CD Devices Disappeard And Won't Install Again

Jim

I tried to install i-Pod software on my desktop computer and had some
problems with the system hanging up. I had to push the re-boot button at
least 3 times. I also removed the software from "Add/Remove Software".

Afterwards I noticed my CD R/W and DVD drives weren't showing up in Windows
Explorer. I checked Hardware Manager and both drives had exclaims next to
them. When I try to uninstall and re-install they always come back with the
exclaims.

Both drives show up in the CMOS and the BIOS. I can boot the Windows XP CD
from them.

I have a Microstar MSI-5690 MB, Athlon 2500+, Liteon DVD and HP CD R/W,
Windows XP Servpack 1.

Any ideas short of re-installing Windows XP??

"Jim" <mp3dontspammesupport@wi99.riverr.com> wrote in message
> I tried to install i-Pod software on my desktop computer and had some
> problems with the system hanging up. I had to push the re-boot button at
> least 3 times. I also removed the software from "Add/Remove Software".
>
> Afterwards I noticed my CD R/W and DVD drives weren't showing up in
Windows
> Explorer. I checked Hardware Manager and both drives had exclaims next to
> them. When I try to uninstall and re-install they always come back with
the
> exclaims.
>
> Both drives show up in the CMOS and the BIOS. I can boot the Windows XP CD
> from them.
>
> I have a Microstar MSI-5690 MB, Athlon 2500+, Liteon DVD and HP CD R/W,
> Windows XP Servpack 1.
>
> Any ideas short of re-installing Windows XP??

I've never had an ipod, but imagine it could operate as a mass storage
device, so it's possible that it was trying to use some resources that
conflict with your optical drives, and didn't get uninstalled completely.
Try the following . . . (if it doesn't work, you can always put it back the
way it is)

Enter your BIOS setup as your computer is starting (hit DEL or F2 probably).
If the optical drives are IDE, set those drives in BIOS to "NONE" or
"DISABLED". Now look around in your various BIOS menus until you find a
setting called PNP O/S, and set that to YES or ENABLED. Right by that
should be a setting called Reset Configuration Data (or something like
that). Set that to ENABLED or YES. Save changes and exit. See if that
helps. Often, windows will pick up the optical drive(s) even if the BIOS is
set to ignore them. If you set the bios to PNP and allow it to re-configure
itself, it might reassign resources so that Windows can pick up those drives
again. -Dave

Jim

I solved the problem in the following manner. I reasoned that uninstalling
the i-Pod software also removed a file essential to the CD Devices. My
solution was to re-install the i-Pod software.

Since the i-Pod software was on CD I used a USB Hard Drive and my laptop to
transfer the i-Pod's Installation CD to the USB hard drive. I re-installed
the software on the infected computer and my CD-Devices returned.

A second solution would have been to simply download the i_pod software from
Apples Web page.

"Jim" <mp3dontspammesupport@wi99.riverr.com> wrote in message
> I tried to install i-Pod software on my desktop computer and had some
> problems with the system hanging up. I had to push the re-boot button at
> least 3 times. I also removed the software from "Add/Remove Software".
>
> Afterwards I noticed my CD R/W and DVD drives weren't showing up in
Windows
> Explorer. I checked Hardware Manager and both drives had exclaims next to
> them. When I try to uninstall and re-install they always come back with
the
> exclaims.
>
> Both drives show up in the CMOS and the BIOS. I can boot the Windows XP CD
> from them.
>
> I have a Microstar MSI-5690 MB, Athlon 2500+, Liteon DVD and HP CD R/W,
> Windows XP Servpack 1.
>
> Any ideas short of re-installing Windows XP??

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:29:13 -0500 As another one bit the dust "Jim"
<mp3dontspammesupport@wi99.riverr.com> wrote :

>I tried to install i-Pod software on my desktop computer and had some
>problems with the system hanging up. I had to push the re-boot button at
>least 3 times. I also removed the software from "Add/Remove Software".
>
>Afterwards I noticed my CD R/W and DVD drives weren't showing up in Windows
>Explorer. I checked Hardware Manager and both drives had exclaims next to
>them. When I try to uninstall and re-install they always come back with the
>exclaims.
>
>Both drives show up in the CMOS and the BIOS. I can boot the Windows XP CD
>from them.
>
>I have a Microstar MSI-5690 MB, Athlon 2500+, Liteon DVD and HP CD R/W,
>Windows XP Servpack 1.
>
> Any ideas short of re-installing Windows XP??

Have you tried an,"XP" restore point?
Check you windows Help for Restore.
HTH :)

--