[SOLVED] I can't update BIOS on MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II ?

Cshaba

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hello,

I can't update my bios. I tried everything including the flash bios button. Also via USB flash drive. The problem with the Bios Flash Button was that it flashed a few times and then it remained solid red, nothing changed for a long time and it didn't even update. I also changed the file name to MSI.ROM. I tried it with 4GB and 32GB flash drives and they were all formatted to FAT32, but somehow M-FLASH didn't show the file in the folder ?
What could be the problem or how could I fix the update? I have not been able to update since.
This is my current bios: AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0. (version: 7C02vH3, date: 30 Nov 2020)

My configuration:
  • AMD Ryzen 2600X (Brocken ECO Advanced)
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
  • 16GB Ripjaws memory 3200Mhz
  • Nvidia GTX 970 4GB video card
  • Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Solution
Hello,

I can't update my bios. I tried everything including the flash bios button. Also via USB flash drive. The problem with the Bios Flash Button was that it flashed a few times and then it remained solid red, nothing changed for a long time and it didn't even update. I also changed the file name to MSI.ROM. I tried it with 4GB and 32GB flash drives and they were all formatted to FAT32, but somehow M-FLASH didn't show the file in the folder ?
What could be the problem or how could I fix the update? I have not been able to update since.
This is my current bios: AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0. (version: 7C02vH3, date: 30 Nov 2020)

My configuration:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II...
Hello,

My configuration:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
  • 16GB Ripjaws memory 3200Mhz
  • Nvidia GTX 970 4GB video card
  • Samsung 850 EVO SSD
I'd say use the m-Flash utility in the BIOS to update with. It's quite reliable and you don't have to worry about renaming the BIOS file and can even browse to it in a lower nested folder. But you do have to be sure to extract it from the distribution archive.

The file to extract is named E7C02AMS.H63 and is 17.2MB. Put it on the USB stick drive, then re-boot into BIOS and go to the M-Flash utility and run it.

Solution