ps23tlims

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
When I go to DOS my computer tells me there is no valid cdrom device driver specified. It also gives a command above that, I can't remember this because I wrote it down and forgot it at home. It is something like c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe\00001. I am fuzzy on the number thing there. I know it won't give me cdrom support if I need it. The CD-ROM works fine, it even has a device driver given, with no yellow question marks. How do I get it working again, so I have cdrom support if I need it? I have considered removing the hardware and staring over, is this my only option? Thanks for your help! Debbie

G

Many CD-ROMs require different drivers to operate in DOS than in Windows. Go to the manufacturers site and see if they have any separate DOS drivers.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

ps23tlims

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
That is how this particular driver is installed through DOS. I have gone to the site. They have bad tech support. I even downloaded the driver thinking it may have been an upgrade...no such luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help! Debbie

G

Since you're running windows, you should do a start-up disk. Then start your computer with the start-up disk in the drive and when prompted, start in dos with cd-rom support. This should load the necessary drivers for your cd-rom. If this works, Private message me and I'll tell you how to make a floppy that will do just that without all the trouble of that extra stuff(the prompting and re-booting) with the start-up disk. Serge.

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
You could add a line into your config.sys and autoexec.bat ensuring your CDROM will be detected. If it is an older CDROM, you may need to find proprietary device drivers. Here's the skinny of what'll you'll need to do:

in config.sys:

device=oakcdrom.sys /D:eek:emcd001

(where oakcdrom.sys is the device driver for your CDROM drive. NOTE: oakcdrom.sys works for MOST CDROM drives)

in Autoexec.bat:

LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:Z

(Where Z = the drive letter you want your drive to become)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Joshua Van Berkum