Catalyst 5.8 out

It's a very good way to do a public beta without getting ATi's own hands
dirty.

> It's a very good way to do a public beta without getting ATi's own hands
> dirty.

I can't recall the last time I had driver troubles with ATI, other than the
memory leak problem with Doom 3 with a few of the earlier 5.x sets.
However, I hope they don't force CCC down our throats!

Well, DriverHeaven is getting a one-day exclusive before ATi releases them
officially. In the unlikely event a significant bug is found in the first
24-hours, the drivers may be witheld.

My experience with ATi drivers has been as good as yours.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I can't recall the last time I had driver troubles with ATI, other than
> the memory leak problem with Doom 3 with a few of the earlier 5.x sets.
> However, I hope they don't force CCC down our throats!

JB

>> I can't recall the last time I had driver troubles with ATI, other than
>> the memory leak problem with Doom 3 with a few of the earlier 5.x sets.
>> However, I hope they don't force CCC down our throats!<

The earlier CCCs were slow and I avoided them. But I tried CCC with cat5.7
and it performed well. I was also surprised that, althought my benchmark on
3dmark 2001se went down considerably, my game performance improved to where
IL2/Pacific fighters is now very playable in the perfect graphics mode.
This is with an overclocked P4-1.8a.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:10:58 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> It's a very good way to do a public beta without getting ATi's own hands
>> dirty.
>>

>I can't recall the last time I had driver troubles with ATI, other than the
>memory leak problem with Doom 3 with a few of the earlier 5.x sets.
>However, I hope they don't force CCC down our throats!

Rumor has it the forcing down our throats will start with Cat 5.9

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:45:10 GMT, "Stronghold" <jcr28@canada.com>
wrote:

>Driverheaven said that ATI has given it permission to host its Catalyst 5.8
>driver, 24 hours before it's generally available
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25451 available here:
>
>http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm

No mention in release notes of a fix for the Far Cry problem.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:55:10 -0700, WillyG <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>|On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:45:10 GMT, "Stronghold" <jcr28@canada.com>
>|wrote:
>|
>|>Driverheaven said that ATI has given it permission to host its Catalyst 5.8
>|>driver, 24 hours before it's generally available
>|>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25451 available here:
>|>
>|>http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm
>|
>|No mention in release notes of a fix for the Far Cry problem.

What FarCry problem?.. Its been running amazing since 5.6.

Pluvious

Your performance gains are from the newer 5.7 drivers, not from the CCC
interface.

wrote:

>Driverheaven said that ATI has given it permission to host its Catalyst 5.8
>driver, 24 hours before it's generally available
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25451 available here:
>
>http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm

They're on the ATI site now.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

JB

Of course.

> Your performance gains are from the newer 5.7 drivers, not from the CCC
> interface.

> "JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The earlier CCCs were slow and I avoided them. But I tried CCC with
>> cat5.7 and it performed well. I was also surprised that, althought my
>> benchmark on 3dmark 2001se went down considerably, my game performance
>> improved to where IL2/Pacific fighters is now very playable in the
>> perfect graphics mode. This is with an overclocked P4-1.8a.

Stronghold

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005

List of Fixes Catalyyst 5.8 (
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_58_release_notes.html )

New Features
The latest CatalystT software suite provides support for COPP (Certified
Output Protection Protocol) which is available in both Windows XP Service
Pack 2 and the latest version of Windows Media Center 2005 (available
through Microsoft Windows Update). COPP support will allow users to view
high definition analog and digital content (to be released in the future) on
select digital and analog displays

Issues Resolved in CatalystT Software Suite 5.8
The following section provides a summary of the issues that have been
resolved in the latest version of CatalystT. These include:

a.. Battlefield 2: Geometry corruption or missing textures are no longer
noticed when playing the game for an extended period of time under Windows
XP with an ATI Radeon® X800 XT installed
b.. 3D Mark03: Enabling Powerplay mode and running the 3DMark03 or 05 in a
loop no longer results in an error message being displayed
c.. Area51_2.3dc: Playing the game under Windows XP no longer results in
the NPC and guns appearing distorted, flashing or missing. Further the
polygons no longer pop in and out of the display
d.. GTA: Vice City: Setting the desktop and the game display option to
1024x768 32bpp and attempting to play the game under Windows XP MCE, no
longer results in an Invalid Pixel Format message being displayed after
approximately 5 minutes of game play
e.. Lineage 2: Playing the game under Windows XP no longer results in
display corruption being noticed
f.. Movie Maker 2: Connecting an external video source using the S-video
composite connectors, no longer results in the Movie Maker 2 application
intermittently failing to capture video, when selecting the Capture from
Video Source
g.. MU Online: Opening a chat window and playing the on-line game no
longer results in hesitation being noticed when pressing the Enter key
h.. Quake 3: Enabling SmartShaderT followed by attempting to do a mode
change while playing the game, no longer results in the game failing to
respond
i.. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Running the Dantoonie level of
the game no longer result in hesitation being noticed
j.. Terathon: Starting the Terathon 3D engine and selecting a single
player demo, no longer results in the 3D engine failing to respond under
Windows XP
k.. Trackmania Sunrise: Playing the game under Windows XP no longer
results in the operating system failing to respond, when attempting to exit
the game after leaving the PC idle for an extended period of time
l.. Warcraft III: Playing the game under Windows XP with the display
rotated by 90 degrees CCW, no longer results in display corruption being
noticed
m.. Performing an overwrite of the video driver install, no longer results
in the Hydravision Multidesk feature being unable to load
n.. Video mode and Overscan can now be enabled when connecting a TV as the
secondary display device and setting the display resolution to 640x480 32bpp
60Hz and extending the desktop
o.. The Select by Signal Format is now the default setting when connecting
a TV to an ATI display adapter
p.. CatalystT Control Center: Updates to saved profiles is now available
q.. CatalystT Control Center: Connecting a TV using the S-Video connector
no longer results in the Apply button found in the TV properties of the
Catalyst Control Center being active when no changes are made to the TV
properties
r.. CatalystT Control Center: An intermittent service error message is no
longer displayed when starting up the Windows XP MCE operating system
s.. Connecting a TV as the secondary display device and a CRT as the
primary display device, no longer results in the Video mode and Overscan
option not functioning properly when extended desktop is enabled
t.. CatalystT Control Center: Double clicking anywhere on the CatalystT
Control Center background after changing the color correction to the Full
Screen 3D option no longer results in a full screen preview
u.. Hesitation is no longer noticed when attempting to resume from an S3
or S4 state with Analog tv
v.. Random display corruption is no longer noticed when playing a raw
audio/video capture for the first time
w.. Configuring Windows Media Encoder 9 as ATI AVStream Analog capture and
ATI AVStream Analog Audio capture, followed by selecting a TV channel as
input, no longer results in the both the Input and Output windows going
black when Start Encoding is clicked
x.. The DVB-T channel scan time no longer appears to be slow
y.. CatalystT Control Center: Graphic truncation is no longer noticed
under the Desktop and Display Setup of the Display Manager, in the German
edition of the Catalyst Control Center
z.. CatalystT Control Center: The text found in the Overlay/VIDEOVISION
section of the CatalystT Control Center is no longer cut-off for the Turkish
edition of the CatalystT Control Center
aa.. Setting the desktop resolution to 1024x768 32bpp and using the DVI
connector to hot-plug an HDMI display device, no longer results in an error
message being displayed
ab.. Using the ATI recommended speed option found in the OverdriveT tab of
the CatalystT Control Center, no longer results in the engine and memory
clock values being the same as the default values
ac.. Using the DVI connector for a DFP display device, and the S-Video
connector for a TV, no longer results in the driver returning the wrong
display mappings when unplugging the DFP display device and extended desktop
is enabled
ad.. CatalystT Control Center: The Set Desktop Area To, is no longer
enabled and the resolution list is no longer available, when hot-unplugging
a secondary display device under Windows XP
ae.. Playing an MPEG file on a secondary display device that is connected
to the DVI port, no longer results in the lower portion of the playback
window being missing
af.. Hesitation in the Aquarium screen saver is no longer noticed when the
ATI Multimedia CenterT is running
ag.. Using a limited account under Windows XP and changing the
SmartShaderT aspect from none to black and white, no longer results in a
general protection fault
ah.. Creating a custom hot-key for rotation no longer results in the
custom hot-key to become unavailable for the secondary display device, when
extended desktop is enabled and both display devices are set to 1280x1024
Known Issues for CatalystT Software Suite 5.8
The following section provides a brief description of known issues
associated with the latest version of CatalystT. These include the
following:

a.. City of Heroes: Playing the game under Windows XP Media Center Edition
may results in display corruption being notice when attempting to
task-switch between the game and the desktop. Further details can be found
in topic number 737-19792
b.. Doom3: Playing the game under Windows XP Media Center Edition may
result in a noticeable performance decrease or corruption of the MCE
on-screen display dialog box when lowering or muting the audio during game
play. Further details can be found in topic number 737-19791
c.. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Geometry corruption may be noticed when
running the mission under Windows XP and using the default setting for the
game. Further details can be found in topic number 737-19795
d.. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time: Attempting to launch the game under
Windows with an ATI Radeon® X800 XL installed results in an error message
being displayed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-19787
e.. Rainbow six3: Athena Sword: Playing the game under Windows 2000 with
an ATI Radeon® X700 installed results in the game failing to retain its
resolution option of 1600x1200 if you Alt-tab out of the game and then
Alt-tab back to the game. Further details can be found in topic number
737-535
f.. Serious Sam: The Second Encounter: Playing the game for approximately
5 to 10 minutes under Windows XP with the game quality set at
normal/default, results in display corruption being seen in the menu.
Further details can be found in topic number 737-10090
g.. Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Saving a game and attempting to load the
saved game under Windows XP results in the preview window display a blank
preview screen. Further details can be found in topic number 737-19786
h.. World of Warcraft: Enabling Full-Screen Glow in the game may result in
a blue screen image being displayed when walking under water. This issue is
know to occur when using an ATI Radeon® 9100 or 8500 series product. Further
details can be found in topic number 737-19075
i.. World of Warcraft: Display corruption is noticed when switching
between the game and the Windows desktop, when the desktop is set to
1280x1024 and the graphic preferences is set to Optimal Quality. Further
details can be found in topic number 737-19785
j.. The Apply button in the Custom settings of the Advanced mode found
under the CatalystT Control Center Video standard settings is grayed out
when playing a media file. Further details can be found in topic number
737-497
k.. Changing the DPI setting found in the General tab of the display
properties to Large size (120 DPI) results in the change not taking effect
when launching the CatalystT Control Center. Further details can be found in
topic number 737-18885
l.. Connecting two display devices using the DVI and CRT connectors on a
system containing an ATI Xpress 200 results in the system failing to resume
when entering standby state. Further details can be found in topic number
737-19538
m.. The CatalystT Control Center may display blank pages when quickly
exiting and re-launching the CatalystT Control Center while hot-plugging or
hot-unplugging a CRT display device. Further details can be found in topic
number 737-20070
n.. CatalystT Control Center: Customizing the CatalystT Control Center may
result in the customized logo's for the CatalystT Control Center not
appearing on the Windows desktop or the system tray. Further details can be
found in topic number 737-20071
o.. Installing an All-in-Wonder® into a system containing an ATI Radeon®
Xpress 200 series and an ATI Theater 550 Pro may result in loss of signal
error message when setting the country region to Sweden. Further details can
be found in topic number 737-20073
p.. Connecting an HDTV to an ATI Radeon® X700 series may result in the
HDTV being detected as a CRT or TV under the Windows XP operating system.
Further details can be found in topic number 737-20074
q.. Attempting to install the integrated WDM driver under Windows XP may
result in an error message being displayed indicating that the hardware is
not installed because the install Wizard cannot find the necessary software.
Further details can be found in topic number 737-20075
r.. Connecting a CRT and a TV may result in the TV not being automatically
detected under Windows XP MCE when using an ATI Radeon® 9550/9600/9650
series. Further details can be found in topic number 737-20076
s.. HDTV support may still be displayed within the control panel with ATI
products that do not support HDTV. Further details can be found in topic
number 737-20077
t.. Having an HDTV connected to an ATI Xpress 200, followed by
right-clicking the ATI logo on the Windows taskbar and selecting 640x432
HDTV optimized resolution results in the display mode being the same as
640x480. Further details can be found in topic number 737-20078
u.. Connecting two display devices using the DVI and CRT connectors on a
system containing an ATI Xpress 200 results in the system failing to resume
when entering standby state. Further details can be found in topic number
737-20079
v.. CatalystT Control Center: The Overdrive Automated Clock Configuration
Utility may continue running even after the user selects apply or cancel in
the utility's confirmation window. Further details can be found in topic
number 737-20080
w.. CatalystT Control Center: Connecting a TV as the only display device
to an ATI Radeon® X300/X600 series may result in the Signal Format found in
the Adjustment page of the TV Properties being labeled as Unknown. Further
details can be found in topic number 737-20081
x.. ATI Multimedia CenterT: Selecting Sweden as the region in the MMC may
result in the Teletext displaying incorrect text. Further details can be
found in topic number 737-20089
y.. Three of the four ATI entries found in the Add or Remove Programs for
Windows XP Japanese version, maybe displayed in English. Further details can
be found in topic number 737-20090

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=13699

COPP is a copyright protection scheme. Those wisecracks at ATi are putting a
different spin on it. Nice to see driver development money spent on "useful"
features for the consumer.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:37:09 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>>|No mention in release notes of a fix for the Far Cry problem.
>
>What FarCry problem?.. Its been running amazing since 5.6.
>
>Pluvious

From Rage3d.com

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33823478

"I am playing Far Cry with patch 1.32 and with Cat 5.6s it runs
perfectly, but with 5.7s I get VPU errors constantly as well. Playing
at 1280x1024, 2x AA/8xAF settings a mix of very high/maximum."

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33705231

"Farcry VPU errors at 1280 x 1024 res
Affects: R300 - R360 cards
Workaround for problem: Use 5.6 drivers or earlier
drivers, still broken in 5.8"

Heh. Certified? By who, Orrin Hatch?

Linux is looking better and better all the time.

"Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Heh. Certified? By who, Orrin Hatch?

I'm not sure if COPP is exclusive to WinXP. It may be some hardware or
interface standard envisioned for TV sets.

> Linux is looking better and better all the time.

Most people update their ATi drivers to get bugfixes and performance
enhancements for the latest games. The latest games do not run on Linux.
Sure, it's a chicken-and-egg thing. More developers will probably support
Linux if the OS had a larger installed base.