CBHD is China's Own Blu-ray Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chinese want to create clone of all major innovations happen outside china to
have a control over it.

google clone, russian rockets, processor, even wifi security standards, ... list goes on...

why should others buy Chinese made stuff? Think about it...

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Evilshuriken[/nom]Is it weird that I read the quote in the 4th paragraph with a bad Chinese accent?Does it make me a bad person?[/citation]

THe 4th paragraph is written like a 1990's motherboard manual :)

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Lol blu-ray is costly because it's not consumed enough dvd prices used to be blu-ray prices when it was transition years of vhs to dvd.

enyceckk101

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I heard something about 500gb disk coming out soon. I will take over blu ray.

" GE microholographic storage promises cheap 500GB discs, Blu-ray and DVD compatibility "

"Ah, holographic storage -- you've held so much promise for cheap optical media since you were first imagined in research papers published in the early 60s. Later today, GE will be trying to keep the dream alive when it announces a new technique that promises to take holographic storage mainstream. GE's breakthrough in microholographics -- which, as the name implies, uses smaller, less complex holograms to achieve three-dimensional digital storage -- paves the way for players that can store about 500GB of data on standard-sized optical discs while still being able to read DVD and Blu-ray media. Better yet, researchers claim a price of about 10 cents per gigabyte compared to the nearly $1 per gigabyte paid when Blu-ray was introduced. The bad news? We're talking 2011 or 2012 by the time microholographics devices and media are introduced and even then it'll only be commercialized for use by film studios and medical institutions. In other words, you'll likely be streaming high-def films to your OLED TV long before you have a microholographic player in the living room."

from engadget

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Warner Bros wants to charge the Chinese 7-10 dollars for a high def movie and $30 for Americans, and they wonder why piracy is growing in the states. Piracy will continue to grow until they start charging reasonable prices. Its like buying an Intel extreme cpu they are way over priced so people don't buy them, they buy a cheaper one and pirate the extra speed by overclocking.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Blu-Ray is costly because of Sony, not low consumption. If we had educated consumers instead of lemmings, HD-DVD would have won out.

Neither is worth crap. Digital distribution is the only way to go for soooo many reasons. Unless we all get "capped" :)

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Lemmings? Blu-ray is the superior technology. It won the war because people didn't want to make the same mistake they did back when VHS won. People care about quality now. Crazy, I know. But it doesn't matter because in a few years (if not sooner) digi-dist will prevail. I hate optical media ;P

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Where can I pick one of these up? And digital distribution is not the way to go right now. Don't get me wrong, one day it will be, possibly in the next five years, but now it's too soon to claim. After all, they don't even have digital distribution of cd quality music yet, yet alone 1080p video. I'm sorry, but AAC and MP3 still don't come close to CD quality and FLAC hasn't caught on. Also, most Americans get less than 15Mbps and for Blu-ray quality video you need at least 30Mbps for real-time streaming, and at the speeds most people have it would take forever to download. Not to mention that High-def streaming on Netflix is still only stereo sound. For now the only viable format of digital distribution is illegal downloading on bit torrent.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Confucius say: You go to jail, bad boyyy![/citation]

Russell Peters quote ftw.

As for CBHD, I actually would agree upon this innovation. Bluray is too expensive to implement in China, the CBHD actually makes more sense and is more cost effective. Both the HD DVD and Bluray uses the same compression techniques. So if the CBHD uses HD DVD compressions, their quality will be almost the same as a Bluray.

So, in the Chinese standpoint it makes more sense to go with the cheaper alternative. If the CBHD couldn't be read in North America or any other regions, this format just made it regioned and of course, publishers will love it.

G

Why don't they just mp4 a blueraydisk, and put it on a 4,33GB DVD?
MP4 compared to MP2 takes up a lot less space.

delete some audio tracks, and screeners / trailers / behind the scenes, and you could compress a 60 minutes HD movie to 2GB with ease!

G

CBHD will be just a China standard and perhaps spreading to India or South Asia, HK and Taiwan. The Asia market here is big enough for the folks in China to manufacture it. Just like Super VCD. there are some Jap model also support that...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Blu-ray sucks. I'm still waiting on a next generation format. My humongous loud ass blu-ray player that was ridiculously overpriced and I have to go for a jog while it boots up can't possibly be "next generation." It's a travesty to all consumers that Sony and Friends were able to buy their way to a format victory.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kmk[/nom]Chinese want to create clone of all major innovations happen outside china tohave a control over it. google clone, russian rockets, processor, even wifi security standards, ... list goes on...why should others buy Chinese made stuff? Think about it...[/citation]

Sounds like apple.

Tayb go say it again to someone else. I personaly love bluray. Course i wasnt stupid enough to buy a new format out of the gate but hey. i didnt even buy a dvd for some years after it came out. The only player i thought was any good for a first run was the large mini disk player.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Technologically speaking, HDDVD was always the "superior" format, and it was manufacturer and cost friendly. Blu-Ray simply won out due to a huge marketing campaign and the massive gamble and financial loss (which still hasn't ended) that Sony took on the PS3. Without the PS3 though, there would have been a strong possibility that it would not have won out. At least this huge gamble panned out well for Sony though (for now). They still have to fend off digital and streaming content however, which that one they cannot. It is getting stronger every day, just as long as the ISP companies don't tighten down and start leeching off of the new fad.

G

Three things
1. Compressing the information that resides on a Blue-ray even further would degrade the information. Not that it isn't already compromised but you have to realize that the compression is already 20x to 30x. Try compressing that even more and you will really be loosing information. (Unless a new way of compressing information comes along...)
2. One of the reasons that it takes so long for the Blu-ray player to initialize is all the crazy DRM and copy protection stuff that is built into it. Besides the money that was thrown around, the extra layer of copy protection built into Blu-ray players was a reason they won the battle with HD DVD.
3. Digital distribution may become a factor when the new level of technology is implemented. New multiplexing? for cable or FiOS. The stuff they distribute now as HD is no where near true HD. Go back and look at some of the original HD wmv files Mircosoft posted when they were bringing that out. 100-200MB for 1-3mins of video. Now they are going to try and tell me that a 1-2 GB file will hold a movie. Not happening.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Sony paid off everyone to go Blu-ray & still trying to recoup the costs of doing so.
It's kind of funny that the #1 counterfeiter out there has to come up with their own format.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Call me naive, but isn't it true that Blu-Ray was a better format then HD-DVD?

I thought that Blu-Ray won primarily because of the PlayStation 3's distribution that made the hardware more readily available than of HD-DVD players.

You guys seem heavily anti-Sony if this is the case. Could be that you all bought stock in HD-DVD too. Anyway, correct me on this before I walk away with a negative opinion of the average Tom's reader!

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Sorry if I sound negative, but I want that to replace the shitty blu-ray legal mess we have in the "western world".
Cheaper, easier to deal with, and won't have as many legal issues!

G

"Chinese want to create clone of all major innovations happen outside china to
have a control over it.

google clone, russian rockets, processor, even wifi security standards, ... list goes on.."

lol... pretty much like apple

Status
Not open for further replies.