Carmack: PCs Not Important As Consoles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Consoles are retarded.

You should never buy one. You are basically buying another handicapped computer with blinders on it just to run your games. They are trying to train you to do this by offering some games only for consoles initially etc. because they know this and realize it will take pressure to get folks to do this (and it works...). If you also own a computer, you should be upset about this. Consoles were OK in the days of Pong and Pac Man when no one had computers... things are different now. We need to bring this train of woe to a screeching halt and turn it around! Stop feeding the corporate beast which wants you retarded and with inferior duplicate hardware. There is no reason everything cannot be on one PC that is highly upgreadeable these days.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
[citation][nom]GTO127[/nom]I wish ID would remake Doom and Doom II. Exactly the same game but a refresh of maps and of course incredible graphics. These games were so simple and easy to play compared to newer games which sometimes turn into a task instead of fun. I'm not saying the newer games are bad but I just think the industry needs to get back to the basics of simpler games to draw in more non gamers to make them into gamers. Like Nintendo did with the Wii. When Doom came out most any non gamer could pick it up and be playing in a few minutes. That's just not the case with most of the newer stuff out there today. [/citation]

OMG u r right. I would trade in the daunting "tasks" of modern games for larger maps, more scenery interactiveness, and more weapons any day.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Adding graphic realism to a game does not make it better or more fun. The problem with the PC gaming market, is that they keep adding to the realism, upping the hardware requirements. It's as if they have run out of ideas on how to make a fun game. Do we really need more than what Oblivion required?

Consoles have frozen the hardware requirements, forcing game developers to focus their talents on coming up with new ideas for games, than just rehashing older games with fancier graphics.

G

"Amen to that. John Carmack is just another John Romero. I'll laugh my ass off if Rage turns out to be another Daikatana. The likes of Carmack have gone to the darkside of GREED. They know they make more money with console games due to their proprietary formats. That's why you often see the same damn game retail for less on PC than on consoles. Get a life Carmack. I bet you've never even kissed a girl, or boy for that matter."

He's married.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Just to state a fact, PC gaming has always pushed the limits of PC Hardware. Whether it be current hardware or the next best thing, Crysis was not meant to be played by today's hardware. That's what PC gaming was all about, and should still be about. Having games push hardware limits whether we can run them maxed out or not. Even games like WOW back then ppl had trouble running that game maxed out, and even today sure you can run it maxed out but look how long it took to actually get hardware to run that damn game maxed out. For mid range PC builders you just got live with it, for High end enthusiasts well some times even the best hardware can barely run that game at max settings. That is a 2004 game. Ppl just compare consoles to PC gaming a bit 2 much. There is a big difference between a console gamer and a PC gamer. Those that choose both can understand the dilemma in which why so many young and older gamers choose consoles over PC's. You just got to know what your doing when your building a PC Rig, if you don't you get results that are more negative then your console. I for one will be keeping my mouse and keyboard for decades to come, the console can only do so much. And the fact that the hardware cannot change is what limits the possibilities with consoles. And with life cycles supposedly being 10 years now for consoles, i don't suppose games will get any better. I've seen the power of both consoles and i believe the power is maxed out on both of them, there might be a few tune ups here and there but the graphical power in games has been shown already. This is where consoles become stale and old and where the PC market begins to shine all over again. PC developers need to start getting to work on PC titles. New fresh titles to keep the PC scene alive and going. And to show that owning a PC makes it all worth it in the long run. This is how its always been, it should not change. People just need to step into PC gaming and just realize that this is how its always been, just because you new comers come along and think this is BS then you must have not been around for the 90's when games pushed the limits of PC hardware. My 2 cents. Enough said.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
PC's out of the race because graphics cards are WAY TO EXPENSIVE! You can buy two consoles for the price of a desent graphics card! Then you still have to buy the rest of the computer! And ppl wonder why PC's gaming is bad? When did MONEY stop to be a an issue?!
Nvidia and AMD is making a fortune, the industry is dying...

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Some of the people that played the original Doom, the die-hard older generation of fans would never pirate the game. There are many many Doom fans however, that would not hesitate. So while it may seem "wrong" not to make it a PC game, it somehow also does not seem right to reward those responsible for killing the industry which they so love. I don't know why everyone beats around the bush so much. Piracy is killing PC gaming. Computers are at an ALL TIME LOW as far as cost is concerned, so there is really no excuse for poor PC game sales. It's piracy. I wish everyone would stop beating around the bush and quit saying that isn't the cause of the drop in PC game sales.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]perzy[/nom]PC's out of the race because graphics cards are WAY TO EXPENSIVE! You can buy two consoles for the price of a desent graphics card! Then you still have to buy the rest of the computer! And ppl wonder why PC's gaming is bad? When did MONEY stop to be a an issue?!Nvidia and AMD is making a fortune, the industry is dying...[/citation]

Perzy, part of the reason for this is the higher cost of manufacturing. Bigger dies use more silicon, and as they drop to smaller processing (ie from 90soi to 55nm) they use less expensive silicon, which in turn reduces the price of the final product. Furthermore, there used to be 3 GPU companies (excluding Intel who doesn't really compete in gaming cards, yet) and the price rose to a premium when 3dfx dropped out of the running.

You want to complain about the cost of a PC but you can buy a graphics card that is about as fast as the GPU in an XBox360 for $100 or so. Figure in too that you pay a premium for XBox games - PC games get reduced in price sooner it would seem. The console might cost less, but the games do not. Furthermore, a PC is upgradeable and able to stay on the bleeding edge a bit longer. When run against a moderate gaming PC, the same game on a console cannot compare in graphics.

PC's out of the race because graphics cards are WAY TO EXPENSIVE! You can buy two consoles for the price of a desent graphics card! Then you still have to buy the rest of the computer! And ppl wonder why PC's gaming is bad? When did MONEY stop to be a an issue?!
Nvidia and AMD is making a fortune, the industry is dying...
First let me say you can bet console graphics with a ATI 3850 for $100. Secondly your going to pay out the nose for the games to make up for the consoles low price by pay licensing fees back to the console maker. You end up pay as much after a few games and end up with less quality games IE no updates or added content unless you pay more.

Piracy is a laugh because those who pirate games wouldn't buy them. Those that purchase games buy because feature of the games these being counterstike, diable 2, and world of warcraft. Valve started out on an Id engine and hit it big because they open up the engine to the gamer and thus counterstrike was born.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
consoles suk for so many reasons. beside what spiral already said. To play a good FPS well, you need a mouse and something like a keyboard. console controllers just cannot move and respond like a mouse with good feet on a good surface (I use custom teflon on a vinyl floor tile). People complain about having to upgrade a PC to play new titles. Gee what does that mean, duh it means the graphics and physics are more intence. duh duh duh. people who prefer consoles are in most respects just not ethusiasts, they are more casual gamers. I guess its easier if you want a bunch of titles that are less fun. I try new games but only a couple stick with me over time (MP FPS) ET + QW. I play almost everyday.
If I was forced to choose between playing them on console and not playing I would just quit. I tried Crysis it suks oh well. I wish they'd bring new maps for QW I'd pay handsomely.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Games on consoles may be pirated as well, it just takes some more balls (HW mod/warranty void).
I play abandonware games (or cheap games coming with a magazine) much more than new games because the quality (i.e. how much I enjoy playing the game which has little to do with its graphics/realism level) of contemporary games is so much lower (exceptions exist, though).
Crysis was one of the worst games I have ever played. No matter the development cost, it's hardly worth those $5 you pay for some magazine-attached games.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]Adding graphic realism to a game does not make it better or more fun. The problem with the PC gaming market, is that they keep adding to the realism, upping the hardware requirements. It's as if they have run out of ideas on how to make a fun game. Do we really need more than what Oblivion required?Consoles have frozen the hardware requirements, forcing game developers to focus their talents on coming up with new ideas for games, than just rehashing older games with fancier graphics.[/citation]
OMG I cant believe u said that. go back to pong if u think graphics dont matter! depth of realism is EVERYTHING in a game that's already good. good games dont need total reinventing but most can benifit from more complex and refined immersion. What does that ultimately mean to me? 180 degrees of display at like 12000x3000 resolution. (no VR helmets-bad idea imo). surround sound including above and below (what? are games flat?). photo-realitic rendering. some kind of (optically interactive?) dynamic range control would be exciting. realistic physics (including novel character and object physics) with 100% destructable environment. Technical improvements result in little things happeing in MPGs that more and more allow you to suspend disbelief of being there and doing that. If consoles get to the point they can do all that, then put a mouse on them and they'd be ok. Until then I look forward to trying the latest PC games with the latest hardware.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
photo-realitic rendering. some kind of (optically interactive?) dynamic range control would be exciting. realistic physics (including novel character and object physics) with 100% destructable environment
I do not encourage taking drugs but LSD trip already has all of this. :)
Yet, most people don't need that to amuse themselves.
depth of realism is EVERYTHING in a game that's already good
Easier said than done, I guess. Unfortunately, some developers seem to have the priorities reversed and it's people like you who encourage them.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I usually agree with Senior Carmack, but he's not thinking far ahead enough. It's consoles that, in the end, will be gone. Because in, at most, 20 years homes will come with a central processing core much as they have A/C and other utilities.

The die shrinkage, falling prices of memory, SSDs, gpu-integration and advances in wireless technology for full HD streaming mean that every person having their own system would be a waste of space and not nearly as efficient or fast for each user.

I think it's far more likely that most people will just plop down a screen, keyboard, and mouse and uplink them wirelessly for a new terminal, that has full multimedia capabilities. We can already do this today, with WHDMI and wireless mice/keyboards.

The only things we really need are hypervisors with full support (3D Acceleration mostly) and if possible wireless power transmission for convenience.

I'll keep my tin-foil undies on until they perfect and test that one out though.

PS: I bet more frugal people will just have thinner clients and Verizon fiber and let Google's cloud take care of things. If the users screen had enough built-in acceleration for things like 1080p and decent 3D acceleration, people could pay for performance or just have resource usage metered like a utility. In case people haven't been paying attention, science tends to grow exponentially, and lately the "future" has been getting here a lot sooner than we expected.

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
For me, it's a matter of what type of game you want to play.

FPS and MMO = computer
Sports and cars = console

But if I had to choose one, I would choose console hands down. Those of you arguing that consoles don't have upgradability...THAT'S THE POINT! It's BECAUSE I don't have to upgrade a console that makes it better. Oh and don't say, "that's a bad thing because consoles can't stay on the bleeding edge of performance." Console graphics always get better as time goes on. **Computer games require the consumer to adapt their hardware to their software. On the other hand, consoles require developers to adapt their software to our hardware.** Not to mention the compatability issue that was already brought up. All the time you hear..."Crysis only at 10fps on $xxxx rig, what's the problem!!??" I never hear someone say that about a console game...you get so much peace of mind knowing everything just works perfectly. No drivers, no M$ to deal with, no emulating, no DOA hardware, no HDD formatting, and best of all...NO TWEAKING required for any game to work on console.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Rofl blaming piracy for pc game woes so nobody pirates console game eh, i think not console piracy is just as big as pc piracy, every game on xbox 360 and ps2, ps3,wii,ds,gameboy,psp are out there on the net.

Its just like the satellite industry they chimed on about how it was impossible to crack blah blah blah there will be no piracy lol.

The reason why pc games are so few compared to console is because of bad management look at age of conan funcom seems bent on driving the game into the ground because of bad management decisions a huge amount of players leaving because it AO all over again.

Look at pc games they release them before they are done another bad management decision they need to make money or the project will collapse so they release half a game then patch it later, that really makes consumers angry i remember outpost from serria they released the game with no AI lol and a 50 meg patch that added it later, 50 meg download on modem there was no high speed at that time.

Do you realize that 90% of the pc game market game producers collapse because of operating costs and many games never get released, just look at how many failed gone bankrupt and got eaten up by EA.

Current example look a sins of the solar empire its a half finished game they a releasing parts in patches has no storyline just combat, next expansion they will add a storyline lol.

That does not happen with consoles they don't release half a game now if they did that with pc maybe there sales would be better.

But then there is digital distribution it getting BIG with high speed you can download your game from the net and update it in same place ie stardock.

lordmetroid

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I like having 360 games ported to PC eventually, that's the reson why I don't get a 360 because I get to play the games on my computer which have much better user interface and loading times.

There is a bunch more to games on PC than just tha AAA store titles, go to the indie scene(the ones that doesn't get published in stores) and check that out and find some goodies and innovation. Carmack has become square with old age. He is a good engineer but not a visionary. He is passé. With todays tools, available knowledge for free and processor power. Creating the games he has written is easier than never before. He keeps reiterating. It worked fine the first copuple of times but not anymore.

Quake Wars is awesome though he didn't make that one.

G

Doom 5, its just gonna be a revamp of ALL the same shit that was in original Doom. But with beter graphics. I stopped at Doom 3, when i saw another "ArchVile", i told myself... oh god... screw that.

There sure is a lot of imagination at ID Software *rolleyes*

*Go back playing Unreal*

G

In my comment i had never bought a game for pc.

wellll... let me see.
well yes
quake 1, ehhhh
unreal tournament
and final fantasy 11

and right now I'm not a big gamer fan neither in PC or in console.. but i will definitely put my buck on carmmack pocket. with those words he make me cry like a child..
that's an honorable man.. and man of his words
carmmack for president.

G

LMAO you slobs pirated and pirated and pirated like whores and now you're mad cause your own niggas deserted you

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
John Carmack is just "obsolete". Back in his day he did something original. Now he just keeps trying to rehash some form of virtual-hell (demons, lava and such) in some form of an FPS. PC users are all about cutting edge, so of course we will want something "new". Probably easy for a has-been like Carmack to move to consoles.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Oh boo ho...FPS games are not as popular on the PC as they once were. I'm tired of articles like this saying PC gaming is dead or dieing; it has simply evolved. PC gamers no longer just want to run around and shoot things. Been there done that since the early 90's.

As for PC hardware being too expensive to keep on the cutting edge, just do what I do. I buy all my hardware at Fr*'s and get the in-store 2 or 3 year warranty. Once my gear gets too outdated, I take it back piece by piece and have it warrantied. Granted, I don't keep on the cutting edge spending 4x the money for 1.5x the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.