[SOLVED] Can't wipe HDD

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Hi there! I'm currently having an issue with wiping a HDD on my brothers new PC. We got basically all new components (aside from the HDD and Disk drive), and everything is powered up and working properly. We got a new SSD as well to help with the boot time of both windows as well as his games. I cloned everything on the HDD onto the SSD in hopes of wiping the HDD later on so that Windows 10 was on the SSD. However, when I go to wipe the HDD, it says that it's using the current version of windows and can't wipe it. Is there any way I can make the SSD the primary drive? Possibly in BIOS or something?

Solution
Hi there! I'm currently having an issue with wiping a HDD on my brothers new PC. We got basically all new components (aside from the HDD and Disk drive), and everything is powered up and working properly. We got a new SSD as well to help with the boot time of both windows as well as his games. I cloned everything on the HDD onto the SSD in hopes of wiping the HDD later on so that Windows 10 was on the SSD. However, when I go to wipe the HDD, it says that it's using the current version of windows and can't wipe it. Is there any way I can make the SSD the primary drive? Possibly in BIOS or something?
If there's active partition in any drive windows will not let you do it, You could use 3rd party program like Mini tool partition...
If there's active partition in any drive windows will not let you do it, You could use 3rd party program like Mini tool partition wizard https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html or Dban https://dban.org/ to securely wipe the disk.

Solution
You still using windows on HDD, not SSD.
On BIOS, set your SSD to 1st/top boot priority.