Question Can't Turn On HDR On PC

Aug 19, 2022
Just as the title reads, I'm unable to turn on HDR through windows display settings. As soon as I toggle it on, it immediately turns itself back off. The display is the Vizio M658-G1 And it does support HDR. I thought maybe I was using the wrong port, but in order to rule that out, I tested it on every port. When I go to the TV's input settings on turn on UHD the screen goes black and the PC stops reading the TV as an output. I've been trying to fix this for months and can't find anything online. At one point I thought my GPU was too weak to display 4K HDR but I've since upgraded to a 3070ti and no luck.
*I don't have another HDR display to test with.
PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Itach1uch1ha/saved/#view=9dxv4D
TV: https://www.vizio.com/en/tv/m-series/M658-G1

I thought maybe I was using the wrong port, but in order to rule that out, I tested it on every port.
all ports on your TV supports 4K @ 120Hz

When I go to the TV's input settings on turn on UHD the screen goes black and the PC stops reading the TV as an output.
thats how you enable HDR support on your TV
device manager doesnt show your TV when enabled?

try updating TV firmware
have you contacted vizio?

Just as the title reads, I'm unable to turn on HDR through windows display settings. As soon as I toggle it on, it immediately turns itself back off. The display is the Vizio M658-G1 And it does support HDR. I thought maybe I was using the wrong port, but in order to rule that out, I tested it on every port. When I go to the TV's input settings on turn on UHD the screen goes black and the PC stops reading the TV as an output. I've been trying to fix this for months and can't find anything online. At one point I thought my GPU was too weak to display 4K HDR but I've since upgraded to a 3070ti and no luck.
*I don't have another HDR display to test with.
PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Itach1uch1ha/saved/#view=9dxv4D
TV: https://www.vizio.com/en/tv/m-series/M658-G1

It may be the input signal processor. If it's a smart TV it might have the support for HDR. But it requires a certain HDMI specification to support HDR @ 4K. HDMI 2.0 only support HDR @ 4K/60FPS. If you are trying more than that, you are likely out of luck.

Aug 19, 2022
all ports on your TV supports 4K @ 120Hz

thats how you enable HDR support on your TV
device manager doesnt show your TV when enabled?

try updating TV firmware
have you contacted vizio?
I'm currently speaking to a support agent. He had me do a few things such as updating and factory resetting the tv. Neither worked. He now wants to send an update to the tv. Device manager reads the TV as "Generic PnP Monitor".
I connected my 4K Fire Stick TV and 4K HDR works with it. So it's definitely something with my PC.
Heres the HDMI I'm using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8929Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edit: After further inspection of the HDMI, it seems it isn't truly 2.1. I will order another that is and test again. (the reason why the HDMI is so long is that my tv is on the wall across the room.)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022
Cap your refresh at 60/4K and see what happens.
It's defaulted at 4k60. I switched it to 4k30 to test if it would work, and it did. But it didn't look anything like HDR. The switch did stay on though. I'm fairly certain the HDMI is the problem. I looked into it and apparently, it's difficult for an HDMI < 15 feet to support 4k60 HDR. I can't afford a 30ft HDMI 2.1 so I've given up on HDR for the time being.

It's defaulted at 4k60. I switched it to 4k30 to test if it would work, and it did. But it didn't look anything like HDR. The switch did stay on though. I'm fairly certain the HDMI is the problem. I looked into it and apparently, it's difficult for an HDMI < 15 feet to support 4k60 HDR. I can't afford a 30ft HDMI 2.1 so I've given up on HDR for the time being.
just looked in tv manuals and it says 120hz effective refresh rate, which is indeed 60hz
then its hdmi 2.0, length doesnt matter as long cable can provide 18Gbit, i have 10meter cable and its ok, while my old 6meter cable was causing random image dropouts (black screen)

hdr at 4k 60hz cannot be done in RGB, you will need to switch to ycbcr 4:2:0

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Aug 19, 2022
just looked in tv manuals and it says 120hz effective refresh rate, which is indeed 60hz
then its hdmi 2.0, length doesnt matter as long cable can provide 18Gbit, i have 10meter cable and its ok, while my old 6meter cable was causing random image dropouts (black screen)

hdr at 4k 60hz cannot be done in RGB, you will need to switch to ycbcr 4:2:0
Is that something I change through my PCs display settings? or my TV? Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of this.

can be changed in nvidia control panel, under change resolution
q9IVcb6.png

here switch to "use nvidia color settings"
output dynamic range will need to stay at limited, output color format you can change to 444/422/420 and output color depth you can change to 8/10/12 bits

here are settings which you can try:
4K@60 - 4:4:4 8bit HDR - 17.82Gbit
4K@60 - 4:2:2 12bit HDR - 17.82Gbit
4K@60 - 4:2:2 10bit HDR - 15.xxGbit
4K@60 - 4:2:0 12bit HDR - 13.37Gbit
4K@60 - 4:2:0 10bit HDR - 11.14Gbit

which one will work depends on available bandwith from your cable, you can start from lowest bandwith HDR and going up until it stops working,

hdmi 2.0 is rated for18Gbit, but long copper cable usualy ends up with loosing bandwith over long distance...depends on how thin copper wires are in that cable...its recommended to go with fiber hdmi cable when you need long distance

Aug 19, 2022
can be changed in nvidia control panel, under change resolution
q9IVcb6.png

here switch to "use nvidia color settings"
output dynamic range will need to stay at limited, output color format you can change to 444/422/420 and output color depth you can change to 8/10/12 bits

here are settings which you can try:
4K@60 - 4:4:4 8bit HDR - 17.82Gbit
4K@60 - 4:2:2 12bit HDR - 17.82Gbit
4K@60 - 4:2:2 10bit HDR - 15.xxGbit
4K@60 - 4:2:0 12bit HDR - 13.37Gbit
4K@60 - 4:2:0 10bit HDR - 11.14Gbit

which one will work depends on available bandwith from your cable, you can start from lowest bandwith HDR and going up until it stops working,

hdmi 2.0 is rated for18Gbit, but long copper cable usualy ends up with loosing bandwith over long distance...depends on how thin copper wires are in that cable...its recommended to go with fiber hdmi cable when you need long distance
Output color format was set to YCbCr420 by default. The dropdown menu doesn't display any other options. Screen Cap