Question Can't use multiple GPUs on my ASRock z490 phantom gaming 4 motherboard

Jan 12, 2022
So i have 2 GPU's (1660super and 3060ti non lhr) i enabled 4g coding and changed PCI to gen2 in my bios settings but when i put those two on my motherboard i'm getting a grey screen when i boot my rig. I tried changing the pci slots with the risers and then it worked but then when i go to hiveos my Geforce 3060ti's name changed to GA104 and it won't show the memory of the card nor the hashrate, temperature... so basically it's not mining. But my 1660 super works like it should. And if i let them mine separetely there is no problem with the cards. Can anyone help me so that i can mine with both my gpu's?

Jan 12, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy use for gaming and mining - correct?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

0.6-213@211227 this is my OS version, i am new to mining so i bought all the parts 1 month ago, so basically they are brand new.
PSU: corsair RM 850X
16 GB RAM DDR4
CPU: Intel i3-10100
SSD: 120GB Kingston

Jan 12, 2022
This: "Geforce 3060ti's name changed to GA104"

Where did you get the 3060ti?

Are you able to install the 3060ti in another known working computer to test the GPU and get specs.

FYI:

https://makmodo.com/how-to-check-graphics-card-on-windows-11/

Should work for Windows 10 as well.

I bought it second hand but it works perfectly, if i let the 3060ti solo mine then it shows on the site hiveos Geforce RTX 3060ti nvidia samsung GDDR6 and it works fine.
The same for 1660, solo mine works but when i want to mine with both gpu's then either it shows a grey screen when i boot my rig or it shows both the gpu's on the hiveos site but the 3060ti name changes to GA104 (geforce rtx 3060ti) and it doesnt show the memory nor the hashrate etc... but the 1660s works fine.

Ralston18

Titan
That sort of leaves the Corsair RM 850X as a suspect.

How old? History of heavy use for previous mining, gaming, video editing?

Some quick checking revealed that the 1660's recommended PSU is 450 watts. The 3060ti is 400 watts. Total being 850 watts.

Note: One site listed 600 watts for the 3060ti.

And that total does not include the power requirements for all other components in the build.

My thought is that if each GPU works/mines independently without issue then the two together are demanding or can demand more power that the PSU can provide.

Not familiar with hiveos (full disclosure) so I cannot explain the name change.

Were you able to check the GPUs per the link I referenced in Post #4?

Jan 12, 2022

Some quick checking revealed that the 1660's recommended PSU is 450 watts. The 3060ti is 400 watts. Total being 850 watts.

And that total does not include the power requirements for all other components in the build.

My thought is that if each GPU works/mines independently without issue then the two together are demanding or can demand more power that the PSU can provide.

I doubt that, because i saw on youtube multiple people that mined with 4x 3060ti and they had 1x 1200w PSU.

And for the GPU i don't really know how to check it because i run hive os on my ssd which is a linux operating system.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"i saw on youtube multiple people that mined with 4x 3060ti and they had 1x 1200w PSU. "

Yes: they may well indeed be mining with that setup but how long it will last - that is another matter.

Likely so. However the overall load of the entire system matters along with the quality and age of the PSU.

Older, heavily used PSUs degrade and lower tier products can do so even more quickly.

Google "What happens to an overloaded PSU".

Sample (randomly picked) link"

https://techwithtech.com/psu-too-weak/

= = = =

Take a closer look at your mining rig.

Start here:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the immediate intent of purchasing a new PSU.

Just to get a sense of the bigger picture and run a few of the calculators.

These recommendations are for a total system with those cards installed. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
@rolli59

Thanks.

So using that source: GTX 1660 (1600 series) = 430 watts, 3060ti = 575 watts.

Total wattage for the two mining GPUs = 1,005 watts.

My "margins" would bump that wattage value to 1,200 watts.

Does that resulting value fit into the overall situation?

Which is my overall thought being that the current PSU is not providing enough power to mine. And 1,200 watts would be necessary.