Question Catastrophe is the Best Way to Describe It.......

ItsEnraged

Prominent
Aug 22, 2021
First thing first I guess. Specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Motherboard

EVGA FTW3 2080ti GPU

32GB Corsair 3600Mhz RAM

Samsung 980 1TB M.2

Crucial P1 1TB M.2

Seasonic 850W Focus Hybrid 80 Platinum PSU

3 Dell S2721DG Monitors

I don't know where to post this or where to begin. I have been defeated. I have tried everything I can and I am not sure what else to do. I started getting random black screens after upgrading to the 5900X. Not as soon as I upgraded. A few months later. I had the 3900X previously with ABSOLUTELY NO problems with that since it dropped. I pulled that for another PC build. Back to the black screens. The black screens were complete DP signal loss and after about 5-10 seconds, they would come back on. This started originally with playing games only, but later moved into happening while opening games and occasionally various apps. In the middle of the game, the screen would black out, then when the monitors came back on, I was at my desktop, but I could still hear the game. I could still control the game as well. Playing multiplayer games with friends proved this to work. They often guided me to safety while I booted back in. I would have to Alt+F4 the game and come back in order to get it to work. Also when the screens go black, everything locks up for the whole time it is happening. The fans on my PC are set to vary in colors an rotate constantly, but when this happens, they all freeze until the monitors come back up. Here's where the troubleshooting begins.

The first thing I did was the obvious...Drivers. I uninstalled the display drivers (using DDU) and reinstalled the latest driver (Clean Install) to see if that would fix it. It got kinda worse, or at least it seemed as if it was happening a little more frequently.

I then uninstalled the newest driver and tried using multiple previous drivers to see if that would work. That changed nothing as well.

Decided to check for BIOS updates and see whether or not there was a new one. There was. I updated the BIOS to the most recent Stable version. This fixed nothing.

I then thought maybe it had something to do with my drive. I ran multiple test to see if there was anything wrong with it such as sfc scannow, etc. Nothing came back as corrupted/bad.

I then figured what the heck, let's reinstall windows and see what happens. So I did a fresh copy of windows, updated all the drivers, and put only a couple games I play on the PC. Didn't fix nothing.

I had an issue with my GPU fan crating some noise and was waiting on an RMA to show up during some of this. I received the RMA, uninstalled the drivers again using DDU, and reinstalled the new drivers with the new GPU. Didn't fix it.

I then replaced the boot drive with a new SSD and reinstalled windows, updated all drivers again, only to have no fix.

I thought there had to be something wrong with the PSU possibly at this point, but watching the voltage (Aida64 and HWinfo) when staring games or testing other issues, there was nothing that said it was bad.

At this point, I saw some posts about using the PBO and setting a -15 value in the BIOS and that helped someone else with the issue. I tried that with no success.

I reached out to ASUS about the MB because they had a FAQ posted about the same issue I was having. After troubleshooting with the agent, I was sure it was the motherboard. I had another/different board here and figured I could try it to see if there was an issue using that board. I swapped out the X570 for a B550 using the 5900X still and repeated the above process. This did not fix the issue neither.

I then thought, lets see if this is the processor then maybe. I swapped back to the X570, but put my 3900X into the board and somehow I now have the same issues that I never had using this combo before.

I came back to thinking maybe there was something to do with the PSU after all. Maybe the voltage fluctuations where causing an issue. Thinking this, I set the voltage to static 1.28V and did an all core overclock to 4.3Ghz on the 3900X (previously stable OC from the past) that this would keep from any fluctuations in the voltage and should prove that loading the game, or the game causing power consumption issues would be halted. That's my thinking anyways.

I am no professional by any means. I know enough to fix 99% of the stuff I run into. This one though has me ready to throw in the towel. Im over it and completely demoralized from it defeating me over and over. The next step today is forking out the money to purchase a new PSU. This is the last thing I can think of trying. I wouldn't think that the RAM has anything to do with this, but I could be wrong of course. This type of problem though, seems as if its something other than RAM. I do have 32GB of 3000Mhz I could try to see if that fixes anything.

Looking through the Event Viewer, I find the error "nvlddmkm" with Event ID "14" and the following message when the problem occurs:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
CMDre 00000003 00000308 00040220 00000004 00800002

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

I don't know what else to do from here. I've probably forgotten a few things here and there, but this is the general steps I have taken so far. Any thoughts, fixes, troubleshooting info, or ways to kick this into working would be greatly helpful at this time. If I don't find out the issue soon, Im gonna have to throw this thing out not knowing what the issue is. I couldn't part it out if I didn't know what the bad part is and I can't sell it like this either. Im stuck with a $3000 paper weight at this point and its killing me. Thanks for any and all help in advance. Also thanks for taking the time to read this if you made it this far.

Last edited:
I then thought, lets see if this is the processor then maybe. I swapped back to the X570, but put my 3900X into the board and somehow I now have the same issues that I never had using this combo before.
You should plug in your 5900X and uninstall the processor in device manager first like this:
unknown.png

Then proceed with installing 3900X. Usually i always do this before changing to any processor.

Maybe you want to give a shot fresh installing the windows using 3900x instead and re flash the bios again but using that cpu. and see if it fixed the thing.

ItsEnraged

Prominent
Aug 22, 2021
I can try this to see if I can get the 3900X to work again. The only thing is when I tried to do a BIOS flash, it wouldn't let me use an older version. I thought about doing this before (going back to an older BIOS) and it told me the one I chose was not valid basically. I chose it because it was the version before the 5000 series update. Apparently, its too old now. I can try a slightly newer one possibly and see how it works. Im gonna have to go get some new Thermalpaste though. Lol. Im almost out after 4 swaps.

I can try this to see if I can get the 3900X to work again. The only thing is when I tried to do a BIOS flash, it wouldn't let me use an older version. I thought about doing this before (going back to an older BIOS) and it told me the one I chose was not valid basically. I chose it because it was the version before the 5000 series update. Apparently, its too old now. I can try a slightly newer one possibly and see how it works. Im gonna have to go get some new Thermalpaste though. Lol. Im almost out after 4 swaps.
Well you could afford a arctic mx4 or gelid gc extreme for cheap but solid performance. for the bios, while using 3900x, just reflash the same or the latest bios, disable csm support, install windows 10 as usual then install everything you did before. IF it went normally, RMA the CPU.

ItsEnraged

Prominent
Aug 22, 2021
This matter has not been resolved, but I have mostly given up on it. I believe its a driver issue between Nvidia and Microsoft Direct X. All the errors after crashes that report back through DUMP files are nvlddmkm.sys and Direct X errors. I have tried 2 cpus, 3 gpu's (got the 3080ti), 2 motherboards, 2 SSD's, 2 PSU's, multiple Windows OS installs with various ways of installing (online/offline/limited apps/etc) I have updated the BIOS twice within the last month since they have had a new BIOS update within the last couple weeks. I have done just about everything I can think of and it still happens. It seems to happen less and less at the moment, but it still happens. I will get it figured out one day I hope and if I remember to, I will stop in here (as long as I can) and post what the fix was. Til then, I'm gonna keep trying random things.