Question Cat crashes my PC

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Hey guys, so ive had my pc for a while and never had many problems, but my cat jumped on it the other day and it froze, now, like once day ( i play for 5+hours a day) it freezes, something that didnt use to happen at all, all pc gets locked up and i need to restart it in the power button.
Any suggestion on finding out the problem?
Ive considered re-seating the rams but that seems like it wouldnt be it.
I also noticed a while back that my HDD sata entry is broken and the sata cable isnt fix in place, but i dont really think thats it, bc ever since she jumped on it shes hasnt jumped anymore but the crashes are still happening.

Suggestions :SSS?

EDIT:
I5 4690K
GTX 10606B
16GB RAM 1600MHZ HYPERX
KINGSTON SSD 120 ( With windows on it)
650W Bronze Corsair
h81m-k asus mobo
7200rpm random brand hdd that came with my old pc

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"HDD sata entry is broken and the sata cable isnt fix in place, "

Not sure about the "entry" but I believe that you mean "port".

Any sort of loose/broken connection is going to cause problems.

You may be able to move the HDD to another SATA port - if one is available.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
This:

"HDD sata entry is broken and the sata cable isnt fix in place, "

Not sure about the "entry" but I believe that you mean "port".

Any sort of loose/broken connection is going to cause problems.

You may be able to move the HDD to another SATA port - if one is available.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.
as soon as i can ill edit to show my specs, the reason i think its not the hdd is because the cat jumping on my PC wouldnt be enough to damage the sata port on the hdd, and this has never happened prior.

as for the hdd itself, i ran crystaldiskinfo and it has 36 bad sectors, idk if thats the cause

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Tells me that your HDD is going bad, so get a new disk SOON and backup anything you want to save immediately.
Event 41 may or may not be related to a bad PSU. It's common to that issue, but will also pop up for unexpected crashes for other reasons as well. I would replace the disk first, do a fresh install, THEN follow up on other issues if present afterward.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
36 bad sectors according to crystaldiskinfo, eventviewer doesnt tell me much i get 41 kernel error for the restart but it doesnt tell me much
Event 41 that is just a general event and can be anything from hardware to software.

You said the SATA port on the drive is broke and does not hold the cable firmly. That can be a problem the HDD vibrates a bit and you momentarily loose connection.

Bad sectors most drives have some.

I would replace the drive, first back up anything you can't replace (actually you should already have backup if you have things you can't replace)

You never listed the parts your using but it might be a good time to add a SSD for the OS and programs.

While I was inside the PC I would unplug all power connectors, reseat the memory and video card, then reconnect all the power connectors.

EDIT make sure to turn off the [power supply before working on the PC.

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Event 41 that is just a general event and can be anything from hardware to software.

You said the SATA port on the drive is broke and does not hold the cable firmly. That can be a problem the HDD vibrates a bit and you momentarily loose connection.

Bad sectors most drives have some.

I would replace the drive, first back up anything you can't replace (actually you should already have backup if you have things you can't replace)

You never listed the parts your using but it might be a good time to add a SSD for the OS and programs.

While I was inside the PC I would unplug all power connectors, reseat the memory and video card, then reconnect all the power connectors.

EDIT make sure to turn off the [power supply before working on the PC.
already have an ssd, hdd is for videogame + other stuff storage, i reseatted rams and havent had a crash, but ive spent over a day with no crashes before, if i do get another crash i guess ill get a new hdd, this one has 3.2years usage o_O

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
already have an ssd, hdd is for videogame + other stuff storage, i reseatted rams and havent had a crash, but ive spent over a day with no crashes before, if i do get another crash i guess ill get a new hdd, this one has 3.2years usage o_O
If you reseated the memory and have had no crashes then nothing else to do just yet.

EDIT I'm using a couple drives that are like 6 years old. The broke SATA connector on the drive bothers me a bit.

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
If you reseated the memory and have had no crashes then nothing else to do just yet.

EDIT I'm using a couple drives that are like 6 years old. The broke SATA connector on the drive bothers me a bit.
sata connector isnt properly broken, just the part that sticks it, so if i pull the cable it comes off with no resistance

edit: its the hdd not the cable, ive tried swapping cables same result

artk2219

Distinguished
sata connector isnt properly broken, just the part that sticks it, so if i pull the cable it comes off with no resistance

edit: its the hdd not the cable, ive tried swapping cables same result

How old is the thermal paste and what did you use when you built it? If its artic silver 5 or some other setting paste like that your cat jumping on it could have shaken it enough to break the contact between your cpu and cooler, or gpu and its cooler. Either way if youre also getting disk issues i would backup my data, reseat and repaste my cpu, repaste my gpu, replace that broken sata cable, do a fresh install on a new disk, copy any needed data back, and then give it a shot after that. It sounds like it may just need some maintenance.

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
How old is the thermal paste and what did you use when you built it? If its artic silver 5 or some other setting paste like that your cat jumping on it could have shaken it enough to break the contact between your cpu and cooler, or gpu and its cooler. Either way if youre also getting disk issues i would backup my data, reseat and repaste my cpu, repaste my gpu, replace that broken sata cable, do a fresh install on a new disk, copy any needed data back, and then give it a shot after that. It sounds like it may just need some maintenance.
i dont think thermal paste would be the problem, i play heavy games and temps wont go over 60º, also the cable isnt broken thats the problem, the HDD itself is :S

artk2219

Distinguished
i dont think thermal paste would be the problem, i play heavy games and temps wont go over 60º, also the cable isnt broken thats the problem, the HDD itself is :S

Yes, which is why i stated you should backup the data, replace the disk, do a fresh install, and copy the data back after that. Just do some general maintenance on it basically, blow out the dust from everywhere, reseat the ram, reseat the cpu, repaste the cpu, repaste the gpu, reseat the gpu, replace the disk, do a fresh install of windows, move anything important back over, then go from there. It could also just be that something is on its way out, but this gets general maintenenace out of the way as a contributing factor.