CD Music Skipping ???

G

I am trying to fix a problem for a friend and am having some trouble..

They have computer that is around 3 years old.. it is a Pentium Celeron, they didn't remember what speed, with 64MB RAM, an old generic 32x CDROM, and a Sony 8/4/32 Writer.

Whenever they try to copy a music CD, it seems to go off without a hitch, but when you try to play the cd it skips terribly and you know that it didn't burn 'right'.

Anyway, first thing I noticed was they had only 1-2 Megabytes free on their Hard Drive, so I had them buy a bigger drive. I just installed that today and the problem is still there. I have it defragging right now, but I don't think that'll solve the problem...

If they burn MP3's with NERO it works great, so I am thinking they might need a newer Cd Drive to read the cd's, but they just got a new Hard Drive and I don't want to tell them to buy more stuff if it isn't necessary..

Thanks in advance for any help...

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Did you enable DMA in both your CD/CD-RW and hard drive???

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
have you tried to copy it to the hard drive then burn it

i'm thinking that the cdrw and the cd rom are sharing the same ide cable

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

Thanks for the posts...

I will go over to his house tomorrow to check it out.. I don't think the DMA is enabled and I know that the two CD's are on the same IDE Cable...

I'll check these two out and see if it helps...

Thanks.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
also see if burning it a 4 x will help

i have an hp cdrw that 8X4X32

but i can't burner at 8 or i get skips in the cds when i play them

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

The CD's that were skipping were Audio CD's....

Yesterday I switched around the cables so that the two CD Drives weren't on the same cable. I started a CD and left before it was done...

He hasn't told me whether the drive is working now or not, I'll write back when I know...

Thanks

G

i have same problem when recording audio discs with the "disc at once" checked - with nero and adaptec... Unchecked i have no problems... Apart from that pesky 2 sec interval between tracks...

G

Always make sure your media are clean. Protect it and keep it dry.

Try making an image of the CD you want to copy on the hard drive and burn from the image.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absoutely. Lord Acton.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I once had a problem with a broken wire in my IDE cable that made burned music cds sound terrible, because there was like injected static. See if the music cd plays well in many different players. make sure your source for the music is clear. make sure the computer is decoding the mp3s fast enough. get an aspi layer from www.daemon-tools.com

use www.feurio.com to burn audio cds.
use www.exactaudiocopy.de to rip audio cds.
use www.daemon-tools.com to mount an audio cd image in the virtual cd rom drive and use windows cd player just to see if for whatever reason it is making a bad music cd image.

I'm not sure what to do if you still get trouble.

G

The skipping occurs when the Audio CD is Copy protected with SafeDisc or SafeDisc 2.

There are ways to get around this, one is using an alternative CDFS.VXD

"Use this alternate CDFS.VXD cd driver on Win9x to show Audio CD's as WAV files
IN THE FILE SYSTEM! This replacement driver shows WAV files in a variety of
qualities. It works on any CD drive that Windows can support.

Then you can use your favorite Wave Editor program to read directly from the CD.

Never heard a skip or pop, unlike CDCopy or others...

Put it in your \Windows\System\IOSubSys directory, and reboot. You can rename the old CDFS.VXD
to CDFS.old for archive purposes."

Also usefull for many other things, all should check it out.

Get it here

<A HREF="http://www.soundtrackers.de/archives/cdfs.zip" target="_new">http://www.soundtrackers.de/archives/cdfs.zip</A>
Get it here

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Audio Cd protected with SafeDisc or SD2? umm I have never heard of that in my life, I'd bet $30 that the audio cds are not protected with SD2. That protection is only made for cds being used in computers.