CAT 7 wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
So I've bought a new computer. I want to run CAT 7 ethernet cable on a straight shot from downstairs to upstairs. I've found CAT 7 cable on Newegg for a reasonable price.
What I can't seem to find are the termination ports (female ends). Their not the regular RJ45. They seem to be called GG45 ( GigaGate45 ). Also where to get a termination kit?
Or are RJ45 and GG45 the exact same thing?

Solution
Cat 7 does not use the RJ-45 connector standard, so the equipment will be expensive. you will have to use Cat 6 RJ-45 ports if your adament on using Cat 7 cable as they are far cheaper than the GG45 connectors at £15 per port.

Cat 5e can do 1Gbps
Cat 6 can do 10Gbps - 40Gbps
Cat 7 can do 100Gbps

besides 1Gbps and the odd 10Gbps switch, the equipment is very expensive and you will not find any home products for those speeds.
Cat 7 does not use the RJ-45 connector standard, so the equipment will be expensive. you will have to use Cat 6 RJ-45 ports if your adament on using Cat 7 cable as they are far cheaper than the GG45 connectors at £15 per port.

Cat 5e can do 1Gbps
Cat 6 can do 10Gbps - 40Gbps
Cat 7 can do 100Gbps

besides 1Gbps and the odd 10Gbps switch, the equipment is very expensive and you will not find any home products for those speeds.

Solution

adnohr

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

The GG45 is not a RJ45. The GG45 however is backward compatible to the RJ45. This enables one to install a 7/7a infrastructure and run 5 - 6a equipment and patch cords. You will find GG45 outside the USA very easily, however inside the USA is very difficult. The international standard bodies are recommending 7a with GG45. A termination called Tera is also available, is multi-application ready for 7/7a but is not backward compatible to the RJ45. PS. 15 years ago everyone said 5 would be the fastest anyone would ever need. Who knows what the future holds but if the trends continues we all know more digital information will be coming through those wires. (3 ->5 ->5a ->6 ->6a -> 7 ->7a and 8 and 8a are both in the works.) Data centers are using the 7x stuff internally because of internal traffic requirements(computer-computer/NAS) within the data center, not because of internet requirements that are external traffic needs which right now do not need the speed and slower data transmission speeds are acceptable

Reactions: kceagles69

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Yea I was going to use CAT 7 but the GG45s were impossible to find in the USA w/o some special order. So I just use CAT6a Rosewill cable. The only problem I have is sometime the Male ends on the cable won't snap into place, they fit, they just won't snap tight.

Mar 14, 2022
Ok, so I got google fiber and replaced all my internal cables with the CAT 7 cables. Yes they do work fine and did increase my fps on games and video. Remember that GG45 is backwards compatible with RJ45. The CAT 7 cable is more durable as well and will last longer. Not sure what the issue is in regards to using the CAT 7 since I have been using it on my system for a couple years now and also used it when I worked in a computer lab with over 1000 computers. Better speed and better shielding what more can you ask for?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, so I got google fiber and replaced all my internal cables with the CAT 7 cables. Yes they do work fine and did increase my fps on games and video. Remember that GG45 is backwards compatible with RJ45. The CAT 7 cable is more durable as well and will last longer. Not sure what the issue is in regards to using the CAT 7 since I have been using it on my system for a couple years now and also used it when I worked in a computer lab with over 1000 computers. Better speed and better shielding what more can you ask for?
You're replying to an 9 year old thread.

What may have been applicable in 2013 is not necessarily applicable in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.