Question Can't update PRIME B450 - PLUS

Barneyneedshelp

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
only info needed = i just had to do full install of windows (because it was corrupt due to hard drive) means i lost EVERYTHING including all firmware updates and etc... when i was building this pc i never needed a .CAP file (it let me update via pc) but now it downloads as .CAP and i have no idea how to utilize it!!!!

PC crashes ever 10>30 mins due to processor crash because bios is not updated PLEASE HELP!!!

Barneyneedshelp

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
PLEASE!!!! i am freaking out here... if my processor KEEPS crashing it will go BOOOM!!!!!!! and i have zero computer until i can afford another for 6 months time!!!! (processor is ryzen 1600!!!!)

Wolfshadw

Titan
A hard drive crash or corrupt Windows is not going to affect your motherboard BIOS. I'd say something else has gone wrong, but if you need to start with re-updating the BIOS, then it would help if you listed your full system specifications:

Motherboard:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM:
Storage (SSD/HDD):
Graphics Card:
Power Supply:
Operating System:

-Wolf sends

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Barneyneedshelp

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
wel i know its not a HDD issue... i KNOW for a fact its a BIOS issue because i l;oocked up CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error and it says PROCESSOR CRASH due to bios

other info =

windows 10 pro 64
8 gig ddr 4 @2666
gtx 1060 3 gig
ryzen 1600 6 core @ 3.1

no idea of SSD speed and cant stay on long enough to find out (crashes anywhere from 30 sec/5 mins/30 mins)

sometimes crash = BSOD sometimes a system FREEZE

but every time it happens processor spike at 98% edven only searching internet

Sep 14, 2019
The easiest way is just get a cheap usb flash drive and use it to install the bios update. From what I know is that you can't really update a b450 without a flashdrive.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Barneyneedshelp

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
think i found a temp fix??? while doing CMD scannow and DISM fixes... it has not crashed at all... so basically it looks like having CMD open stops the crash, can any genius (no offence) figure out why this works? might explain my core issues???

sfc scannow and DISM returned zero issues

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
but everwhere i look flashing the bios people says will almost deffinately kill it
Those people are wrong. The biggest risk from a BIOS update is if it gets interrupted, e.g. from a power outage. So don't do it in the middle of thunder storm and if you live somewhere with unreliable power maybe look into a UPS. Always make sure to update the BIOS from within the BIOS, rather than using a update tool in Windows. Follow those rules and you should be fine.

Barneyneedshelp

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
ok well thanks so much for all the advice... sorry it took a while to get back, decided to let pc try and cool down from all the crashes + restarts...

final info before i decide to flash the bios then (just in case this makes it different replies)

so with pc idle (but CMD open) = no crash (pc idle with no CMD = crash) pc with CMD open + installing anything = crash