[Case Study] Illegal Tournament decks

TOURNAMENT CASE STUDY

You are the head judge in a local tournament (2 rounds + Final) where
one player played an illegal deck by bringing a crypt with group 1, 2,
and 3 vampires. In the first round of the tournament, only group 2 and
3 vampires were influenced out, so nothing was noticed.

In the second round, the player influenced out several group 2 and 3
vampires, and then influenced out a group 1 vampire. You're not sure
if the table noticed immediately, or after the group 1 vampire had
taken some actions.

You did not require that the players provide a decklist.

For reference, the VEKN Judge's Guide, section 103,
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/veknJudgesGuide.html suggests a penalty
of a Game Loss for an illegal deck, and states that, "If the penaly
occurs in the middle of a game, the judge should award pool and/or
Victory Points to the player's Predator, or making other arrangements
to preserve game balance for the remaining players, as warranted
(possibly awarding partial VPs)."

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1) Do you agree with the recommended penality from the Judge's Guide?
If yes, describe what approach you would use to "preserve game balance
for the remaining players." If no, what penality would you enforce?

2) Does the player's experience level matter in determining the
penality? Elaborate.

3) Does the number of actions the group 1 vampire took make a
difference? If so, how does that change the penality you would
enforce?

4) If this situation arose in the first round, or if the player made
the finals, how would you adjust (or have the player adjust) the
illegal deck to continue playing?

MY THOUGHTS

I didn't request decklists. I don't like to require them, because it
creates a hurdle for tournament entry. Nonetheless, I should at least
make them optional.

Before the tournament, I said, "Everyone has legal decks, right?" and
everyone kinda nodded approval. I didn't state clearly what defines a
"legal deck" and I should have.

At the time of the ruling, I didn't ask how much the group 1 vampire
did before the table noticed the problem. I vaguely recall that it was
untapped with full blood when I was called over, but still I should
have asked. At the time, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the
problem was noticed immediately. I wonder about that now, as I'm
writing this up.

I ruled that the vampire was immediately removed from play. The player
was good natured about it, and apologetic. The table seemed to think
it was a fair penality. He is a very experienced player and should
have known better, so I felt confident in punishing him severely (at
least it seemed severe to me.) I considered disqualifying him, but
even in that case, I wouldn't have removed him from the game. In my
opinion, removing someone from the game in the middle is one of the
most disruptive things that can happen (short of spilling a bunch of
liquid on the table.)

I think that the Judge's Guide suggested penality is both too harsh and
too disruptive. I understand that we wouldn't want the penality too
lax lest players begin to intentionally abuse it. Nonetheless,
actually removing someone mid-game lacks elegance. In this case, I was
confident that it was an unintentional mistake, and not cheating.

Fortunately from a judging perspective, the player didn't make the
final, so it wasn't an issue what would happen with his deck. Had the
problem arose in the first round, I'm not sure what I would have done
for the second round. I believe I would have found a similar capacity
vampire that was legal for that crypt, perhaps duplicating an existing
vampire in the crypt.

If the player made the final, I would have been tempted to prevent him
from playing in the final, though it's hard to say. Whatever ruling I
made, I would have attempted to nullify any benefit the player received
from bringing an illegal crypt.

Also, it was fortunate that 11 cards were group 2-3, and only one was
group 1. If there had been more group 1s, the problem would have been
more difficult to correct, and the infraction more severe (in my
opinion.) I'm not sure how it would have changed my ruling; I probably
still would have replaced all the group 1s with similar cap vampires.

I welcome the insight of everyone else who has tournament judging
experience. I'm sure a similar situation has come up at many different
tournaments.

Ira

Ira wrote:
> 1) Do you agree with the recommended penality from the Judge's Guide?
> If yes, describe what approach you would use to "preserve game
balance
> for the remaining players." If no, what penality would you enforce?

I agree with the recommended penalty at the Continental Championship
level, and perhaps even at the Continental Qualifier level. At these
events, the players are expected to know the full tournament rules
and abide by them. Er...well...players are expected to know the full
tournament rules at _all_ tournaments, but they REALLY should be
expected to know them at the Championship/Qualifier level. :)

At local tournaments, I think leniency is in order, particularly
since
we often get new players or players who used to play but came back to
the game and might not be cognizant of the grouping rule, and I think
the
approach you took is just fine.

As for "preserving game balance", that really depends on the state of
the table, so it's hard to give a blanket description on how to
handle
it. You can really only do it on a case-by-case basis, and again, I
think you handled the situation just fine.

> 2) Does the player's experience level matter in determining the
> penality? Elaborate.

Well, newer/re-newed players might not know any better, and probably
should get some leniency. More experienced players should know
better
and should not get leniency. Still, in a local tournament, I'd
probably
give some leniency to the experienced player 'cause it was probably
an honest mistake (i.e. made adjustments to crypt prior to getting to
the
tournament and forgot about one guy).

> 3) Does the number of actions the group 1 vampire took make a
> difference? If so, how does that change the penality you would
> enforce?

I'd rate "experience level of player" much higher than "number
of actions taken".

> 4) If this situation arose in the first round, or if the player made
> the finals, how would you adjust (or have the player adjust) the
> illegal deck to continue playing?

At the Championship/Qualifier level, game loss. At a local
tournament, allow the player to acquire a legal vampire and
put it into his/her crypt, possibly burning the illegal vampire
in play depending on game state/personal judgement.

> I didn't request decklists. I don't like to require them, because it
> creates a hurdle for tournament entry. Nonetheless, I should at
least
> make them optional.

They're typically only really needed at the Championship level.

> I ruled that the vampire was immediately removed from play. The
player
> was good natured about it, and apologetic. The table seemed to think
> it was a fair penality. He is a very experienced player and should
> have known better, so I felt confident in punishing him severely (at
> least it seemed severe to me.) I considered disqualifying him, but
> even in that case, I wouldn't have removed him from the game. In my
> opinion, removing someone from the game in the middle is one of the
> most disruptive things that can happen (short of spilling a bunch of
> liquid on the table.)

Again, I think you handled things just fine.

> I think that the Judge's Guide suggested penality is both too harsh
and
> too disruptive. I understand that we wouldn't want the penality too
> lax lest players begin to intentionally abuse it. Nonetheless,
> actually removing someone mid-game lacks elegance. In this case, I
was
> confident that it was an unintentional mistake, and not cheating.

I think the Judge's Guide's suggested penalty is just fine, since
it should assume the worst (that they're cheating). Perhaps a
range of options could be listed, depending on context.

- Ben Peal
fudjo@mindstorm.com

ira212@gmail.com wrote:
> TOURNAMENT CASE STUDY
>
> You are the head judge in a local tournament (2 rounds + Final)

In local tournaments i am usually less harsh as in a big tournament.
The interest to have nice games and a friednly athmosphere rates very
high in my opinion.

> For reference, the VEKN Judge's Guide, section 103,
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/veknJudgesGuide.html suggests a
penalty
> of a Game Loss for an illegal deck, and states that, "If the penaly
> occurs in the middle of a game, the judge should award pool and/or
> Victory Points to the player's Predator, or making other arrangements
> to preserve game balance for the remaining players, as warranted
> (possibly awarding partial VPs)."

It is a guide. I am absolutely happy with it. But it describes the
strongest penenalty you can rule.

> 1) Do you agree with the recommended penality from the Judge's Guide?
> If yes, describe what approach you would use to "preserve game
balance
> for the remaining players." If no, what penality would you enforce?

If i think, i really need to give a player a game loss, i usually would
let his pool stay in the game. So his predator first has to work
himself trough this before attacking the new prey. But all depends on
the actual situation.

> 2) Does the player's experience level matter in determining the
> penality? Elaborate.

Not the experience. But IMO the intent. If there are any clues, that
the player really tried to cheat, i would react very strict.

> 3) Does the number of actions the group 1 vampire took make a
> difference? If so, how does that change the penality you would
> enforce?

Yes. If it would be immediately noticed, than no illegal play has
happened. Burn the vampire and go on. Change the deck afterwards.

> 4) If this situation arose in the first round, or if the player made
> the finals, how would you adjust (or have the player adjust) the
> illegal deck to continue playing?

Changing the wrong vampire with a vampire that gives no unproportional
benefit to the player. Doubling a random vampire of teh crypt would be
a solution.

> I didn't request decklists. I don't like to require them, because it
> creates a hurdle for tournament entry. Nonetheless, I should at
least
> make them optional.

No decklists in small tournaments. Optional decklists would not help
anything.

> Before the tournament, I said, "Everyone has legal decks, right?" and
> everyone kinda nodded approval. I didn't state clearly what defines
> "legal deck" and I should have.

Everyone has to know, what legal decks are. If you have Newbies maybe
it is necessary to check that their decks are legal. But experienced
players know what they can play.

> I ruled that the vampire was immediately removed from play. The
player
> was good natured about it, and apologetic. The table seemed to think
> it was a fair penality.

I agree. If a table feels good with a judge decision it usually is a
good decision.

> I considered disqualifying him,

Way over the top.

but
> even in that case, I wouldn't have removed him from the game.

You cannot disqualify a player but allow him to play on. It is very
disruptive to let a player play but canecel his options to win.

In my
> opinion, removing someone from the game in the middle is one of the
> most disruptive things that can happen (short of spilling a bunch of
> liquid on the table.)

Yes, but sometimes needed.

> I think that the Judge's Guide suggested penality is both too harsh
and
> too disruptive. I understand that we wouldn't want the penality too
> lax lest players begin to intentionally abuse it. Nonetheless,
> actually removing someone mid-game lacks elegance.

It is a guide line. And sometimes harsh reactions are necessary.

In this case, I was
> confident that it was an unintentional mistake, and not cheating.

Thats the point.

> Fortunately from a judging perspective, the player didn't make the
> final, so it wasn't an issue what would happen with his deck. Had
the
> problem arose in the first round, I'm not sure what I would have done
> for the second round. I believe I would have found a similar
capacity
> vampire that was legal for that crypt, perhaps duplicating an
existing
> vampire in the crypt.

Agreed.

> If the player made the final, I would have been tempted to prevent
him
> from playing in the final, though it's hard to say.

After you have changed the deck, you cannot prevent the player from
getting to the finals. Your decision has to be made without knowledge,
if he would get to the finals. Your decision has to stand, regardless
what will happen next.

Hey Ben,

> I think the approach you took is just fine.

Fair enough. What I'm more interested in from you (and everyone else)
is not approval or disapproval of my actions, but to take a moment to
discuss what you would have done instead.

It's a useful exercise for you personally as a judge, and it's useful
to all of us to learn from your choices and decisions. If we consider
the situation in advance, we will be more prepared when it actually
occurs.

Also, the discussion will illuminate the wide range of judge's opinions
on the same situation (which I personally think we should strive to
minimize.) If everyone generally agrees on something, that's good to
know, too.

For instance, one thing that I've noticed is that pretty much everyone
agrees it's very tricky to remove someone from the game and "preserve
game balance." How could we teach a new judge how to do such a thing?
I've judged 20+ tournaments and I still would have difficulty removing
someone from the game and preserving balance. Making someone a poolbag
helps their predator and prey, and hurts both people crosstable. That
doesn't preserve balance at all.

> I think the Judge's Guide's suggested penalty is just fine, since
> it should assume the worst (that they're cheating).

I think the Judge's Guide would be most useful if it assumed the most
common case (not the worst case.) I personally would prefer to be
guided on the most common cases (local tournaments), not the rare cases
(continental championships.) I also believe that most crypt grouping
errors will occur by mistake, not on purpose, but I have only a sample
size of 2 so far. :)

> Perhaps a range of options could be listed, depending on context.

That seems like a great addition! Who maintains that document?

Ira

> You cannot disqualify a player but allow him to play on. It is very
> disruptive to let a player play but canecel his options to win.

In this case, I think such a solution would have worked fine. I simply
would have asked the player to keep playing the game and attempt to win
in the same way he would do in a non-tournament game.

Then again, I didn't feel the infraction warranted disqualification or
game loss.

> > removing someone from the game in the middle is one of the
> > most disruptive things that can happen (short of spilling a bunch
of
> > liquid on the table.)
>
> Yes, but sometimes needed.

I think this would be a great thing to explore with a case study. Can
you give any case study of a situation where removing someone was
needed, and what sort of things you did to preserve table balance?

> After you have changed the deck, you cannot prevent the
> player from getting to the finals. Your decision has to
> be made without knowledge, if he would get to the finals.
> Your decision has to stand, regardless what will happen next.

This is a good discussion point! I think I disagree. Why can't I
prevent the player from entering the finals, if he played with an
illegal deck?

Ira

1) I agree with the penalty - when at the highest tournament level(s).
I'd prefer a more lenient solution (like yours) in lower-level
tournaments - expecially for a newbie. The vampire goes 'poof'
immediately. If he's taken no further actions, that's it - the player
just hosed himself for x pool and x transfers - that's enough penalty
(that's assuming there's indeed 1 deviantly grouped vampire in the
crypt). No further rebalancing needed (although I'm sure prey and
predator are secretly rejoycing, and cross-table isn't liking it, you
can't legislate against stupidity).

If the vampire had taken a number of actions it still goes poof. I'd
prefer to do as little as possible to remaining pool, etc. (under the
assumption that had the deck been legal, a similar vampire that
should've been in the crypt would've probably done roughly the same
things). I might penalise the player by some pool loss if that
particular vampire had been having a particularly great effect on the
game state.

Assuming no bad intent, of course, but that's not in your example.

Had the crypt been equally split in groups 1, 2, or 3, the player's
going to get more of a penalty.

In the final, the penalty would've been more harsh.

2) Not really, a beginner might get a bit more leniency, but tough love
means better learning.

3) Mentioned previously

4) If it was first round, the vampire still burns as previously
mentioned. I go through the crypt to check what work will be needed to
make the deck legal. (I would go through the crypt anyway). I check the
deck to see if there's other illegal stuff in there. Then I force a
drop of illegal cards from the deck and replace the illegal vampire
from the appropriate group with as close an approximation (imo) as
possible.

ira212@gmail.com <ira212@gmail.com> wrote:
> TOURNAMENT CASE STUDY

> You are the head judge in a local tournament (2 rounds + Final) where
> one player played an illegal deck by bringing a crypt with group 1, 2,
> and 3 vampires. In the first round of the tournament, only group 2 and
> 3 vampires were influenced out, so nothing was noticed.

> In the second round, the player influenced out several group 2 and 3
> vampires, and then influenced out a group 1 vampire. You're not sure
> if the table noticed immediately, or after the group 1 vampire had
> taken some actions.

This thread has given me a slightly-tangential idea for a suggestion of
a change to the Grouping Rule.

Instead of being an at-deckbuilding-time rule, what if the Grouping Rule
were a game-time rule?

That is:
You could build your crypt however you want, with whatever vampires you
want, from any group.
But it would be illegal to bring a vampire into the ready region from
your uncontrolled region if his Group would violate the Grouping
restrictions. If it happened "by accident", then the incoming vampire
would burn, just as if it would self-contest.

You could still take control of vampires from other Methuselahs that
violate the grouping rule.
If you were playing Group 3-4, and took control of another Methuselah's
Group 1 or 2 vampire in such a way that you controlled them during your
influence phase (i.e. Graverobbing), then you wouldn't be able to bring
out any more of your own vampires legally until you got rid of him (and
if he got Banished, you could burn him by "re-influencing" him).
But other than that, I think the rule could be handled quite smoothly.

Thoughts?

Josh "Jozxyqk" Feuerstein
Prince of Boston

In message <1116398943.188867.221580@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
x5mofr@gmx.de writes:
>ira212@gmail.com wrote:
>> For reference, the VEKN Judge's Guide, section 103,
>> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/veknJudgesGuide.html suggests a
>penalty
>> of a Game Loss for an illegal deck, and states that, "If the penaly
>> occurs in the middle of a game, the judge should award pool and/or
>> Victory Points to the player's Predator, or making other arrangements
>> to preserve game balance for the remaining players, as warranted
>> (possibly awarding partial VPs)."
>
>It is a guide. I am absolutely happy with it. But it describes the
>strongest penenalty you can rule.

No, it doesn't.

All penalties in this document (with the exception of section
160) assume that the infraction is unintentional. If a judge
believes that an infraction was intentional, the penalty should
be upgraded as appropriate (see section 160). Please remember
that these are only guidelines. If the judge believes that the
situation has significant, extenuating circumstances, he or she
is free to modify the penalty as appropriate.

The document lays down guidelines, not absolute maximums or minimums.

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Jozxyqk wrote:
>
> > Chain of Command/Undue Influence-qui would cause the incoming
vampires to burn
> > if they violated the rule.
> > Illusions of the Kindred, no. It would only be checked when
vampires move from
> > the uncontrolled region to the ready region, not any other way.
>
> Hello turbo-Possession decks!
>
> Matt Morgan

Specifically, Might of the Camarilla followed by Possession would allow
you to play vampires together that were never meant to be played
together.

Also, Turbo Baron brings the majority of its vampires into play via The
Baron burning and triggering Soul Gem. This would also get around the
SGR.

As far as taking control of other players' vampires with cards such as
Graverobbing; I don't think this should limit who you can later
influence into play group-wise. No one likes having their vampires
stolen, but is it fair to the, for example, Gangrel deck that pokes you
with Claws and then Graverobs to not be able to influence out any more
of its crypt if it Graverobbed a vampire outside of its group range or
can't use Gather after that Graverob? Also, if grouping is an in play
rule, I don't think exceptions for stolen vampires will leave us with
an elegant grouping rule.

Unfortunately, this does not look like it will solve more problems than
it will cause.

Later,
~Rehlow

On 17 May 2005 19:40:26 -0700, "ira212@gmail.com" <ira212@gmail.com>
wrote:

>TOURNAMENT CASE STUDY
>You are the head judge in a local tournament (2 rounds + Final) where
>one player played an illegal deck by bringing a crypt with group 1, 2,
>and 3 vampires. In the first round of the tournament, only group 2 and
>3 vampires were influenced out, so nothing was noticed.
>In the second round, the player influenced out several group 2 and 3
>vampires, and then influenced out a group 1 vampire. You're not sure
>if the table noticed immediately, or after the group 1 vampire had
>taken some actions.
>You did not require that the players provide a decklist.

That's the problem in the "setup", I think.

>For reference, the VEKN Judge's Guide, section 103,
>http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/veknJudgesGuide.html suggests a penalty
>of a Game Loss for an illegal deck, and states that, "If the penaly
>occurs in the middle of a game, the judge should award pool and/or
>Victory Points to the player's Predator, or making other arrangements
>to preserve game balance for the remaining players, as warranted
>(possibly awarding partial VPs)."
>
>DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
>1) Do you agree with the recommended penality from the Judge's Guide?
>If yes, describe what approach you would use to "preserve game balance
>for the remaining players." If no, what penality would you enforce?

It largely depends on the situation at the table.
If neting the said predator 6 pool and a VP would do things much
easier for him to gain the GW, one alternative is to make the
offending player to remove the illegal group 1 vampire with no
"refunding" of the pool invested in it. Essentially he had "bled
himself" to that amount and would have to cope with that. It could
ease things to his predator, but his predator will have to oust him
the normal way to proceed for the GW.

>2) Does the player's experience level matter in determining the
>penality? Elaborate.

It shouldn't in theory, but in practice it's difficult to ignore if
the offending player is a newbie which was not taught the grouping
rules properly (and that's why I don't feel comfortable with
houseruling free use of any group).

But I'm also a supporter of the idea that you can't postpone penalties
out of pity for lack of experience. The best way to get experienced to
certain situations is to cope with the consequences. So even if I'm
sure the player did that unintentionally, I'd apply at least a small
penalty, like the aforementioned burning of the vampire.

>3) Does the number of actions the group 1 vampire took make a
>difference? If so, how does that change the penality you would
>enforce?

I guess the number of actions he took is not as important as what
*type* of actions he took and what vampire it is. If he called a PTO
and the offending player does not control other minion capable of
calling it, I'd "revive" the PTO'ed vampire with whatever cards and
counters it had. If he just bled for 1, maybe net part of the pool
back to his prey is enough.

In short, the solution goes through rewinding the play as much as
possible, as suggested by the VEKN rules. Rewinding takes a careful
assertion of the situation at the table, and it's hard to say how much
you can "generally" rewind without a specific example. It also is the
point where how many actions the vampire took could hamper things -
the more you have to rewind, the more difficult it is to accomplish
properly.

>4) If this situation arose in the first round, or if the player made
>the finals, how would you adjust (or have the player adjust) the
>illegal deck to continue playing?

Take out the group 1 vampires (in your example) and the player is free
to swap them for appropriate ones, borrowed or not. If there's none
available of his liking, he'll have to do the best he can with
whatever vampires of the appropriate groups are available. The
important thing to consider is that he can't go on with less than 12
vampires in his crypt. Reducing an illegal group 1-2-3 crypt to 9 or
10 vampires to make it group 2-3 also ease things for the player to
draw the "best" vampire he has (of course, some tricky decks could
lose a lot if they depend on the group 1 vampires to function, but
that's usually the exception to the rule.)

>MY THOUGHTS
>I didn't request decklists. I don't like to require them, because it
>creates a hurdle for tournament entry. Nonetheless, I should at least
>make them optional.

I understand that it sometimes postpone the beginning of the
tournament, but it's a necessary "evil". It's easier to start the
tournament 10 to 20 minutes late and cope with it than it is to
correct an illegal crypt in the middle of a round.

You can ask players to send you the decklists in advance by mail or in
hand during casual play. Once the Prince of my city even awarded a
discount in the entry fee to the players who sent decklists in
advance. If you do this regularly, players will get used.
Last sunday's qualifier in here had more than 80% of the decklists
sent in advance or brought out ready at the tournament. It
significantly reduced the amount of time taken to check for illegal in
the venue. It also incidentally make players aware that they should
prepare properly to a tournament.

>Before the tournament, I said, "Everyone has legal decks, right?" and
>everyone kinda nodded approval. I didn't state clearly what defines a
>"legal deck" and I should have.
At the time of the ruling, I didn't ask how much the group 1 vampire
>did before the table noticed the problem. I vaguely recall that it was
>untapped with full blood when I was called over, but still I should
>have asked. At the time, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the
>problem was noticed immediately. I wonder about that now, as I'm
>writing this up.

I think you shouldn't blame yourself and wonder much. These sort of
things happen, and if someone was hampered by that particular vampire,
that someone will eventually understand that the main problem was not
your assumptions at the time, but the misinformation/dishonesty of the
offending player who came in with an illegal deck.

>I ruled that the vampire was immediately removed from play. The player
>was good natured about it, and apologetic. The table seemed to think
>it was a fair penality. He is a very experienced player and should
>have known better, so I felt confident in punishing him severely (at
>least it seemed severe to me.) I considered disqualifying him, but
>even in that case, I wouldn't have removed him from the game. In my
>opinion, removing someone from the game in the middle is one of the
>most disruptive things that can happen (short of spilling a bunch of
>liquid on the table.)

Personally I consider the penalty to be far from severe. A "very
experienced player" should know the grouping rule. Of course, no one
is short of making mistakes - I've built a crypt once for an anarch
deck, and when I started playing it, I noticed that I included six
titled vampires! (it was before Anarch Secession was out, obviously).

But it was a deck assembled in a hurry before a casual game.
Tournaments should be taken seriously by players. I know there are
very experienced players out there that assemble decks at the time,
but I'm sure most of them do that because building decks is so easy to
them that they can't go wrong. Every player should know what are his
limits and don't risk commiting deckbuilding errors ("errors" used
here in the sense of assembling something illegal).

>I think that the Judge's Guide suggested penality is both too harsh and
>too disruptive. I understand that we wouldn't want the penality too
>lax lest players begin to intentionally abuse it. Nonetheless,
>actually removing someone mid-game lacks elegance. In this case, I was
>confident that it was an unintentional mistake, and not cheating.

If you are confident with that, I personally think you ruled the
situation very well.

About the judge's guide being too disruptive, the VEKN rules talk
about rewinding thing as much as possible. I find rewinding a good
"tool" to make things less disruptive after most given penalties.

>Fortunately from a judging perspective, the player didn't make the
>final, so it wasn't an issue what would happen with his deck. Had the
>problem arose in the first round, I'm not sure what I would have done
>for the second round. I believe I would have found a similar capacity
>vampire that was legal for that crypt, perhaps duplicating an existing
>vampire in the crypt.
>If the player made the final, I would have been tempted to prevent him
>from playing in the final, though it's hard to say. Whatever ruling I
>made, I would have attempted to nullify any benefit the player received
>from bringing an illegal crypt.
>Also, it was fortunate that 11 cards were group 2-3, and only one was
>group 1. If there had been more group 1s, the problem would have been
>more difficult to correct, and the infraction more severe (in my
>opinion.) I'm not sure how it would have changed my ruling; I probably
>still would have replaced all the group 1s with similar cap vampires.

Fine considerations, but if I was to suggest something, it would be
for you to start asking for decklists prior to the beginning of play
(be it in advance or for the players to bring the lists ready when
they come to play) and take some time to check at least the crypts.
Most of the time nobody will be able to, say, play a Return to
Innocence without being noticed - and even if they do, it's easier to
correct the play of most banned library cards than it is to correct
illegal crypts on the fly.

It also helps in determined whether a player is intentionally trying
to cheat or he's just misguided. Most cheaters won't push their luck
bringing a decklist featuring an illegal crypt. And if they're caught
using a vampire that's not in their decklist, you're free to take the
most severe of penalties without drawing attention to himself or being
taken as a harsh judge.

>I welcome the insight of everyone else who has tournament judging
>experience. I'm sure a similar situation has come up at many different
>tournaments.
>Ira

I must admit that I judged two or three tournaments only, but I'm
usually side to side to most organizers in nearby cities as an NC.
Hope I could help.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V for Vendetta on the big screen!
http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

In message <1116407178.945159.47240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"ira212@gmail.com" <ira212@gmail.com> writes:
>This is a good discussion point! I think I disagree. Why can't I
>prevent the player from entering the finals, if he played with an
>illegal deck?

You can - see the judging guidelines for details of the fact that
they're only guidelines and appropriate penalties are always required,
not slavish adherence to guidelines. You could simply DQ a player, if
it was an appropriate penalty to the situation at hand.

However, imagine a player with a 90 card deck. It's a heavily political
deck, and the player happens to include one copy of Dramatic Upheaval -
they've been out of touch for a while or is new, and aren't aware it's
been banned. Upon attempting to play it, the rest of the table says
"But that's banned!" The player calls the judge over to confirm and
sort out the situation. The card is withdrawn from the deck, and the
judge checks the rest of the deck to confirm that they are legal for
both grouping and banned cards.

End result: the player has an 89 card deck which is still a legal size,
has received no benefit from the card and is about to be subject to a
penalty. The guidelines already lay down a game loss as a typical
penalty, and make clear that the intended resolution is to allow the
player to compete in all other rounds - which includes the final, if
they happen to do well in the remaining rounds.

What purpose would be served by preventing them from playing in the
final, in such a case, if they amassed sufficient GW and VP in other
rounds?

When judging, I have often very briefly gone over common problem cases
before the start of play. This used to include:

- please make sure people know the difference between negotiation prior
to a block on a political action, and the setting of terms
afterwards, as the fighting about who said what is tedious

- please don't hurry through combat, making it hard for people to play
cards at the right time, if you can avoid it sensibly

- if you have an issue with a deal that is being brokered at your table,
please call me over sooner rather than later, as it is much
easier to make rulings sensibly if I know what the earlier
situation was

These days, it would also include:

- please make sure that you have a legal deck, particularly the newly
banned cards X, Y and Z. Also, make sure that your vampires are
from an allowed grouping pair. If you didn't know that there
are some restrictions on what vampires can go in the same deck,
or aren't sure how they work, please come and talk to me
RIGHT NOW.

--

On Wed, 18 May 2005, David Zopf wrote:

> "Matthew T. Morgan" <farquar@io.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Jozxyqk wrote:
>>
>>> Chain of Command/Undue Influence-qui would cause the incoming vampires to
>>> burn
>>> if they violated the rule.
>>> Illusions of the Kindred, no. It would only be checked when vampires
>>> move from
>>> the uncontrolled region to the ready region, not any other way.
>>
>> Hello turbo-Possession decks!
>>

> Hrrm. SGR 1.1?: "SGR is checked when crypt cards enter the controlled
> region from either the uncontrolled region, or the ash heap." ...implying
> that it is not check when the card enters play from your hand, or control
> changes from another player. *shrug*
>
> DZ
> AW

Both Chain of Command and Undue Influence (at qui) move a vampire from the
uncontrolled region to the controlled region. The text I quoted didn't
say anything about moving from the ashheap.

I wasn't actually familiar with all the rules for SGR 1.1, but since I
believe it was invented only this morning, I feel fairly comfortable
discussing the above quoted rule variant, even if it doesn't conform
exactly to SGR 1.1. :)

Matt Morgan

"Jozxyqk" <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote in message
> ira212@gmail.com <ira212@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TOURNAMENT CASE STUDY
>
>> You are the head judge in a local tournament (2 rounds + Final) where
>> one player played an illegal deck by bringing a crypt with group 1, 2,
>> and 3 vampires. In the first round of the tournament, only group 2 and
>> 3 vampires were influenced out, so nothing was noticed.
>
>> In the second round, the player influenced out several group 2 and 3
>> vampires, and then influenced out a group 1 vampire. You're not sure
>> if the table noticed immediately, or after the group 1 vampire had
>> taken some actions.
>
> This thread has given me a slightly-tangential idea for a suggestion of
> a change to the Grouping Rule.
>
> Instead of being an at-deckbuilding-time rule, what if the Grouping Rule
> were a game-time rule?
>
> That is:
> You could build your crypt however you want, with whatever vampires you
> want, from any group.
> But it would be illegal to bring a vampire into the ready region from
> your uncontrolled region if his Group would violate the Grouping
> restrictions. If it happened "by accident", then the incoming vampire
> would burn, just as if it would self-contest.
>
> You could still take control of vampires from other Methuselahs that
> violate the grouping rule.
> If you were playing Group 3-4, and took control of another Methuselah's
> Group 1 or 2 vampire in such a way that you controlled them during your
> influence phase (i.e. Graverobbing), then you wouldn't be able to bring
> out any more of your own vampires legally until you got rid of him (and
> if he got Banished, you could burn him by "re-influencing" him).
> But other than that, I think the rule could be handled quite smoothly.
>
> Thoughts?

Initial impression; that's pretty damned smooth. Lets think on it a bit,
though. I'm mulling a few questions right now...Can the proposed rule
exclusion for taking control of other Meth's vampires end up with any
freaky-wierd rules conflicts? How would this work with temporary control
effects on your own crypt/uncontrolled region (Chain of Command, Illusions
of the Kindred...)?

Oh, amy I give your proposed rules change a name? The Smooth Grouping Rule
(SGR). It'll save some posting headaches. If it fails under scrutiny, then
we'll rename it the Un-smooth Grouping Rule :)

LSJ, was this one of the grouping rules options which was considered and
rejected for some reason, or is this "original work"?

DaveZ
AW

David Zopf <davidxzopf@snetx.net> wrote:

> "Jozxyqk" <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote in message
> > Instead of being an at-deckbuilding-time rule, what if the Grouping Rule
> > were a game-time rule?
> > [snip]

> Initial impression; that's pretty damned smooth. Lets think on it a bit,
> though. I'm mulling a few questions right now...Can the proposed rule
> exclusion for taking control of other Meth's vampires end up with any
> freaky-wierd rules conflicts? How would this work with temporary control
> effects on your own crypt/uncontrolled region (Chain of Command, Illusions
> of the Kindred...)?

Chain of Command/Undue Influence-qui would cause the incoming vampires to burn
if they violated the rule.
Illusions of the Kindred, no. It would only be checked when vampires move from
the uncontrolled region to the ready region, not any other way.

Where it might break down is with Embraces. Effects which bring a new
vampire into play would necessitate a default Group, or a "Groupless"
term, in case of banishment/stealing/etc.

> Oh, amy I give your proposed rules change a name? The Smooth Grouping Rule
> (SGR). It'll save some posting headaches. If it fails under scrutiny, then
> we'll rename it the Un-smooth Grouping Rule :)

It's difficult to test, since the current grouping rule would be a total
subset of it, but I might run a test event (or custom storyline) that
uses this new rule.
I don't expect it to be widely embraced (no pun intended), but I had to
share it when it entered my brain...

> David Zopf <davidxzopf@snetx.net> wrote:
>
>> "Jozxyqk" <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote in message
>> > Instead of being an at-deckbuilding-time rule, what if the Grouping Rule
>> > were a game-time rule?
>> > [snip]
>
>> Initial impression; that's pretty damned smooth. Lets think on it a bit,
>> though. I'm mulling a few questions right now...Can the proposed rule
>> exclusion for taking control of other Meth's vampires end up with any
>> freaky-wierd rules conflicts? How would this work with temporary control
>> effects on your own crypt/uncontrolled region (Chain of Command, Illusions
>> of the Kindred...)?
>
> Chain of Command/Undue Influence-qui would cause the incoming vampires to burn
> if they violated the rule.
> Illusions of the Kindred, no. It would only be checked when vampires move from
> the uncontrolled region to the ready region, not any other way.

This is precisely why the rule is "unsmooth". You'd have to make rulings about
every which a vampire can show up in a player's controlled region. And all
players and judges would have to remember all nuances of all rules.

This was being proposed to simplify anything? I think not.

Fred

On 17 May 2005 19:40:26 -0700, "ira212@gmail.com" <ira212@gmail.com>
scrawled:

>TOURNAMENT CASE STUDY
>
>You are the head judge in a local tournament (2 rounds + Final) where
>one player played an illegal deck by bringing a crypt with group 1, 2,
>and 3 vampires. In the first round of the tournament, only group 2 and
>3 vampires were influenced out, so nothing was noticed.
>
>In the second round, the player influenced out several group 2 and 3
>vampires, and then influenced out a group 1 vampire. You're not sure
>if the table noticed immediately, or after the group 1 vampire had
>taken some actions.
>
>You did not require that the players provide a decklist.
>
>For reference, the VEKN Judge's Guide, section 103,
>http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/veknJudgesGuide.html suggests a penalty
>of a Game Loss for an illegal deck, and states that, "If the penaly
>occurs in the middle of a game, the judge should award pool and/or
>Victory Points to the player's Predator, or making other arrangements
>to preserve game balance for the remaining players, as warranted
>(possibly awarding partial VPs)."
>
>DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
>
>1) Do you agree with the recommended penality from the Judge's Guide?
>If yes, describe what approach you would use to "preserve game balance
>for the remaining players." If no, what penality would you enforce?

I agree with it. Penalty, in addition to the game loss? probably a
tracked Warning.
method of preserving game balance? totally and utterly subjective
depending on game state.

>2) Does the player's experience level matter in determining the
>penality? Elaborate.

no. elaboration: really, it doesn't. bad deck, out.

>3) Does the number of actions the group 1 vampire took make a
>difference? If so, how does that change the penality you would
>enforce?

yes. but only so much in how i 'preserve game balance' after giving
them the game loss.

>4) If this situation arose in the first round, or if the player made
>the finals, how would you adjust (or have the player adjust) the
>illegal deck to continue playing?

depends on the nature of the deck. if it was 13 vampire, with one
group 1, the answer is obvious. other solutions would need to be
decided by a judge, who would use their judgement, based on materials
at hand.

>MY THOUGHTS
>
>Before the tournament, I said, "Everyone has legal decks, right?" and
>everyone kinda nodded approval. I didn't state clearly what defines a
>"legal deck" and I should have.

well, it might have helped. it might not. i once saw a large (20+)
crypt across table from me at the start of a round, owned by a newbie.
i asked "that does conform to the grouping rules, doesn't it?" to just
be careful...he replied "yeah..".

turned out he didn't know what the grouping rule was. a situation
almost identical to the one you described then occurred. i thought the
judge was too soft about it, but i was merely a player.

luckily in the situation i had, the G1 vamp was noticed as soon as it
became controlled, so 'fixing' was a lot less messy.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

Jozxyqk wrote:
> Instead of being an at-deckbuilding-time rule, what if the Grouping Rule
> were a game-time rule?
>
> That is:
> You could build your crypt however you want, with whatever vampires you
> want, from any group.
> But it would be illegal to bring a vampire into the ready region from
> your uncontrolled region if his Group would violate the Grouping
> restrictions. If it happened "by accident", then the incoming vampire
> would burn, just as if it would self-contest.
>
> You could still take control of vampires from other Methuselahs that
> violate the grouping rule.
> If you were playing Group 3-4, and took control of another Methuselah's
> Group 1 or 2 vampire in such a way that you controlled them during your
> influence phase (i.e. Graverobbing), then you wouldn't be able to bring
> out any more of your own vampires legally until you got rid of him (and
> if he got Banished, you could burn him by "re-influencing" him).
> But other than that, I think the rule could be handled quite smoothly.
>
> Thoughts?

Your idea could work, yes. But where is the advantage that would justify
changing the rules AGAIN?

Even worse (in terms of player satisfaction) than introducing a grouping
rule is to change it over and over.

--
johannes walch

Johannes Walch <johannes.walch@vekn.de> wrote:
> Jozxyqk wrote:
> > Instead of being an at-deckbuilding-time rule, what if the Grouping Rule
> > were a game-time rule?
> > [snip]

> Your idea could work, yes. But where is the advantage that would justify
> changing the rules AGAIN?

It's just an idea.
It would stop judges from having to worry about newbies screwing up
their crypts, and it might introduce some new strategies (in much the
same way that the Anarch Revolt change has created as much as it has
destroyed).

I don't think it's *necessary*; I like the grouping rule fine the way it
is. But I read your post, and this was the first thing that came to
mind, and I like sharing my ideas.

ira212@gmail.com wrote:

> 1) Do you agree with the recommended penality from the Judge's Guide?
> If yes, describe what approach you would use to "preserve game balance
> for the remaining players." If no, what penality would you enforce?

I agree that the penalty in the judges guide is useful in some instances, up
to the discression of the judge. I suspect, however, that most situations
are resolved in a much easier and more reasonable way than by eliminating a
player.

> 2) Does the player's experience level matter in determining the
> penality? Elaborate.

Sure. If someone is new, I'm a lot more likely to just fix it. If it is
someone who plays a lot, and they are like "Man, I didn't notice that.
Doh!", I'm also likely to just fix it. If, however, it is someone who does
this every time we play, I'm a lot more likely to opt for something more
drastic.

> 3) Does the number of actions the group 1 vampire took make a
> difference? If so, how does that change the penality you would
> enforce?

No. If someone notices as soon as the vampire comes into play, I'd likely
just have the player pick another vampire off the top of their crypt (making
sure it is legal) and either replace the illegal one and get a pool refund
(if smaller) or leave them uncontrolled to influence out with more pool (if
larger). If the vampire had been in play for a while, and someone just
noticed, I'd likely suggest that I go through the player's crypt and find
the closest aproximation of that vampire that is legal and replace them, and
pretend it had been there all along.

> 4) If this situation arose in the first round, or if the player made
> the finals, how would you adjust (or have the player adjust) the
> illegal deck to continue playing?

By finding a way to fix the illegal crypt between rounds--maybe replacing
illegal vampires with non illegal ones as closely as possible.

If it was, like, the continental championships or something, yeah, I'd
probably have to DQ the offender, but the situation as presented was a small
local tournament. Given this, I'd find a way to fix the problem without
DQing anyone, and everyone would move on.

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil

Ira writes:
> For instance, one thing that I've noticed is that pretty much
> everyone agrees it's very tricky to remove someone from
> the game and "preserve game balance." How could we
> teach a new judge how to do such a thing? I've judged 20+
> tournaments and I still would have difficulty removing
> someone from the game and preserving balance. Making
> someone a poolbag helps their predator and prey, and
> hurts both people crosstable. That doesn't preserve
> balance at all.

I think one assume "preserve game balance as best you
can". There's no way to fully restore game balance in
these situations, so minimizing the damage done to
balance probably should be the guiding principle.

Also, these situations are typically very subjective and/or
contextual, and as such it's very difficult to give a blanket
guideline. So, when I say "I think you handled things just
fine", it's meant not just as a pat on the head, but an
acknowledgement that the course of action you took
could be recommended and applicable to similar
situations. For further guidance, I think all we can really
do is collect as many examples of rulings as we can as
well as list more suggestions in the Judge's Guide based
on context.

The only similar such ruling I can remember having made
myself was when someone recruited a Nephandus Mage
with a Tremere (and had no !Tremere in play at the time),
and (I think) torporized a vampire with it. Given the time
that had passed since the ally was recruited, it wasn't
possible to rewind back to the player's turn, so I decided
that the torporize vampire should be out of torpor with as
much blood as it should have had on it, and the Nephandus
Mage was burned.

With respect to your grouping rule problem, there was a
tournament around here where someone made that mistake
at the start of a game in the first round (honest mistake),
so the judge had the player correct the crypt and re-do his first
turn and move on.

> I think the Judge's Guide would be most useful if it assumed
> the most common case (not the worst case.) I personally
> would prefer to be guided on the most common cases (local
> tournaments), not the rare cases (continental championships.)

I'd rather it assume the highest level of seriousness, and
list a range of options depending on context. I believe
Robert Goudie maintains the document.

- Ben Peal

Fabio "Sooner" wrote:
>>You did not require that the players provide a decklist.
> That's the problem in the "setup", I think.

Why? Even if you have decklists it is impossible to check them before
the tournament starts.

I assume that checking one decklist for a) banned cards, b) not yet
legal cards and c) grouping rule takes average 1,5min per piece. With 20
players it takes 30min too check, a bit too long for everybody to wait.
And with more players it´s even worse.

--
johannes walch

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:46:55 +0200, Johannes Walch
<johannes.walch@vekn.de> wrote:

>Fabio "Sooner" wrote:
>>>You did not require that the players provide a decklist.
>> That's the problem in the "setup", I think.
>
>Why? Even if you have decklists it is impossible to check them before
>the tournament starts.
>I assume that checking one decklist for a) banned cards, b) not yet
>legal cards and c) grouping rule takes average 1,5min per piece. With 20
>players it takes 30min too check, a bit too long for everybody to wait.
>And with more players it´s even worse.

It depends largely on the way you handle the thing and what resources
you have available.

As I said throughout the answer, the local Prince tends to ask for the
decklists in advance, usually by e-mail. At worst, players should
bring the decklists ready from home. This reduces significantly the
amount of decklist to be checked right out the time the tournament is
supposed to begin.

Of course, if you have to fully check 20 decklists or more at the
venue, it will take precious time. But usually checking for illegal
crypts is enough. There are so few banned cards, and the players
normally are well aware of which cards they can't use.

Again, if the organizers receive decklists in advance, they have
plenty of time to check every single card if they want to.

Also, it depends on how many people are involved in the organization,
and how early players come to the tournament. In here we got used to
announce a start time around 30 to 60 minutes earlier than the exact
time needed to handle all rounds properly - so if the tournament must
begin at 11 a.m. it is announced that it will begin at 10 or 10:30
a.m.
This compensates late arrivals, which are pretty common, and gives the
organizers time to check the lists.

Of course, this doesn't prevent players from bringing decklists that
are not accurate, but as I said in the previous post, once a player is
caught doing that, it will be hard for him to convince the judge that
he is not intentionally cheating. Even if it's perfectably normal for
someone to mismatch a vampire in a hurry, once one's caught, he'll
certainly check more than twice next time he builds a deck for an
important tournament. Leniency is the basis of bad habits.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V for Vendetta on the big screen!
http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

"Jozxyqk" <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote in message
> David Zopf <davidxzopf@snetx.net> wrote:
>
> Chain of Command/Undue Influence-qui would cause the incoming vampires to
> burn
> if they violated the rule.
> Illusions of the Kindred, no. It would only be checked when vampires move
> from
> the uncontrolled region to the ready region, not any other way.

'K. So I'm thinking a narrower rule might help matters, such as: "SGR
checks vampire cards for their group when entering play from the
uncontrolled region."

> Where it might break down is with Embraces.

Does it?

> Effects which bring a new
> vampire into play would necessitate a default Group, or a "Groupless"
> term, in case of banishment/stealing/etc.

I think this is actually sovled by the narrowed definition above; SGR checks
*vampire* cards when entering play from the uncontrolled region. Embrace,
Tumnimos, WoKR, Waters are not vampire cards in the sense that they lack
brown backs, and should therefore not be checked by this rule.

I've also been thinking about the limitations this would place on targeting
of temporary and permanent changes of control originated by other players.
Does this rule unnecessarily limit those tactics (which aren't so prevalent
to begin with, and IMO don't really need limitation)? I worry that a deck
based on control change might start targeting in a non-systematic fahsion,
if their prey happens to be "immune" simply due to choosing the right
groups. That potentially takes the game in a bad direction (cross-table).
Is there some easy/elegant way to eliminate this possibility?

> It's difficult to test, since the current grouping rule would be a total
> subset of it, but I might run a test event (or custom storyline) that
> uses this new rule.
> I don't expect it to be widely embraced (no pun intended), but I had to
> share it when it entered my brain...

Yeah, I agree on both counts. It looks nice on the surface, and all we're
doing is knocking around an idea. I'm suggesting no knee-jerk proposals,
but this has a nice, self-limiting angle to it which appeals to me a fair
bit more than the current rule. If you take the added value of
incorporating an extra group in your crypt, you accept the risk that some of
the vampires you draw may be unusable. Risk...Reward, and an easy to
understand explanation of how it works.

DZ
AW