Hey I just got my new system up and running w/ the following specs:

-Amptron 817LM motherboard
-1.2 Ghz 266 FSB Thunderbird
-256 MB Micron PC133 RAM
-Gainward GeForce2 GTS Video Card
-Integrated PC97 sound, Ethernet, and Modem
-I/O Magic Magicspin 40X CD-ROM
-Cendyne 12 X 10 X 32 CD-RW

My problem is that I boot up into Windows 98SE and my hard drive is working along with most of my peripherals, but both of my CD drives are not being recognized. When I go into the CMOS setting and auto-detect the devices, the hard drive and both CD drives are auto-detected so I doubt it is an IDE connection problem. Just in case it matters, I have a 30 GB hard drive on the primary IDE connector alone as a master. On the secondary IDE connection, I have the reader as the master and the burner as the slave. I don't have the drivers for the drives anywhere and if I did they'd probably be on CD anyway like some other drivers I NEED to install. Anyway, I can't figure out what's wrong and if any1 out there knows a way to fix this, please respond and it will be very much appreciated. thanx!

---matt

G

I moved the drive over with Windows 98 already installed. I know you're not supposed to do this, but in an ironic twist of events my old computer got zapped pretty bad before I had a chance to back up the files. Is this what is causing the problem? Will I have to wipe the disk?

---matt

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Ideally you should do a fresh install of windows with a new motherboard. It will run better.

As a quick fix, you might try going to settings>control panel>system>device manager and removing the cd-rom and the cd-rw. Shut down windows and then reboot. Windows should then reinstall the devices.

If this dosen't work, you should make sure you have a windows startup floppy (settings>control panel>add/remove programs>Startup disk, back up files, and then do a fresh install of windows. It's also a good idea to reformat the HDD before installing windows, but make sure you have everything you need to do a fresh install before you wipe the HDD. And test the startup floppy to make sure you have CD-ROM support drivers on the floppy.

With a high capacity HDD, it might be a good idea to create a 4GB primary partition (c:) for windows and programs, and an extended partition with logical drive d: for data files. This will save time when you defrag the windows partition, and if you have to reinstall windows, it will take less time to format the C: drive and you won't have to worry about your data files on drive D:

Let me know if the quick fix above works?

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spdy_Gonzales on 06/29/01 12:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

A new motherboard is really not an option I don't have that kind of cash to throw around. My problem is how do I back up my system w/o my cd burner? I have massive amounts of mp3s and installer files i want to save and to further complicate this, the drivers for my modem are on a CD so I don't currently have internet access to put them on an online drive service. Also, I dont have the product key for my legal copy of Windows 95, I only have the key for a 98 upgrade that I recently bought. As you can probably tell, I'm in a bit of a fix. What can I do?

---matt

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
When you said you just got your new system up, I assumed that you had a new motherboard...thus my suggesting that since you have a new MB you should do a fresh install of windows.

I think if you do what I suggested as a "quick fix", you will get the cd-rom and cd-rw to work. What you will be doing is uninstalling the cd-rom and cd-rw in the device manager so that you can allow the system to reinstall them. I think this will work. When you click on the + sign in front of the CD-ROM group you will see the cd-rom and cd-rw listed. Just highlight each of them and click on remove. Then shut down your computer and restart. Windows will then detect the cd-rom and cd-rw as new devices and install them...hopefully they will function properly.

Try this and and see if it works.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
An alternative way to do your backup is with a second hard drive if you have one, or can borrow one from a friend.

BTW when you install the Win98 upgrade and are asked to insert the Win95 CD to verify prior ownership of windows, you do not need to know the product key of the Win95 CD.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Agree, backing up temporarily to another HDD is a good solution.

It sounds like your 'new' system is running incorrect windows device drivers for the mobo.

You can try deleting the relevant stuff in c:\windows\inf then have Windows reinstall the correct drivers.

I've had success with this, also seen it completely screw Windows installations.

Deleting the actual drives from device manager won't help, the problem is with the drivers in 'system devices', not the hardware.