CCC Detecting only 1 card, Device manager getting 2...

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I built a crossfire system for the purpose of gaming, and today i recieved the missing interlink bridge cables, so i plugged my 2nd card in (Radeon 3870) and put both cables on. I then booted up, it installed the drivers fine and CCC detected both cards.

However, after installing Crysis and Daemon Tools (and creating a virtual IDE drive for the no dvd mini image...i hade having to have the disk in) CCC only detects one card, rendering Crossfire useless! However when i go into device manager both are there!

Why wont it detect it? I will try and get a new version of CCC now to check that out.

Thanks

Edit: Oh, i also deleted some user account that had been created called something with Windows and NET in it as it was making me click the account to load when the system started up, even though only one was present. Could that be whats caused it? And if so how do i fix it?

Edit2: Im just getting the latest NET framework updates from Live Update and i have just got the newest CCC drivers and software. With the new CCC do i need to uninstall the old one first or not?

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
There is no bios option for enabling crossfire, but after updating all the microsoft NET framework stuff i could find and after installing the new CCC and drivers, it appears to work.

Where as before, when i started Crysis, there were a load of weird blocks on the screen, which i presumed were there because half the information wasnt being rendered as it wasnt detecting the 2nd card, they arent there now. CCC still only detects one card, but after enabling crossfire those weird blocks arent there, and it can play the game with all settings on high and with 4x AA! I appear to have solved it, but if anyone can shed any light on why CCC still only says one card is pluged in i will be very grateful (especially as it is working fine in crossfire now)!

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Well, just then when i tried starting crysis, the entire screen was filled with small white blocks with multi-coloured specles. I guessed this was a heat problem so turned my 36cm side fan up to full and the game loaded (looks like OCing my CPU is out the question if they heat up that fast)!

But im still confused as to why CCC wont acknowledge the second graphics card when Device manager does. In CCC, in the Graphics Adapter drop down menu, it only displays one card (ATI Radeon HD 3870 [N220W DVI]).

Edit: If i enable that ATI Overdrive thing, from the separate drop down menu in there i can see both cards...It also says both of them are at about 49 degrees, is that normal? According to here (http://www.techspot.com/review/76-asus-radeon-hd-3870/page8.html) the Asus version of my card (mine is triplex) runs at 56 idle, 88 load. So mine is a bit lower.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I never done crossfire but isn't it you need to install 1 card after the other with driver installation? and yes do not overclock anything untill you got both cards working.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Try installing CCC 8.1. It should see both after the installation, it only detects the second after a fresh install after the 2nd card is installed.