Question Capacitor fell off motherboard but PC seems to run fine ?

Sep 10, 2021
Hello,

I've found that a capacitor fell off my motherboard (ASUS P8P67-PRO). It was a silver barrel looking one that has since been lost. The PC still booted up and appears to run fine. I have heard that some of the capacitors are redundant and it can be ok to use without them.

I did go and build a new PC and was looking to maybe take this one and install Linux on it to get some exposure and learning of Linux.

Question is: would it be safe to use this motherboard?

The missing capacitor was from (bottom right hand corner by the TPU)... I can feel the broken off pins sticking up.

The missing capacitor was from (bottom right hand corner by the TPU)... I can feel the broken off pins sticking up.
It would probably be 'safe' in the sense that nothing attached will be damaged or it might catch fire or anything so dramatic as that. But the system might be unstable...or something will function unreliably or poorly. That's about all that can be said without some pictures that show the location of the component that's missing.

BTW, what you describes suggests it could repairable by a tech with moderate soldering skills.

Sep 10, 2021
I wouldn't let me attach a picture when I first posted. Here are the pictures of the board.

y4m0xvLBXmOeLiV45t53LGZd1rChLFBSzB7xu_cgM9b34tChG_k4ZQ46xJh2weSg-mS1cSzkFy9k7rzS-TgIWRMjFi8aCleL3pMSypBt_9eNaqEASy0E8X-CHbk-j0qJO9ylVvz7yHGttCY6oS8uJPkXQbtV7t1jnKipelygfEAMvagD5Km9N2nBFyYS53hSjCH

y4myHAycVPFoOXKkUQxq7NnIhH5QLKOs241_6ng4xjDy901BM53d6jWDFfo1pH3LdsxO3ql7OsZTu0e2yP-xghn01QNTXRCCeg0vkn39YCPb__wL_fvwPvKBJmQUB2qcz3lJ7FgZ9IH3H25CO469hOG8gFBs2Vvx7Zw6BZb64amMNfudwov1QLvlwj00tObKA1w