[SOLVED] Case fan cable is slightly touching top of GPU, is this okay?

Syabatron

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hello! So I have to worry about every small thing my brain can think of with my PC, and this time it's about a case fan cable that is slightly touching the top of the GPU. Image: View: https://imgur.com/a/39VPK6U
- the angle is a bit wonky, but when looking at it from the side the only part of the cable that is actually touching the GPU is the part that is on top of the PCB.

Now I know that because everything is insulated, it won't damage anything, but I'm worried if the cable is going to melt. Do you think the GPU will produce enough heat where the cable is to where it actually melts the cable? I've seen that the GPU itself doesn't get as hot as the core, but no one ever says how hot the outside of the GPU actually gets when the core is at like 80c.

It's been like this for about 1-2 months if it makes a difference.

Thank you!

Solution
The jacket on the wire is either rated at 75°C or 90°C, depending on who made it. The top of that gpu will be lucky to see anything remotely close to that at point of contact. The backplate surface temp is Not the same as the gpu temp which is on the other side of the pcb and covered with a giant heatsink.

Consider that there's also wires inside the gpu, ribbons and fan wires etc and guaranteed they'll melt before anything external does.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The jacket on the wire is either rated at 75°C or 90°C, depending on who made it. The top of that gpu will be lucky to see anything remotely close to that at point of contact. The backplate surface temp is Not the same as the gpu temp which is on the other side of the pcb and covered with a giant heatsink.

Consider that there's also wires inside the gpu, ribbons and fan wires etc and guaranteed they'll melt before anything external does.

Solution

Syabatron

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

Thank you! So I shouldn't worry about it?

Out of curiosity if you happen to know this, my GPU runs between 80-85C under full load, what do you think the temperature by the fan cable would be?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Closer to 50-55°C at a guess. Gpu temp is only the temp of the actual graphics processor. It's not the temp of the VRM's, it's not ghd temp of the vram, it's not the temp of the surface of the heatsink. Certainly not the temp of the back of the board that's open to moving air across a metal plate.

Two of my tubes actually sit on top of my gpu, I'm not worried about it ever melting through that rubber and causing a blowout.

Syabatron

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Closer to 50-55°C at a guess. Gpu temp is only the temp of the actual graphics processor. It's not the temp of the VRM's, it's not ghd temp of the vram, it's not the temp of the surface of the heatsink. Certainly not the temp of the back of the board that's open to moving air across a metal plate.

Two of my tubes actually sit on top of my gpu, I'm not worried about it ever melting through that rubber and causing a blowout.
Thank you! This definitely puts my mind at ease, especially with you having a similar thing with your tubes.

I really appreciate you telling me about the outer GPU temp. I kept seeing posts about how the melting point of the cable is most likely around 80C and that the only concern was the cable melting. I was like "holy <Mod Edit> my GPU runs at 80-85C under load, is this going to melt the cable?" but none of them mention how hot the outer GPU actually is. I figured it wasn't as hot as the core temps, but I didn't know what the actual temp was.

Last edited by a moderator: