David

My computer reconizes that the CD drive it there but when I put a CD in the
drive it will not read the CD. This also happens on my external DVD Drive. My
external drive works fine on my other computers. The problem is like the the
one described in the knowledge base # 883523 Please help me.
My email address is EMT-B@ameritech.net

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?= rambled on in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:

> My computer reconizes that the CD drive it there but when I put a CD in the
> drive it will not read the CD. This also happens on my external DVD Drive.
My
> external drive works fine on my other computers. The problem is like the
the
> one described in the knowledge base # 883523 Please help me.
> My email address is EMT-B@ameritech.net

Update the roms firmware

The absolute same thing is going on with me. My LITEON CD-ROM drive worked
fine with my Windows XP upgrade but it only had the sp1. Then I downloaded
the sp2 files that Microsoft said was a good thing - WRONG. I started having
so many problems that I thought my hard drive was going out and took the
computer in. I bought another hard drive and was advised to buy a full Home
edition of Windows XP (that comes loaded with sp2). I've had nothing but
problems with error messages, device problems - my system is only a 2003
model! I bought a external HP DVD drive which does work (THANK GOD) and
Windows will recognize the LITEON as a drive and says that it's working
properly but will not read any media. I think I would like to uninstall the
sp2 but how?
--
"And that's the straight goods!"

"David" wrote:

> My computer reconizes that the CD drive it there but when I put a CD in the
> drive it will not read the CD. This also happens on my external DVD Drive. My
> external drive works fine on my other computers. The problem is like the the
> one described in the knowledge base # 883523 Please help me.
> My email address is EMT-B@ameritech.net

It does not help to update my LITEON CD-ROM firmware. I checked with them
and received a notice today that that model is recognized and uses Windows
drivers and to check with Microsoft. There is no firmware to update with
some drives.