cd rom drive problem, or hard drive problem? help!

WolfenGamer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
a friend of mine is using a western digital 40 gig hd (the regular 2mb one) and a pine technologies 56 max cd rom drive. last night we loaded mdk (pc game) onto his hardrive, and about 1/4 the way through the installation the cd rom drive started sounding really loud, (louder than usual) and an blue screen error came up and said... "cannot write to drive c:"
the wd drive he is using was replaced for him by the local shop he bought it from because the last wd hard drive he got from them did the same thing??
but he also had a bad cd rom drive at that time which also happened to be the exact same pine 56 max cd rom as well. and it to was replaced.
so, lol!
does anyone know if his cd rom isn't writing correctly to the hd for him to get this error? or is it that the hard drive isn't reading correctly and giving this (potentialy wrong) error?
he's running win98 first edition (and updated)
wd 40 gig 2 mb cache hard drive
pine technologies 56 max cd rom
pc chips sis735 mobo
ati 8500 le 128mb
and an amd xp 1800+ cpu
help would be very appreciated.

-ps the problem wasn't with the game because it loaded onto my system, and it worked fine.

--------------------------
Wait a minute... Hold on... I'm supposed to do what?!

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Probably the cdrom that has problem reading the data.

Some cdroms read cd´s better than others, happens all the time (for me anyway).

This is my old <font color=blue>Downdated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Uneatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> rotten </font color=red> sig.

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Sounds like a bit of a bummer...

Perhaps a new shop is called for. As they may enjoy pawning off refurbished items as replacements.

I'm not really human, I just play one on TV

WolfenGamer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
yeah, they are a problem. (THEY'RE NAME IS COMPUTER SUCCESS, I RECOMMEND NO ONE BUY FROM THEM) i had troubles with them when i bought a 3,500 dollar pc 2 years ago off them (they really ripped me off bad) everything the sold me was basically junk, and it was in for repairs over 9 times in one and a half years for various problems, and in the end my cpu and motherboard just ended up fried. so yeah, i'm looking elswhere now, and so are three of my fiends that bought from them as well.
but i still can't figure out if it's the WD brand HD (because it happened twice) or the pine cd rom (because maybe it happened twice with it??) lol! this makes it difficult to troubleshoot. so many variables to addentify the conflicts makes it hard to figure out the culprit. the bad thig is that if it is the cdrom and my friend thinks it's the HD... he said he would NEVER but a western digital HD again. so i don't know but i was told by most people they feel the western digitals are better than the maxtors... who knows *rolls eyes* *shrugs*?!
but thanks for the replies, and if anyone would like to add something to call to my attention concerning this issue, please do.
:)

--------------------------
Wait a minute... Hold on... I'm supposed to do what?!