[SOLVED] Case fan not working, despite the rgb being on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Today i put together a new build, every single thing is working besides the back case fan it has rgb working but is not spinning ,not even when the pc heats up ,case Kolink void rgb. MOBO Msi b560m pro vdh wifi Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
https://kolink.eu/Home/ACCESSORIES/cooling/umbra-void-120mm-argb.html

The Features of Kolink Umbra 120mm PWM at a Glance:

• 120mm white 9-bladed ARGB PWM fan with a curved design
  • 12 LEDs on the inside and 12 LEDs outside of the fan for rich colours
  • ARGB 3-pin 5V compatible with Asus Aura Sync for full lighting control
  • Adjustable speed controls via a Daisy Chain PWM connector

https://kolink.eu/____impro/1/onewebmedia/Peripherals/Kolink accessories/Umbra Void/JUsrL-SQ.jpeg?etag="989a-60ee8952"&sourceContentType=image/jpeg&quality=85

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Also the fan does not simply connect to a system fan slot, it connects straight to the front panel, disconnecting the cable only turns off the rgb on the fan.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
So is it the back case fan or the CPU cooler fan?

If it's the CPU cooler fan post a link. If it's the back case fan it should have 2 cables one for the lights and another for the fan.
its the case fan, it has 2 cables one female one male 4 pin connector the male connector is not connected since i cant find where to connect it.But as ive seen in a build video it didnt mention that the other cable was required to be plugged in.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
You plug it into the motherboard fan header, no way it can run with no power!
The thing is that its supposed to be connected to the front panel since it comes pre installed in the case and it has some weird connection scheme, connecting it to the motherboard fan slot shows inacurrate data like 7k rpm but still is not spinning.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be clear, the question was: does this rear fan have two separate CABLES? That is, NOT one cable with two connectors on it.

IF it has two cables, then ONE should be going to the front panel where it plugs into a control system for the LIGHTS only. That is the one you say you can disconnect to cause the lights to quit. The other should have one FEMALE standard fan connector on it that can plug into a mobo standard 4-pin male fan header. This is for the MOTOR only. Now, that second cable might have something quite different on it. If it does NOT have ONE standard 4-pin female fan connector, tell us what it DOES have.

I'm also a little confused. You say "connecting it to the motherboard fan slot shows inacurrate data like 7k rpm but still is not spinning". Connecting WHICH cable? Normally you can NOT connect either a lighting cable or a Molex 4-pin male to a mobo male fan header. So how did you do that?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
https://kolink.eu/Home/ACCESSORIES/cooling/umbra-void-120mm-argb.html

The Features of Kolink Umbra 120mm PWM at a Glance:

• 120mm white 9-bladed ARGB PWM fan with a curved design
  • 12 LEDs on the inside and 12 LEDs outside of the fan for rich colours
  • ARGB 3-pin 5V compatible with Asus Aura Sync for full lighting control
  • Adjustable speed controls via a Daisy Chain PWM connector

https://kolink.eu/____impro/1/onewebmedia/Peripherals/Kolink accessories/Umbra Void/JUsrL-SQ.jpeg?etag="989a-60ee8952"&sourceContentType=image/jpeg&quality=85

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for that detail. These fans have what's called a "daisy chain" system on BOTH the fan motor and lighting cables. That is, each cable has a female (with holes) connector to plug into the power / control signal source, plus on the SAME cable a male version. The intent is that you can plug a second fan into the male output of the first to make a "daisy chain" of several fans connected together to share the input to the first one.

As we said, each fan has two cables. ONE with the smaller connectors is for the fan MOTOR only, and that normally is plugged into a mobo fan header. The other is for the LIGHTS only and goes to a lighting controller or header. Your problem is that the rear fan lights work, but not the motor. Its problem, then, is that its MOTOR cable with the smaller connectors is not plugged into a fan power source. You can plug that into a mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header, or MAYBE (if it reaches) into the male output fan connector from one of the other fans.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for that detail. These fans have what's called a "daisy chain" system on BOTH the fan motor and lighting cables. That is, each cable has a female (with holes) connector to plug into the power / control signal source, plus on the SAME cable a male version. The intent is that you can plug a second fan into the male output of the first to make a "daisy chain" of several fans connected together to share the input to the first one.

As we said, each fan has two cables. ONE with the smaller connectors is for the fan MOTOR only, and that normally is plugged into a mobo fan header. The other is for the LIGHTS only and goes to a lighting controller or header. Your problem is that the rear fan lights work, but not the motor. Its problem, then, is that its MOTOR cable with the smaller connectors is not plugged into a fan power source. You can plug that into a mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header, or MAYBE (if it reaches) into the male output fan connector from one of the other fans.
That fan is quite close but not the one i have, Sorry for not being clear enough, It has a single cable with 2 connectors both the same size 1 male 1 female the female one has "clips" which connect perfectly to the front panel, leaving the 4-pin male connector unplugged, and as i said when i plug the female connector to the motherboard it also doesnt work and shows me incorrect stats.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, I missed an important point. That post with details of the daisy-chain fan system was NOT from OP, and happens to detail the wrong fans.

So your fan has ONLY one cable with matching male and female connectors. That is a daisy-chain arrangement so you could plug in a second fan to the male output. BUT we are dealing here with only one fan, and it is not turning. From your description the connector is NOT any common standard, so I am not surprised that the fan did not work when plugged into a mobo fan header. And unfortunately that also means it would be hard to test the fan motor since we don't know the pin use details. By the way, so far your description talks only about ONE pre-installed case fan. Does that case have NO other ventilation fans?

Apparently there is only ONE cable to supply both fan MOTOR and LIGHT power and control to it. So the motor MUST be designed to receive power from the only source - the module in the case front where that able plugs in. That leads to three possibilities here:
(a) the fan always has power and should run at all times at a fixed speed;
(b) the fan action (and maybe speed) is controlled by some case button you have not used yet; or,
(c) the fan is faulty.

I found no info on this from the case web page. But the photos show the buttons on the top front. At left is the large Power button, and next a smaller round button with a label that says "LED", I think. That one should do something to control the lighting display. Then there are two smaller buttons with symbols. Those MAY be drawings of fan blades, so MAYBE those are the controls for turning the fan on or off, and MAYBE for fan speed. Try them. Tell us what they do. OR, are they just indicator lights?

If those things are NOT fan control buttons, then there may be none. That puts us at option (a) which is not working, so we get to (c) fan failure.In that case, getting a replacement from the makers may not be possible. Your better option may be to buy a standard case fan and replace the failed rear fan. For that you should aim for a 4-pin 120 mm size. It can plug into one of your mobo's two SYS_FAN headers (see your manual, p. 35). If you get one with lights in its frame (will have TWO cables from it) , there are two different possible systems, and your mobo has one lighting header for each of these two. Plain RGB (4-pin connector with 12 VDC power) lights can connect to the JRGB1 header (p. 38); an Addressable RGB (ARGB) system (3-pin connector with 5 VDC power) can connect to the JRAINBOW header (p. 39). If you have (ar buy additional) other case fans, they can be connected similarly, perhaps using fan and lighting Splitters. If you need more details there, post back here.

Sorry for not being clear enough, It has a single cable with 2 connectors both the same size 1 male 1 female the female one has "clips" which connect perfectly to the front panel, leaving the 4-pin male connector unplugged, and as i said when i plug the female connector to the motherboard it also doesnt work and shows me incorrect stats.
Please show photos, how you have connected those fans.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Normally you'd connect it to a system fan header (SYS_FAN) on motherboard.
urnKQj5.png

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
From OP's description is appears the connectors on the end of the SINGLE cable from this fan are NOT standard and cannot be connected to a standard mobo header. The female connector has some type of retainer clip, and it somehow supplies both MOTOR and LIGHTING power to the fan. Further, OP HAS tired to plug it into a mobo fan header, and it did NOT run even though the header indicated a ridiculously high speed.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
From OP's description is appears the connectors on the end of the SINGLE cable from this fan are NOT standard and cannot be connected to a standard mobo header. The female connector has some type of retainer clip, and it somehow supplies both MOTOR and LIGHTING power to the fan. Further, OP HAS tired to plug it into a mobo fan header, and it did NOT run even though the header indicated a ridiculously high speed.
You are right about that one, since it was not a standard cable i asked maybe there is a more intricate system that i do not know of but as you said and as ive seen in the only build video of the case i could find it just says that the front panel connects to 3 connectors 1st is with the led button on the top of the case to change/sync the modes, 2nd is the mentioned connector to give the case fan power and the 3rd is the sata cable which gives rgb to both the front panel and the case fan, and on top of the case there is only the power button and the led button those 2 things which looked like buttons are the mic and headphone ports, I've contacted the makers of the case and have yet to recieve an answer, in the mean time i got a case fan from my old pc case which has a simple molex connector and so far seems to do the job of at least not setting this case on fire (cpu is max 50 degrees celsius/122 fahrenheit and the gpu is 70/158 at big loads.

You are right about that one, since it was not a standard cable i asked maybe there is a more intricate system that i do not know of but as you said and as ive seen in the only build video of the case i could find it just says that the front panel connects to 3 connectors 1st is with the led button on the top of the case to change/sync the modes, 2nd is the mentioned connector to give the case fan power and the 3rd is the sata cable which gives rgb to both the front panel and the case fan, and on top of the case there is only the power button and the led button those 2 things which looked like buttons are the mic and headphone ports, I've contacted the makers of the case and have yet to recieve an answer, in the mean time i got a case fan from my old pc case which has a simple molex connector and so far seems to do the job of at least not setting this case on fire (cpu is max 50 degrees celsius/122 fahrenheit and the gpu is 70/158 at big loads.
Please show photos - your setup, all the fans, how they are connected.
What is this "front panel", you're talking about?

Personally I find it extremely to hard to follow those descriptions of yours.
Single sentence is more than 100 words. This is not readable/perceivable.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Front Panel" we are talking about is really the top front edge of the front panel, with a series of buttons etc. on it. OP, in the photos that I saw to the right of the LED button are two small items one above the other, with a symbol like a flower or fan blades below them. Then to the right of those are the two earphone and mic sockets. Are you saying that YOUR case does not have that small pair of buttons (or lights) between the LED button and the earphone jack?

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
"Front Panel" we are talking about is really the top front edge of the front panel, with a series of buttons etc. on it. OP, in the photos that I saw to the right of the LED button are two small items one above the other, with a symbol like a flower or fan blades below them. Then to the right of those are the two earphone and mic sockets. Are you saying that YOUR case does not have that small pair of buttons (or lights) between the LED button and the earphone jack?
That would be the hdd working lights one shines blue to indicate that the hdd has power and the other shines red to indicate that its reading/writing something.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ah, OK. I wondered what those little bits were. I suspected they might be indicator lights, not control buttons. So it appears the system built into your case has no way to control the power sent out to the fan. And yet, that front panel board is the only place the cable from the fan can connect, so it must be the power source for the fan, just with no control. ONE idea to check. Try disconnecting from that control board the plug from the PSU that provides power to it. There MAY be a bad conection in the 12 VDC lines, even though the 5 VDC supply is working to power the lights. Disconnect that, then plug back in several times. Be careful in this not to disconnect other stuff by mistake. That MAY clean off some contacts and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.