Question Case may be shorting the motherboard

Aug 19, 2024
just upgraded to a ryzen 4600g and paired the old one- a 2200g to a biostar b550mh that i bought a couple years ago on sale for around 35 usd, new but never used until now. found an old case- a usp100 coolermaster and set it up there but it wouldn't power up. so i took out the screws and had the motherboard sit on top of the standoffs and it booted just fine, installed windows 11 and put it all back in the case but now it wouldn't detect the ssd- a samsung 750 evo. tried swapping to different sata ports and power connectors but didn't showed up again. put it on another pc and booted up just fine. got another ssd- a samsung mlc drive from an old laptop, installed zorin os and now it's working.

so what happened was, years ago, my motherboard died and i cant take it out as the screw in the rear middle part of the motherboard, the one near the rear audio ports, got stuck with the standoff. i tried holding it with pliers while unscrewing but to no avail, so i got pissed and started hitting the back of the standoff with a hammer to forcefully remove it :mad:
well, it didn't actually helped, and maybe made it worse. tried again the next day with the pliers and eventually it came off. gave me a headache back then trying to figure out what was wrong as the pc also wont power up. ended up buying a new pc case as well. is there a way to fix this, maybe by hammering it back in? i dont think the back of the motherboard is touching the case, but screwing it back in or just the standoff touching the motherboard causes it to not boot up. removed the standoff (the hammered one), and it powered up but now it's giving me random issues like that, like some parts not working.

edit: just want to clarify that hammering caused just a small barely noticeable dent

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

so what happened was, years ago, my motherboard died and i cant take it out as the screw in the rear middle part of the motherboard, the one near the rear audio ports, got stuck with the standoff. i tried holding it with pliers while unscrewing but to no avail, so i got pissed and started hitting the back of the standoff with a hammer to forcefully remove it :mad:
You might want to pass on an image to show the extent of the damage you'd created. Host your image on a site like Imgur and then pass on the link on this thread.

I would've use da Dremel or rotary tool to remove the standoff but with all due respect that case should be retired and you should look at something more concurrent.

On second thoughts, please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Reactions: stonecarver
Aug 19, 2024
You might want to pass on an image to show the extent of the damage you'd created. Host your image on a site like Imgur and then pass on the link on this thread.

... but with all due respect that case should be retired and you should look at something more concurrent.
i did retire it but it's the only case i can find right now. this is actually just a project as im still using windows 7 on my main rig. windows 11 on my work pc just dont feel "personal" enough, it's like i'm using someone else's pc everytime i'm using it, plus some old games and emulators are giving me issues. this pc is for trying out zorin os and some other linux os so that hopefully i can move on from windows 7.

CPU: ryzen 2200g
CPU cooler: wraith stealth cooler
Motherboard: biostar b550mh // stock bios
Ram: adata xpg hunter 2x8gb ddr4
SSD/HDD: some random samsung 250gb mlc ssd from an old laptop
GPU: none
PSU: silverstone strider 500w // used for less than 2 years
Chassis: usp 100 coolermaster
Monitor: benq 24 inch ips

i would like to add a 2 tb hdd and an old xonar essence stx sound card i have lying around but i'm thinking if this could possibly damage the motherboard or some other parts if i keep using this case? that's why i just threw in some old basic stuff enough just to make it work... and is there a possible fix for this? im an old school and the case still looks really nice :cool:

i'll try taking a picture of it later but really it's just a small barely noticeable dent.

i did retire it but it's the only case i can find right now. this is actually just a project as im still using windows 7 on my main rig. windows 11 on my work pc just dont feel "personal" enough, it's like i'm using someone else's pc everytime i'm using it, plus some old games and emulators are giving me issues. this pc is for trying out zorin os and some other linux os so that hopefully i can move on from windows 7.

CPU: ryzen 2200g
CPU cooler: wraith stealth cooler
Motherboard: biostar b550mh // stock bios
Ram: adata xpg hunter 2x8gb ddr4
SSD/HDD: some random samsung 250gb mlc ssd from an old laptop
GPU: none
PSU: silverstone strider 500w // used for less than 2 years
Chassis: usp 100 coolermaster
Monitor: benq 24 inch ips

i would like to add a 2 tb hdd and an old xonar essence stx sound card i have lying around but i'm thinking if this could possibly damage the motherboard or some other parts if i keep using this case? that's why i just threw in some old basic stuff enough just to make it work... and is there a possible fix for this? im an old school and the case still looks really nice :cool:

i'll try taking a picture of it later but really it's just a small barely noticeable dent.

2200g is not supported on the 5000 series platform only b450 or lower.

also to avoid stand offs shorting the board its normally the screw that causes this you can usually fix this with fiber washers.

m3 fibre washers. been using these for years for motherboard threads with dodgy grounding

Aug 19, 2024
2200g is not supported on the 5000 series platform only b450 or lower.

also to avoid stand offs shorting the board its normally the screw that causes this you can usually fix this with fiber washers.

m3 fibre washers. been using these for years for motherboard threads with dodgy grounding
some b550 boards worked though..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi8oSIaejEE

thanks, will try out those fibre washers.

yeah i'd remove the screws and have the board sit on the standoffs and it'll work but once i put in 1 or 2 screws back, especially at the part where i hammered it out, the board won't power back on. do you think further usage of the case will cause some damage to some of the pc parts?

some b550 boards worked though..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi8oSIaejEE

thanks, will try out those fibre washers.

yeah i'd remove the screws and have the board sit on the standoffs and it'll work but once i put in 1 or 2 screws back, especially at the part where i hammered it out, the board won't power back on. do you think further usage of the case will cause some damage to some of the pc parts?

some motherboards but they dont have the correct micro code so you may suffer some instability or blue screens.

i doubt usage of the case will cause a issue but i would replace any damaged threaded stand offs.

i use a kit similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-C...8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

make sure the board isnt touching the metal also use plyers to make sure all stand offs are seated on cheap cases some of them arent properly installed by the factory you can usually tell if you see a thread slightly raised.

had a issue with a zalman case that had one stand off that was not put in properly.