Catalyst 7.2 and Control Center Crashes

Catscratch

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Plain pain.

The card is Sapphire x1950xt.

Like CLI.exe crashes with 7.1, now the new 7.2 control center crashes. If you run it for the first time, it runs ok. If you close it and run it again, it crashes, first the monitoring (MOM.EXE) then the Host utility (CCC.EXE) goes down.

Ppl were saying they solved that CLI.EXE crashing problem with installing framework 1.1 first and then the 2.0. It doesn't solve my problem :(

I'm forced to use ATItool for heat monitoring for now.

Catscratch

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Update :

-I installed .Net Framework 1.1 SP1. Now I have 1.1, 1.1 sp1 and 2.0
-I uninstalled 7.2 Control Center and installed 7.1 Control Center. Running along with 7.2 Display Driver and 7.2 WDM Driver.

There are no control center crashes anymore.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I'm running it on Vista and cannot get it to work properly. 7.1 was fine for me, rarely did CLI.exe crash but now when i log into vista there's an instant error msg saying it has crashed.

I've went to reinstall it again over the top of current 7.2 and it now says that i don't have the display driver installed but have the control center WTF?!?!? I chose express install the first time!!

7.2 was fun for me..... installed it....let .net 1.1 on....as it worked with the last one...even after being told it would not....then it just kept on crashing....had to uninstall it get the new .net and reinstall....been good since....

as a plus side the new CCC is allot less hogging.....no 5 cli's running...just 1 CCC...

Catscratch

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I had tried 7.1 and I just know that when it was first released it required .net framework 2.0, nothing less. Now it says 1.1 or 2.0. Interesting turn around from ATI.

Anyway, i wanna explain the behavior of 7.2 CCC further.

When 7.2 CCC was installed it was using 2 exe files. CCC.exe and MoM.exe. When they were first up and running, i could open CCC. But if I close and try to run it again, CCC.exe and MoM.exe was crashing. This means they ain't running anymore on background.

But if I try to run CCC again (when ccc.exe and mom.exe weren't running) it forces those exe files to run again and CCC actually comes running without problems. AGAIN if i close CCC and reopen, those two files crash themselves again and so on.

So i kept the 7.2 display and wdm drivers and just uninstall 7.2 CCC. Then installed 7.1 CCC which runs just fine.

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I'm running it fine on Vista Home Prem. Have you checked that the service it needs to run is set on automatic and not manual? as the CCC.exe is in the start up folder it will start the service at start up for you if set at manual but perhaps not on multiple attempts you can change the service to automatic in Start/Run/Services.msc if you're running vista just type services.msc in the search tool.

Hope this helps

Vic.

Catscratch

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Well i know it's a service, it runs on startup and it also runs another file MoM.exe.

When it(7.2) runs, it runs faster than the previous type of CCCs. However i wasn't able to use it properly so i gave up on 7.2 CCC.

Maybe I should try it again. I didn't have Framework 1.1 SP1 when I tried 7.2

Too bad, it crashes instead of warning "I want this to run". It's also bad when it says it requires framework 2.0 but doesn't work without 1.1 installed previously !!!

And if my signature was working, you would know that I use Win XP Pro sp1a.

---------------------
Manual Signature:
Epox MF4-Ultra3, Athlon 64 3200(AM2), Kingston 2x512 533mhz in Dual Channel, Sapphire x1950xt 256mb, SBlive 5.1, 2x80gb, Windows XP Pro Sp1a, Tagan easycon 480w(30A combined), Philips 107t5

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i installed .NET Frame Work 2.0 before installing the Catalyst 7.2 & had no problem with the Control Center...But the Control Center will crash if i install the .NET Frame Work 2.0 after installing the driver 7.2
strange...

andi

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I have an ATI Radeon 1600 Pro video card
whenever I play a PC game, such as Unreal Tournament 99 or Counter-strike source, my computer makes a funny noise, almost like musical notes, and then shuts off with no warning
when this first started happening I would reboot my computer to find a CCC, CCS, or MoM error. now it gives me no errors at all.
I tried reinstalling drivers and currently I have framework 1.1, 7.1 control center with 7.2 display driver
I didn't have any of these problems until I reinstalled windows XP a couple of weeks ago, and the only new hardware I have if a new keyboard.

Catscratch

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
You should try cleaning every driver file with a tool and do a clean 7.1 install.

There's an old but effective saying (all manufacturers say this in their FAQ) :
"Do not update a driver if you don't have any problems."