Question Can't XMP to max. Stuck at 2800mhz instead of 3200mhz. Need a help guys?

Jun 15, 2023
First My Specs

CPU – Intel I7 10700K
Motherboard – MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
GPU – MSI RTX 3060Ti 8GB Gaming X Trio
RAM – Adata XPG 16GB 3200mhz DDR4 Gammix D30
Adata XPG 16GB 3200mhz DDR4 Gammix D30
Cooler – Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black

I can't able to tweak memory above 2800mhz. Though my board and cpu supports 3200mhz.
I tried clearing cmos, tweaking voltages, changing Ram slots, used single ram
Still the error pops after the restart PC as "Overclocking Failed and blah blah"

Jun 15, 2023
What is your currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

EXACTLY which slots are your DIMMs installed in? Starting at the CPU socket, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being closest to the edge of the motherboard, which slots are populated?

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit?
Hey Darkbreeze, Thanks for the reply

My Bios version is 7C75vAC, which is latest released at 2022-06-15
Ram installed in optimized slots - 2 and 4
XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 DDR4 16GB (1x16GB) 3200MHz U-DIMM Desktop Memory/RAM - AX4U3200316G16A-SR30
I think there is no problem with ram stick, i tried with two different ram sticks and output is same

And to mention I once used 3200mhz without any issues, I changed my cooler and played with bios ends up with this issues. which I don't have any idea about how i landed into this issue.

Added the Images in above link
You have quite a different modules.
One is samsung single rank module, other is Hynix dual rank module.

Overclocking results will vary because of unmatched modules.
Set lanencies to 16-20-20-38
Set DDR voltage to 1.35V
Set command rate to 1T
Set frequency to 2133mhz, test.
Increase frequency gradually and test after each step 2400mhz,2600mhz,2800mhz,2933mhz,3000mhz,3200mhz.
When test fails, then return to previous settings, that worked.

Reactions: bornXdead
Jun 15, 2023
You have quite a different modules.
One is samsung single rank module, other is Hynix dual rank module.

Overclocking results will vary because of unmatched modules.
Set lanencies to 16-20-20-38
Set DDR voltage to 1.35V
Set command rate to 1T
Set frequency to 2133mhz, test.
Increase frequency gradually and test after each step 2400mhz,2600mhz,2800mhz,2933mhz,3000mhz,3200mhz.
When test fails, then return to previous settings, that worked.
Oh ok got it will try.

Yeah, your primary problem here is that you have unmatched DIMMs in use. You REALLY want to use memory that all came in the same kit, matched and tested at the factory for compatibility. Certainly in some cases mixed memory CAN work, and often does, but just as often it either won't, completely refusing to play nice together, or it will but with problems, or it will but only at lower than advertised frequencies and timings because the board cannot find a setting that works for both different DIMMs.

Please read the second section here titled "Mixed memory (Or the odd man out)".

Jun 15, 2023
Yeah, your primary problem here is that you have unmatched DIMMs in use. You REALLY want to use memory that all came in the same kit, matched and tested at the factory for compatibility. Certainly in some cases mixed memory CAN work, and often does, but just as often it either won't, completely refusing to play nice together, or it will but with problems, or it will but only at lower than advertised frequencies and timings because the board cannot find a setting that works for both different DIMMs.

Please read the second section here titled "Mixed memory (Or the odd man out)".

But I can't even achieve 3200mhz even by the single ram right? so I have some other problem in this case right.

Jun 15, 2023
Which slot are you trying to use when you try a single DIMM?

Neither module will run by itself at 3200mhz? Even if you try the configuration that Skynetrising suggested?
2nd ofcourse and tried 4th too same result. and that settings of Skynetrising is not achieving 3200mhz in single ram too in both slots.

Last edited:
Ok, so you changed the cooler and that is when the problems began. Did you take the CPU out of the socket when you changed the cooler, to clean it?

My advice right now would be to remove the cooler, remove the CPU, check to make sure there are no bent pins on the motherboard. You may need optical magnification like high powered reading glasses or a magnifying glass to more easily determine this because it only takes a very small deviation of even one pin to cause a variety of problems.

If there are no bent pins then clean and reinstall the CPU. Reinstall the CPU cooler but make certain that the backplate is correctly installed and that when you install the CPU cooler you tighten it in small increments, moving from once screw to the next and only tightening it a few turns each time in an X pattern or at least side to side or corner to corner incrementally. Make sure it is totally evenly tightened all the way around because a CPU cooler that is tighter in one spot or looser in one spot than all the other fasteners that hold it down can cause it to be "cocked" in the socket and act as though there were a bent pin or pins because it can actually cause some of the pins to lose contact.

If there are no bent pins and the CPU cooler is 100% properly installed, then I'd say you most likely have a faulty motherboard unless possibly both your sticks of memory either have problems or are simply both not fully compatible with your motherboard. Being the right "type" of memory does not automatically mean that a certain model of memory module will work with every motherboard.

And if we're being honest, Adata is mostly low end budget garbage. Yes, they have some few decent products, but they also have a lot of junk. It might just be that your board does not like the Adata memory and you may want to try other memory that is either validated for your motherboard on the memory manufacturers compatibility list or is on the motherboard QVL list.

Jun 15, 2023
Ok, so you changed the cooler and that is when the problems began. Did you take the CPU out of the socket when you changed the cooler, to clean it?

My advice right now would be to remove the cooler, remove the CPU, check to make sure there are no bent pins on the motherboard. You may need optical magnification like high powered reading glasses or a magnifying glass to more easily determine this because it only takes a very small deviation of even one pin to cause a variety of problems.

If there are no bent pins then clean and reinstall the CPU. Reinstall the CPU cooler but make certain that the backplate is correctly installed and that when you install the CPU cooler you tighten it in small increments, moving from once screw to the next and only tightening it a few turns each time in an X pattern or at least side to side or corner to corner incrementally. Make sure it is totally evenly tightened all the way around because a CPU cooler that is tighter in one spot or looser in one spot than all the other fasteners that hold it down can cause it to be "cocked" in the socket and act as though there were a bent pin or pins because it can actually cause some of the pins to lose contact.

If there are no bent pins and the CPU cooler is 100% properly installed, then I'd say you most likely have a faulty motherboard unless possibly both your sticks of memory either have problems or are simply both not fully compatible with your motherboard. Being the right "type" of memory does not automatically mean that a certain model of memory module will work with every motherboard.

And if we're being honest, Adata is mostly low end budget garbage. Yes, they have some few decent products, but they also have a lot of junk. It might just be that your board does not like the Adata memory and you may want to try other memory that is either validated for your motherboard on the memory manufacturers compatibility list or is on the motherboard QVL list.
Thank you Darkbreeze, it helped a lot. got a clarity of the issues I need to check. thank you appreciate it.