Cataclysm Sells 4.7M Units in One Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well worth it, i havent been away from wow for allmost 2 years, i got Cataclysm Collectors Edition, and the changes are well worth it WoW is not back with the fresh new revam it really improves on what needed improved a long time ago with BC and WotLK.
Recomment to aget 1-2 month game time and take it slow let it sink in, its how the game is most enjoyable. Don't rush the game it will spoil everything.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The expansion was brilliant. Everquest did many years ago when they released Everquest 2 and it was a flop.

To me Cataclysm is baiscaly a new game but they let you keep your characters from the old game so you can enjoy the new game game content right away instead of starting over.

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]jeffredo[/nom]Regret buying it.[/citation][citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Well worth it...[/citation]
The Internet: forcing humanity to recognize our inherent differences since 19?? (disagreed upon date).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its a forum, people are allowed to have different opinions. Its only health rather than the "mainstream" worshipers without a will of their own!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i'm enjoying it, mmo's aren't for everybody, heck computer games aren't fo everybody... but WoW is fun, good low cost entertainment for me and my wife, and i thank blizzard for providing a fun cheap media to be part of :D

mavroxur

Distinguished
WoW has been a failure since the pre-WOTLK patches when they started dumbing down the game and nerfing everything to make the game easier. That's why I quit before Wraith, and after wraith came out, i played for a few weeks (to give it the benefit of a doubt) and regretted even trying it after WOTLK. It's not the challenging, interesting game it once was back in the Pre-BC and BC days.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
"It's also now the fastest selling PC game of all time"
Should expansions to an existing game count as an individual game in sales? I don't understand this.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'm pleased with the new content so far. They added a lot of quests, but not that much like it feels you've been in the same zone for weeks. There's more cinematics (maybe too much in Uldum) that makes you feel more part of the story. The dungeons are well designed and are insanely difficult on heroic mode! It's a good thing, because in WotLK it was more pussy/normal than normal/heroic. I haven't stepped in any raid yet, but we should make our first attempt in Bastillon of Twilight this sunday.

Considering thse addition, the revamping of all the old zones, the graphics amelioration, the rewriting of the caracter progression, we can safely say that it's a whole new game, not a simple expansion.

David the Gnome

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]WoW has been a failure since the pre-WOTLK patches when they started dumbing down the game and nerfing everything to make the game easier. That's why I quit before Wraith, and after wraith came out, i played for a few weeks (to give it the benefit of a doubt) and regretted even trying it after WOTLK. It's not the challenging, interesting game it once was back in the Pre-BC and BC days.[/citation]
Then Cataclysm should be right up your alley. They've made the end-game much more challenging, so much so that they've alienated a lot of the casual gamers who loved WOTLK. You won't be able to run heroics when you hit 85, you have to spend time gearing up before you are even allowed to queue for one, let alone survive a heroic dungeon. If you long for the days when WoW had an element of challenge then Cataclysm is the expansion for you. Anyone who's tried to run a random heroic (or heck, even some of the non-heroics) can tell you it's a LOT harder than it used to be.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
After being away for five years and rerolling new toons, I can actually see myself enjoying this game for more than 3 months.

[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]WoW has been a failure since the pre-WOTLK patches when they started dumbing down the game and nerfing everything to make the game easier. That's why I quit before Wraith, and after wraith came out, i played for a few weeks (to give it the benefit of a doubt) and regretted even trying it after WOTLK. It's not the challenging, interesting game it once was back in the Pre-BC and BC days.[/citation]

I am inclined to disagree w/ you saying that the game is now worse. Going through the revamped vanilla content, and then hitting BC, and going to WotLK and Cata, I can tell you that the least fun portion was BC, because that is the most like old school Vanilla. Just because there is now an actual flow to the quests, and you don't have to punish yourself to get worthwhile rewards doesn't mean the game is worse than the old days. I understand some of the resentment as I played at launch and remember with disdain the quest to get the waterform for the druid, and quests for warlock pets, as they completely disrupted the whole questing flow you might have been working on just to get one skill. The time sinks are reduced significantly from what they used to be, traveling around zones is much less painful with more numerous flight paths, and quests are grouped together comprehensively instead of scattered all over the damn zone, and requiring you to grind 50 damn mobs for 5 drops.

Hitting the Outlands now gives you a taste of the old, and it tastes horrible. I don't miss the days of getting a quest in one corner of the map that sends me to the opposite corner, or even another zone, just to come back for a turn in. I enjoy that I can get a quest in one town and the majority of the objectives can be found close by. It just makes sense from a logical point of view. I hate that I spend the majority of my time just traveling and doing little else on the way to the next area in BC, yet in the other content you will usually find quests on the way to your next destination to keep you occupied. And phasing is the best damn thing to happen to MMO's since it allows the world to reflect your achievements and make it seem like you're making an impact.

I could never stay with vanilla because there was a certain point where the rewards became stretched too far apart to be worth while (30's is where it became a tedious grind for me), and there wasn't enough variety of content to keep me occupied during these times.

Getting back into WoW has been a blast, and aside from the pain and monotony of Outland, I've been going nonstop since a week after Cata's release and I haven't slowed yet.

Madhatter4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
I was a huge World of Warcraft fan for a long time but Cataclysm is just a rehash of the same old thing. Blizzard is really beating a dead horse with this game.... time to move on to a more worthy MMORPG

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@nexus9113 : I agree with every single word. We should hang out.

Cata as taken the best out of BC and WotLK to create challenging, yet accessible content. In dungeons, you can't just rush in every trash mobs without thinking and get away with it like in WotLK, but you don't have to take 5 minutes planning every pull like in BC.

Questing might be a bit too dumbed-down though. Auto-complete is an awesome feature that is well used. Some quests requires you to go back to the giver, usually because it unlocks more quests, while auto-complete allows you to carry on with what you were doing previously. I say it's dumbed-down because of the objective tracker which shows you where to go to do your quests. You don't even have to read the quest, just go to the number on your map. It's great for power-leveling, but it gets you away from the story. I understand blizzard had no choice doing that, since addons shuch as QuestHelper were doing it anyway. You can always turn it off if you're really into discovering stuff by yourself.

I also think there's too many flight paths. Sure, 1 FP in the upper-left corner of Badlands was painful, but 6 FP in Western Plaguelands? Really? Also, with so many FP and the ability to fly everywhere, random PVP encounters have dropped dramatically. I remember the thrill of leveling in Stranglethorn Vale, watching my back every now and then so I don't get ganked. Good times.

Still, I continue to think Cata brings the best out of every aspect of WoW since vanilla.

K3vBot6000

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I am hoping it is less dumbed down. I loved the challenge of Vanilla and BC much more than the fall asleep style WotLK introduced. Nothing took effort, epics were handed out like hearthstones, and the number of incompetent players increased dramatically.

We'll see how it plays when I finally resume WoW in the summer.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I have a hard time trying to figure out what Blizzard is trying to do with WoW. I enjoyed BC and then they dumbed down the game with Wrath. I bitched at first but finally accepted Wrath. I got to see quite a bit of raid content in Wrath and actually got to gear up alts in Heroics for alt raid nights and what not. Wrath did get stale towards the end.

Now with Cat, the questing is dumbed down and linear to the point that once you level a toon from 80-85, you've seen everything in the questing sense. There is no jumping around to different quest hubs in a zone anymore to try something different with alts. You get to do the same exact quests over and over again to open up new quest hubs if you level alts. For end game, the easy mode heroics of Wrath are gone. Now unless you do a heroic guild run, you sit in que for 40 minutes as DPS only to have the tank and/or heals drop group because they don't like the random heroic they got because it is "too hard", so the whole time you spent in que was wasted. Other times the tank, heals and/or dps suck and the group eventually falls apart. Blizz screwed over healers in this expansion too, so a lot of people don't want to play healers anymore which just compounds the problem. Almost daily hot fixes just scream to me that Activision made Blizzard rush the release.

End game Wrath was geared towards casual players and now Cat is the opposite of that. Casual players sitting at 85 have two options at the moment, run regular dungeons to hopefully gear up enough to get into heroics someday with a group that sticks or play unbalanced pvp. Both BC and Wrath had better endgame options for newly level capped people imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS