, but my computer used to rumble with the NVME in there. i removed it when i couldn't figure out how to wipe it and that rumbling stopped...could it perhaps be that i didn't seat it correctly?
Where did you get this SSD? Did you just buy it retail or is was pulled from a different computer?

Apr 2, 2020
Have you tried to assign the new SSD a drive letter in Windows? See if that makes any difference.
Is the new SSD set as GPT or MNT? If it is MNT try converting it to GPT using Disk Management.

convert-to-gpt-disk.jpg
i have attempted to do this using diskpart and aomei and i get the message that it's been done successfully but when i go to check, the changes were either never made or were reverted instantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS