[SOLVED] CD Drive all of a sudden stopped functioning.

Krys2000

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
Hello,

I am in need of some assistance regarding an old retro laptop of mine (HP Compaq NX7010) regarding the built in CD Drive.

The CD Drive worked completely fine without any issues, I wanted to upgrade the old OS from XP to 7 via USB rather than using the CD drive, during the upgrade everything seemed ok while all of a sudden the CD Drive as a device disappeared from the BIOS list of hardware all together.

After installing Windows 7 the drive was no longer present on system even tho the hardware itself was all good, the hatch opened and closed it could register when im opening/closing but nothing more than that.

What I did:
Preinstalled the OS / Reverted back to XP using a USB install
Reinstalled all drivers / changed to legacy drivers
Configured all devices from the BIOS
Opened up the laptop to check it from the inside, everything was crisp regarding the hardware
Changed the Registry Keys
Reinstalling it from the Device mgmt

None of it worked.

Does any of you have an idea what could it be and if there is a chance that I may be able to fix it all together?

Thank you,

Solution
If the tray for the ODD works then it rules out the power delivery to the ODD issue...but it's probable that the drive isn't being recognized by the motherboard hence why it's missing. Can you take the ODD out and use an adapter to tether the ODD to a functioning desktop over USB? Does the laptop have any BIOS updates pending?

Lutfij

Titan
If the tray for the ODD works then it rules out the power delivery to the ODD issue...but it's probable that the drive isn't being recognized by the motherboard hence why it's missing. Can you take the ODD out and use an adapter to tether the ODD to a functioning desktop over USB? Does the laptop have any BIOS updates pending?

Reactions: Krys2000
Solution
if it is faulty it's possible you could find replacement parts on eBay or Amazon.
if you are familiar with laptop devices it should be an easy task.

do you really need the drive though?
nothing comes on CD anymore and don't think i know anyone under 60 that still uses them for music.

you can also get a cheap external DVD-R and just that via USB if you ever really need to.

Reactions: Krys2000

Krys2000

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
if it is faulty it's possible you could find replacement parts on eBay or Amazon.
if you are familiar with laptop devices it should be an easy task.

do you really need the drive though?
nothing comes on CD anymore and don't think i know anyone under 60 that still uses them for music.

you can also get a cheap external DVD-R and just that via USB if you ever really need to.
Yeahh most likely I will be getting an external replacement, this one is toasted for sure, I use it for a ton of stuff btw, primarily cuz of Nostalgia but I also do it to test out and experiment stuff with CD's

Krys2000

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020

It actually figured out that it was the Bios itself, problem was that the Bios upgraded to a newer version, the new one bugged the CD rendering it useless. I tried to find an old version to downgrade the bios so far haven't found anything, just as JohnBonhamsGhost mentioned imma be getting an external one for sure.