Catalyst crashing...

guardiangr

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Hello, I recently have a weird problem with my gpu. i have a sapphire 5870 with the latest catalyst ver. 9.12.

so, when i run dual monitors and on the first i am playing wow while i watch tv on the second via windows media center my monitors freeze for 2-3 secs, go blank and then restore with the message "display driver stopped responding and was recovered". i have to mention that happens whenever i have windows media center open on my 2nd monitor and that can happen as often as every 4 mins or so.

i tried uninstalling catalyst, cleaning the system with driver cleaner and re-installing them but no luck. gpu-z report 73-74 degrees on temperature so that ain't a problem. any ideas?

thank you!

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Those temperatures are perfectly fine.. robert has no idea what he is talking about. all modern GPU's tend to approach 90C these days.. Until it is over 90 there is nothing to worry about, it is supposed to be in the high 80s at full load.

Anyway, that issues is Timeout detection and recovery going off. Are you running seven or vista?

The error is supposed to notify you that the GPU has crashed, sometimes it does not work properly. The only sure fire way to ensure it is not software running amok is to do a fresh install of windows.

Likely is that something is wrong with the card (memory is the usual suspect), though it is possible that anything from the MB to Ram is at fault. Is anything overclocked? If so, check for stability.

If this issues is only just starting to crop up then check software you installed lately. It is possible the heat sink is no longer making good contact with the VRMs as well, check those temperatures as well (and the memory).

Yeah I would think something may be wrong with your card, or possibly WOW. Does this happen if you run another game on one screen and your other items on the 2nd? Your temps are perfectly fine. 70's are nothing for a video card. I would worry if they start to approach 90.

I have a 5870 and have no issues with a 2nd screen running while gaming.

guardiangr

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I'm on win7 ultimate x64. Strange thing is that it only happens when i use windows media center on my second screen. Everything else works fine. Never had a problem like this with any game i've played recently (and i consider modern warfare 2 a more demanding game than wow :p ).

Anyway, when i have the time i will do a clean win install again, might be that i changed mobo, ram and gpu and i couldn't bring myself to format so i used the copy i already had installed.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Aye, first thing to look at is a clean install. You could easily have things floating around from the old chip set that are borking with the computer.

mohsentux

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
ok i had a little research on it and some people said that their display driver crash might be the result of a very low idle clocks.you wanna check on that?

guardiangr

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

I'll check that aswell, thank you for the tip!