[SOLVED] Case fans not spinning, RGB works fine(prebuilt CyberPower)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2021
I have this Cyberpower PC : CyberPowerPC - Gamer Master Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 - 2TB HDD + 240GB SSD

and have just gotten everything connected for my setup. All seems to be fine except the case fans have not come on once since powering up, they are showing up in the bios but I'm not sure how to determine whether or not it is trying to kick them on.

The RGBs work just fine, and as far as I can tell all cords are connected correctly(again, prebuilt- I know nothing about building myself yet)

Are case fans supposed to run constantly? Is this something I need to address in the system or with the wiring?

TIA for the advice, sorry for being a super noob. I've been Googling and watching YouTube videos but am still super confused on it all at the moment.

Solution
A few things could be involved. Fan motor cables NOT connected to anything would do it. In some systems, the fans are connected to a fan Hub which, in turn, is powered by a cable to that Hub from the mobo or from the PSU. So NO power connection to that Hub board (if you have this) also can cause this. Another possibility: the fan control system is set to run the fans at too low a speed on a cold system and hence they stall and do not re-start. Or even, some systems allow the fan controls to deliberately stop the case fans for a cold system, until the system warms up.

IF the case fans are powered and controlled by the mobo's automatic control system, this little check test can give you some info. That kind of control always does this at...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A few things could be involved. Fan motor cables NOT connected to anything would do it. In some systems, the fans are connected to a fan Hub which, in turn, is powered by a cable to that Hub from the mobo or from the PSU. So NO power connection to that Hub board (if you have this) also can cause this. Another possibility: the fan control system is set to run the fans at too low a speed on a cold system and hence they stall and do not re-start. Or even, some systems allow the fan controls to deliberately stop the case fans for a cold system, until the system warms up.

IF the case fans are powered and controlled by the mobo's automatic control system, this little check test can give you some info. That kind of control always does this at start-up: start all case fans at full speed immediately, then slow them down after a few seconds to what is required according to temperature. So, open your case if you need to so you can see those fans. Start up your system and watch the fans - both the two lighted fans at the front, and the unlighted one at the rear. Do they start up, then stop? If they do, then the fans are OK, AND they are plugged in AND are being controlled. Then you would know that the fan control system is why they are stopping. If that is the situation, then the next question becomes: once the system gets warmed up from use, do the fans start up as they should?

Reactions: tennis2
Solution
Mar 5, 2021
Okay after looking at it, they are connected to a sort of wiring harness(?) through the back side of the case, which has various empty connectors zip tied and tucked away, and other bits that are connected directly to the PSU. mobo, and graphics card. There is A LOT of 'extra/empty' wiring back here so I've been too intimidated to pull it all out and trace connections, but it seems as though that is my next step.

I have also contacted CyberPowerPC Customer Service however as it is now a weekend I may not have much luck with that until next week. Thank you all for your help, it is greatly appreciated :)

I have been advised that I can still use for brief periods of time in order to continue troubleshooting and begin setting up my system bits at a time as long as I shut it back down before temps get above low to moderate levels as the CPU fan is working fine, so I will be back on intermittently as I am able to and will post any updates I have along the way if need be.

Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.