[SOLVED] Case's glass panel "exploded"

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
I was building a new pc and when I was about to close the side panel with the glass, as I was trying to find out the correct way to slide it in, and while holding it in the air, it made a cracking sound and somewhat exploded on my hands. Thankfully no injuries but minor cuts, but some shards went into the open case which was standing, not lying on the desk. I used a blower from a distance to clean the mobo and whatever was on it, removed it from case and shaked it, didn't hear any sound from pieces in cpu or gpu fans or weird corners. I removed the psu too and shaked it and pieces of glass came out.
The question is, apart from any big piece of glass that could get stuck on any fan, is there any other problem with whatever is on a mobo that could be of a problem in the future? I think that glass is not an electric or thermal conductor in general but not sure about the type of glass that is used on pc cases.

Solution
I was building a new pc and when I was about to close the side panel with the glass, as I was trying to find out the correct way to slide it in, and while holding it in the air, it made a cracking sound and somewhat exploded on my hands. Thankfully no injuries but minor cuts, but some shards went into the open case which was standing, not lying on the desk. I used a blower from a distance to clean the mobo and whatever was on it, removed it from case and shaked it, didn't hear any sound from pieces in cpu or gpu fans or weird corners. I removed the psu too and shaked it and pieces of glass came out.
The question is, apart from any big piece of glass that could get stuck on any fan, is there any other problem with whatever is on a...
The question is, apart from any big piece of glass that could get stuck on any fan, is there any other problem with whatever is on a mobo that could be of a problem in the future? I think that glass is not an electric or thermal conductor in general but not sure about the type of glass that is used on pc cases.
Light bulbs are made from glass so you don't have to worry about electrical conductivity. Glass acts more as a thermal insulator than a conductor so no worries there. Clean up all you can and move on. A micro fiber cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol may help to wipe up the smallest particles. Toss the cloth afterwards and wait for the alcohol to completely evaporate before proceeding. Be sure the system is shutdown and unplugged before working on it. If you have small pets you may want to be sure they can't stick their nosey little heads in there while you await replacement of the side cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Light bulbs are made from glass so you don't have to worry about electrical conductivity. Glass acts more as a thermal insulator than a conductor so no worries there. Clean up all you can and move on. A micro fiber cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol may help to wipe up the smallest particles. Toss the cloth afterwards and wait for the alcohol to completely evaporate before proceeding. Be sure the system is shutdown and unplugged before working on it. If you have small pets you may want to be sure they can't stick their nosey little heads in there while you await replacement of the side cover.

Got it, thanks.