banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Curious question:
I am purchasing an external SCSI CD-Rom <actually, it is an internal CD in an external case> for my server, and am curious how one goes about hooking the audio cable from the CD Rom to the Sound card for an external. I would appreciate this, as this server is going to be streaming audio to the network.

Thomas

G

On IDE drives you can enable "Digital CD Audio" so the audio cable is no longer required. I've never used a SCSI CD-ROM, but I'm guessing there would be an option similar.

banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. Now where is this option, in the Windows hardware options on the CD tab? I am ashamed to admit that I am not familiar with that option. Also, does DMA have to be enabled on IDE drives? Thanks

Thomas

G

In Windows 2000, goto device manager expand CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives, and goto the properties of the drive you want to enable it on. Then goto the tab called "Properties" and it's down the bottom. I'm sure it would be roughly in the same place for Windows 98/ME.

G

DMA and "CD Digital Audio".. Beautiful thing about WIN2k..
1) is that DMA should be enabled but will cause a fuss if the CD-Rom doesn't support it (most newer drives today do). But Win2k will dynamically determine whether the drive supports it and assign it if selecting the right option. You have to know in Win9x.

2)"CD Digital Audio" is only an option available in Win2k. So don't feel ashamed you can't find it. (Maybe it's available in ME.. but I doubt it). I don't know because ME is <-----that way and I'm going this way ---->Win2k. Your drive must support it and even if it doesn't, Win2k will try to use the feature if you enable it. Of course, it sounds like crap if it doesn't. Sadly my Pioneer DVD 303S SCSI drive doesn't (it's not that old a drive) and this option sounds like CRAP so I'm still using the audio cable.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***