[SOLVED] Cant use my laptop as second screen

Oct 21, 2019
So i plugged my laptop to my PC graphic card, i set everything up on laptop, but my pc is still unable to detect it.

I tried different cable, i updated both windows to same version, i have all drivers updated, my main screen is conected via displayu port (idk if important) and when i open my display setting and there should be "change apperance of your display" with the two screen with numbers on them i dont even detect screen "1"

Solution
I remember using laptop as second screen with my old pc few years ago, and on internet there is a lot of tutorials how to do it

the vast majority of laptops have output only. if the laptop is made for video editing and has a capture card connected then it should work, but MOST are output only. which parts were you using when it worked?
there may be a software solution I do not know of but as far as the hardware in laptops they are designed to take only one input.

this?
this is just telling you how to setup the laptop monitor as the secondary display. connect the monitor and tell the laptop to use the exteranal display as the main one, the icons will move from...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
wrong way. you can connect a second monitor to the laptop, connect the GPU port to a monitor and turn on the feature with the proper Fkey.
you cannot use a laptops monitor as a second monitor on another system in that way. the screen on the laptop needs the specific hardware in the laptop and cannot be offloaded to other hardware.

the short:
laptop can get a second screen
laptop CANNOT be a second screen for another computer

Reactions: JQB45
Oct 21, 2019
wrong way. you can connect a second monitor to the laptop, connect the GPU port to a monitor and turn on the feature with the proper Fkey.
you cannot use a laptops monitor as a second monitor on another system in that way. the screen on the laptop needs the specific hardware in the laptop and cannot be offloaded to other hardware.

the short:
laptop can get a second screen
laptop CANNOT be a second screen for another computer
I remember using laptop as second screen with my old pc few years ago, and on internet there is a lot of tutorials how to do it

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

the vast majority of laptops have output only. if the laptop is made for video editing and has a capture card connected then it should work, but MOST are output only. which parts were you using when it worked?
there may be a software solution I do not know of but as far as the hardware in laptops they are designed to take only one input.

this?
this is just telling you how to setup the laptop monitor as the secondary display. connect the monitor and tell the laptop to use the exteranal display as the main one, the icons will move from the laptop to the larger external display. this is done in device manager under the displays.

I read that you wanted to use the screen on a laptop as a secondary monitor on a full desktop that already has a screen. essentially just using the laptop screen and the desktop. this is the scenario I am referring to

Last edited:
Reactions: JQB45
Solution
Oct 21, 2019
Oh i see, thanks for help, literally not a single website said anything about that, i dont remember what i was using back then. But still, thank you for answer. In that case i will just buy some cheap screen.