Question Cat5e cable is only providing a 100Mbps connection.

Jun 18, 2022
I have Cat6 cabling running around the house, terminating at a 1Gbps network switch and a Cat 6 patch panel. This network does provide a 1Gbps connection to my access point, so I know the issue is not with anything else in the system. However when connecting a Cat5e cable from the port in the wall to my PC, I only get a speed of 100Mbps, I have used a Cat6 cable and gotten 200Mbps - as that is the plan I am on now, anyone know why this Cat5e cable is unable to go above 100Mbps?

Could be a wiring issue with the cable and the connected devices just falling back to 10/100 as a sort of fail safe, Thats the only thing I can think of if a different cable works. There really isn't much of a different between cat5e and Cat6 that would cause that, its mostly just windings shielding and cat6 have a thicker copper core.

Jul 27, 2022
A few things can cause this. If your CAT5e and CAT6 cables are longer than 100 meters you will start seeing a drop in performance. If 1 wire out of the 8 is broken it can drop to 100 mbps because 100 mbps only needs 4 wires for that data rate. If the cable wire has an improper configuration (pinout) it can't support the correct frequency, this usually only happens if you're making the cable.

USAFRet

Titan
I have Cat6 cabling running around the house, terminating at a 1Gbps network switch and a Cat 6 patch panel. This network does provide a 1Gbps connection to my access point, so I know the issue is not with anything else in the system. However when connecting a Cat5e cable from the port in the wall to my PC, I only get a speed of 100Mbps, I have used a Cat6 cable and gotten 200Mbps - as that is the plan I am on now, anyone know why this Cat5e cable is unable to go above 100Mbps?
That is almost certainly a bad Cat5e cable.

It is "flat"? Those are NOT to spec...the wire gauge is too small.
There are many many fake/crappy cables sold.