Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Pc specs
Case- colermaster master box Mb311L
Motherboard - msi b550m pro-vdh wifi
Cpu - ryzen 5 3600 stock wraith cooler
GPU - Asus ko 3060ti 8gb 0c edition
Psu- seasonic focus 850 gold

MY case has the stock fans it came with ( 2 Inlet), I did buy a box of 3 coolermaster mf120r a-rgb fans and added a rear (exhaust) these fans can't be daisy chained I don't think, also the connection to my motherboards headers are extremely loose, when I blow out my pc with the duster I always have to reattach the wire, I don't know if that's a design flaw in the fan or if they are not the correct connections for my motherboard, I have 2 new extra fans but don't have them installed as I don't have any more fan headers and I have no idea if they make something to turn say 2 connections into 1 so 2 fans per header or even if I can do that without burning up something idk, I have seen fans that can be daisy chained together but again I don't know if those go to the motherboard or a psu connection or how they hook up, I know I want to add more fans my room gets pretty warm even with ac and 3 fans isn't enough so what can I do/how do I add more fans up top without more areas to connect them?

if I have to switch fan brands/models for daisy chaining I will I just need to make sure they are compatible with my rig/mobo/psu

When I do add more fans should I go 3 up top so I'll have 5 inlet and one exhaust or should I flip the rear around top make a third inlet and exhaust it the top 3? Like what config would I go for

As far as cpu cooler goes I'm not looking to spend a huge amount as I'm upgrading to a 5900x, a new motherboard and case after I get my surgery if funds permit and this pc will be used to stream (capture from main pc) like a dual pc setup I did see the noctua downdraft (low profile) cooler which I was told as my mobo is pretty cheap and doesn't have vrm heatsinks it would cool the vrms as well but I dont know if that cooler will clear my ram I have 4 8gb sticks of trident neo so I'm looking for recommendations on a decent but not break the bank cooler, that money will be going for the nh14 in the new build when I can get it.

So I'm just trying to figure out how to add more fans to the top of my case as it has a spot for them with a mesh screen magnetic cover, that has to be compatible with my motherboard /psu, what config I should run (5 inlet 1 exhaust or 3 and 3)

looking for a cpu cooler that will keep my cpu cool (not watercooled) that's not going to break the bank ill get MX blue thermal paste for the computer store to use they use cheap paste which I don't want.

Solution
Pc specs

MY case has the stock fans it came with ( 2 Inlet), I did buy a box of 3 coolermaster mf120r a-rgb fans and added a rear (exhaust) these fans can't be daisy chained I don't think, also the connection to my motherboards headers are extremely loose, when I blow out my pc with the duster I always have to reattach the wire, I don't know if that's a design flaw in the fan or if they are not the correct connections for my motherboard, I have 2 new extra fans but don't have them installed as I don't have any more fan headers and I have no idea if they make...

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Punctuation can help us understand.
I have a spot up top on my case for 3 more fans, I want to add 3 more fans for better cooling but I don't have anymore fan headers to hook them too.

I also don't know if I can daisy chain 3 fans and run it off one fan header so I'm inquiring about that as well like if one header can power 3 fans. If I can daisy chain them off one header without power what recommendation of brand fans would you recommend that can be daisy chained I can only put 2 in the front I think.

Cpu I want an air cooler that's not going to be super expensive that will have clearance for my ram

I'm trying to add a pic

What are your current temperatures at idle and under a good load?

What is the maximum you want to spend on an air cooler?

Your case can accept air coolers up to 166 mm in height. That would permit many good choices of varying capabilities and expense.

I've never done it, but my understanding is that you can usually daisy chain fans. They use very little power.

Are you largely indifferent to fan noise?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
What are your current temperatures at idle and under a good load?

What is the maximum you want to spend on an air cooler?

Your case can accept air coolers up to 166 mm in height. That would permit many good choices of varying capabilities and expense.

I've never done it, but my understanding is that you can usually daisy chain fans. They use very little power.

Are you largely indifferent to fan noise?
I'm not indifferent to fan noise as long as it's not like obnoxiously loud 😂😂

As far as air cooler height I was told my mobo is on the cheaper side so the weight of a big cooler isn't a good idea whatever that means I have no idea, I was also concerned with ram clearance.

Temps at idle are good,, cpu 32-35 with the ac on gpu 38-39, light browsing 45-55 on cpu 45-50 on gpu when I turn on a game everything goes up to 65-70, also my cpu is lowered to 99% In processor state as if I turn it to 100% it will go past 80° so I figure a better air cooler, new paste might help, also I'm upgrading bios tomorrow which in another one of my threads I was told a bios update will probably fix the overheating issue of the cpu

Price I'd like to stay under $75

Pc specs

MY case has the stock fans it came with ( 2 Inlet), I did buy a box of 3 coolermaster mf120r a-rgb fans and added a rear (exhaust) these fans can't be daisy chained I don't think, also the connection to my motherboards headers are extremely loose, when I blow out my pc with the duster I always have to reattach the wire, I don't know if that's a design flaw in the fan or if they are not the correct connections for my motherboard, I have 2 new extra fans but don't have them installed as I don't have any more fan headers and I have no idea if they make something to turn say 2 connections into 1 so 2 fans per header or even if I can do that without burning up something idk, I have seen fans that can be daisy chained together but again I don't know if those go to the motherboard or a psu connection or how they hook up, I know I want to add more fans my room gets pretty warm even with ac and 3 fans isn't enough so what can I do/how do I add more fans up top without more areas to connect them?

if I have to switch fan brands/models for daisy chaining I will I just need to make sure they are compatible with my rig/mobo/psu

When I do add more fans should I go 3 up top so I'll have 5 inlet and one exhaust or should I flip the rear around top make a third inlet and exhaust it the top 3? Like what config would I go for

As far as cpu cooler goes I'm not looking to spend a huge amount as I'm upgrading to a 5900x, a new motherboard and case after I get my surgery if funds permit and this pc will be used to stream (capture from main pc) like a dual pc setup I did see the noctua downdraft (low profile) cooler which I was told as my mobo is pretty cheap and doesn't have vrm heatsinks it would cool the vrms as well but I dont know if that cooler will clear my ram I have 4 8gb sticks of trident neo so I'm looking for recommendations on a decent but not break the bank cooler, that money will be going for the nh14 in the new build when I can get it.

So I'm just trying to figure out how to add more fans to the top of my case as it has a spot for them with a mesh screen magnetic cover, that has to be compatible with my motherboard /psu, what config I should run (5 inlet 1 exhaust or 3 and 3)

looking for a cpu cooler that will keep my cpu cool (not watercooled) that's not going to break the bank ill get MX blue thermal paste for the computer store to use they use cheap paste which I don't want.
Instead of daisy chain you can use cable splitters or fan hubs. With non power hubs and fan splitters limit is about 3 120/140,, fans per MB header, powered hubs as many as it has connectors for. PSU doesn't matter.
For 3600(x) you can get by with OEM cooler if you don't plan on OC.. For 5900x you will need a top notch air cooler, cheaper alternative for Noctua 14 would be Arctic Freezer E-sports Duo for instance https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MC8CRVZ?th=1
Both of them and most good coolers come with own and very good paste, either applied or in the package.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Solution
The Scythe Fuma and the Noctua U12S are both in your price range for air coolers. Weight is moderate.

Don't know if your BIOS update will help temps. Be sure to confirm that from various sources as a BIOS update can go bad. Very bad and not to be taken lightly.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Instead of daisy chain you can use cable splitters or fan hubs. With non power hubs and fan splitters limit is about 3 120/140,, fans per MB header, powered hubs as many as it has connectors for. PSU doesn't matter.
For 3600(x) you can get by with OEM cooler if you don't plan on OC.. For 5900x you will need a top notch air cooler, cheaper alternative for Noctua 14 would be Arctic Freezer E-sports Duo for instance https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MC8CRVZ?th=1
Both of them and most good coolers come with own and very good paste, either applied or in the package.
With this stock cooler I have on the 3600x it overheats if I try to let it run at 100% has done it since I got it so I figure it won't hurt, I plan on getting the nh14 for the 5900x.

I'm only adding 3 extra fans up top in my case so would you recommend me to the fan hub, splitter route or daisy Chain? I have no idea what I'm doing, also these connectors as I mentioned are super loose on my motherboard, are they all like that or is it a bad design.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
The Scythe Fuma and the Noctua U12S are both in your price range for air coolers. Weight is moderate.

Don't know if your BIOS update will help temps. Be sure to confirm that from various sources as a BIOS update can go bad. Very bad and not to be taken lightly.
Yeah that's what I mentioned i in my other thread but from what the guy said, is from my user Benchmark test my cpu is underperforning and they mentioned it was probably outdated bios

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

I believe this is the one that was recommended to me as it'll cool my vrms as there aren't many on my mobo it's a cheaper board and they don't have heatsinks

Cpu cooler

This is my userbenchmark test where the user said I should update bios
Benchmark

With this stock cooler I have on the 3600x it overheats if I try to let it run at 100% has done it since I got it so I figure it won't hurt, I plan on getting the nh14 for the 5900x.

I'm only adding 3 extra fans up top in my case so would you recommend me to the fan hub, splitter route or daisy Chain? I have no idea what I'm doing, also these connectors as I mentioned are super loose on my motherboard, are they all like that or is it a bad design.
Good cooler will not hurt anyway but it would be practical to take your future CPU upgrade in mind. CPU coolers are helped by good case cooing so that can also increase it's effectiveness.
Your MB has
1x 4-pin water-pump fan connector
3x 4-pin system fan connectors
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550M-PRO-VDH-WIFI/Specification

so you can easily connect up to 9 case fans by triple splitter or hubs. You could also ad fan(s) to water-pump header which can give twice the power of CHA_Fan headers.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Good cooler will not hurt anyway but it would be practical to take your future CPU upgrade in mind. CPU coolers are helped by good case cooing so that can also increase it's effectiveness.
Your MB has

so you can easily connect up to 9 case fans by triple splitter or hubs. You could also ad fan(s) to water-pump header which can give twice the power of CHA_Fan headers.
Okay I didn't know I could use the pump header for fans so now I do ty for that.

This is going to be really confusing but I'll try to word it better, these fans have a junction they plug into that then the junction goes out to the motherboard it ties all the a rbg plugs together (3 to 1) I'll have to get a splitter for the sys fans, I don't Have another one of those junctions so if they sell those individually I'm set but if not I'll have to buy another fan to get it (maybe you know if they sell them by themselves or what they're called so I can look)

Or I can eliminate the exhaust which I don't want to do and use the one that fans using, either way I need a junction for (coolermaster masterfan mf120r a-rgb) and I have no idea what it's called and I don't want to buy 3 more fans to get one

Sorry I have trouble wording things I know there's a label on the junction blocks to turn 3 fans into 1 (it's a splitter for sys fan and rbg in one) label says gigabyte or asrock/asus/msi 2 different style plugs

If I could upload pics this would be so much easier

Correction I can only put 2 fans up top not 3

Update: found the junction and splitter I'll just run the top ones to the pump fan as it's right next to the jrainbiw header for up top unless you feel I should get 2 splitters and use sys fan headers instead

Last edited:

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Your MB has

These are what I needed hopefully
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_AA6VQFGS18TB6SFWRX7H

Got the 5 way so I can take the other 2 3 to 1's out and just have one cable, just to be cleaner, yikes at $16.00
Cooler master

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H12C8H4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_2K2RWT2NSKE52RVNT7MY

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Don't use 5 to 1 for 120mm fans. too much for one CHA_Fan.
That's just the rgb header that goes to jrainbow header for the leds or is its that still too much for one? the Power cables are the 3 way, if so I'll just use that cable for the top and exhaust and leave the fronts as they are

I have 2 wires per fan one goes to jrainbow header for the leds, 1 goes to sysfan 1/2/3 or pump the 5-1 is jrainbow which is the led Synchronization cable the 3-1 are sys/pump which are the powers

Last edited: