CCFL Versus LED: Is There A Downside To Going Green?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I am going to get such a monitor later this year. Imagine the leap from CRT to Led LCD.[/citation]

You will be disappointed. So far there is no LCD technology that can match the CRT one. ;) - Except the sharpness... ;)

tigerwild

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
And it is these truly insightful, clear and concise inspections into hardware that will keep me reading TomsHardware.com every day, FOREVER!!!
Kudos...

tigerwild

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I am planning to get one of the 120+ Hz full screen panel LED backlit, not edge lit, displays/TV (30+ inches). I would REALLY like to know more from you guys how they are performing as well.

Color Accuracy and Power Consumption are paramount to me. The only reason really that I will not go back to CRT.

I do everything from image editing, video editing, and video gaming on a 32 inch edge lit CCFL (1900x1200), and a 42 inch LED edge lit (1900x1080 60 fps). I look forward to your take on displays/TVs similarly to this review, THANKS!

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I am going to get such a monitor later this year. Imagine the leap from CRT to Led LCD.[/citation]

A major leap backwards. People seem to have been slowly going blind since the industry determined the extinction of CRT's in favor of the much cheaper to manufacture TN LCD's with their horrible, unrealistic images. Every now and then I try out a new LCD monitor to compare it to my CRT's and all have failed miserably so far.

I bought the Samsung BX2250 LED and was appalled at the absurd brightness of the screen, which is just impossible to set to acceptable levels. The bottom of the screen was at least 50% brighter than the top, so any adjustements would always end up in untolerable color and brightness differences across the screen. It also sported some of the most extreme ghosting problems I've ever seen on a (supposedly) 2ms panel. This was specially noticeable in FPS games when I was moving laterally trying to dodge a fast enemy. The piece of trash was duly returned to the store where I bought it.

Hang on to your CRT until good IPS panels become more affordable. I haven't tested one of these with high speed games so I can't comment on their response times. I've found very little information about IPS game performance on reviews I've read so perhaps someone else could shed some light on this topic.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'd like to see how HP's CCFL's compare. I have an HP w2007 (20" wide screen CCFL from '07) and it looks stunning, but I have no LED screens to compare to.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
To an extent I don't even care if LCD is better or worse, the simple fact that it doesn't wiegh a ton and it's thin makes it a must have for when you need to bring your PC over for a LAN party.

SabreWulf69

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I would like a 120Hz, IPS, fully localized RGB LED backlit display with a low response of around 4-2ms. I will have to admit, in Passmark's Monitor Test on the Printer Test screen that I have never been able to properly see column 19 where the lightest shades of color are on a LCD where as on a CRT I could.

G

I would love to hand them my FW900 for comparison. Would be terrible on the power consumption but crush them into the dirt on everything else.

sblantipodi

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
XRite i1 Display 2 isn't able to calibrate WideGamut CCFL and White LED Backlit so this article is completely unuseful because all measurements are wrong.

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
If only it were simple and cheap to calibrate a monitor. . . problem is that any calibrator worth buying costs more than most people spend on the monitor itself. It just doesn't make sense until you're talking IPS panels or dual/triple setups (where differences in color between screens can drive you nuts).

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I personally can't wait until the OLEDs manufacturing process becomes cheaper. Having seen Sony's new OLED displays at this year's NAB in Vegas, I can say they are VERY VERY impressive.[/citation]
I'm with you on this. The wait should not be too much longer...I hope.

Jarhead_USMC

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
There is White LED, usually based on a blue die and YAG phosphor that is terrible for use in LCDs, but it is the most popular for LCD monitors. Truth be told, most mainline monitor makers are running these LEDs too hard, and their lifespan will suffer. Most of these solutions can only cover a portion of the NTSC color gamut- When speaking of this, one needs to also include which standard for NTSC- as there are two. One is really easy to exceed 100% gamut, the other will give you 70% or lower NTSC color gamut. LCD manufacturers are starting to compromise on their color filters to allow more light to pass through the LCD color filters, giving you a nice BRIGHT screen, but with even lower color gamut. An example is OSRAM's OSLON SX.
http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalogue/catalogue.do?act=showBookmark&favOid=000000000000010100010023

Several companies are utilizing RG Phosphors with the blue die in their LEDs for high color rendering. Their efficiency is 50% lower than the White LED- but these LEDs do not get attenuated much due to the color filters, their light is in the "pass" region, and this dimmer backlight gives you brighter results when passing through the LCD's color filters.
Example: OSRAM's OSLON LX LED.

There are the LEDs with Quantum Dots, a "new" nanotechnology, that give even greater color gamut, and narrower Red Green and Blue spectrum, that pass through the color filters even more efficiently. Some of the latest LG TVs have this technology.

Beyond this is a relatively old technology, sightly more costly, using Red, Green, and Blue LEDs. These result in by fart the greatest color gamut, easily the most faithful and true to life color rendering in LCD screens. Unfortunately, NEC and others only use this in their medical and color publishing proof monitors. Last I looked these started at 18,000.00. However, the backlight cost is really only 2x of the white LED solution. Some manufacturers used the color LED backlight with low color gamut color filters in the LCD, and ended up with a solution between the top end RGB LED backlight, and the White LED backlight.

As others mentioned, the unit used to measure the performance is utterly flawed, and these types of sensors need to be calibrated for each of the LCD's color filters and backlight spectrum, independently. Using these X-Rite color measurement units would definitely explain why they had to use their own eyes, as the sensor results are basically bogus.

A proper unit to do comparisons for different LCD monitors with LCDs that have different color filters and backlights with, is called a spectroradiometer. Examples are Konica-Minolta's CS-2000 (the "gold standard" and also a lab standard) or Photo Research's PR-730.

flavious_91

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Apart from one or two exceptions LED backlights just don't measure up to the

performance of CCFL backlights, its true that CCFL have gaps in the spectrum

but overall they perform pretty well, LEDs on the other hand cannot be adjusted

to give a pure white light, I was quite shocked when I went into John Lewis TV

department and saw what they had on offer, apart from a few exeptions they all

had a overall blue cast, the sales staff seemed quite oblivious to it, don't

be fooled the reason why it is so popular with manufactures is that they only

require low quality components, they are high current low voltage devices.

CCFLs on the other hand are high luminace, high voltage low current devices,

they require high quality componets for them to have long life and to be

reliable, which would be to the detriment of profitablity, of couse they never

mention any of this to the consumer prefering of course to close ranks so that

the users have no real choice. Flavious

Status
Not open for further replies.