Cedar Mill Chipsets

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Why do i doubt that Opteron actually reached 6ghz? thats more then double the stock, not even intels can do that (pentium m 1.6 -> 3.16 closest iv seen, but not over double) not even prescotts can do that with there 30+ BS stages.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Not to involve myself in the argument, but I felt I had to contradict your statement "because an AMD CPU (even at a nice 3GHz) will not get above 50c Full Load".

I might not have an Athlon 64 3200+ but I do have an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton model and that sucker pushes 60-70C during games even with a powerful house fan blowing in the case with the panel off. The ambient temperature in the case averages around 22-25C at the most and arctic silver is on the cpu die (properly layered) with the heatsink/fan snugly in place. The slower AMD models run much cooler, even the 2500+ Barton.

The average room temp is around 70-74F and doesn't affect the cpu temps until it drops into the 68F range or below. Regarding Cedar Mill, the modified design with smaller process being 65nm, addresses the severe heat issues the Prescott model had which were well known. Just my 2 cents.

-- MaSoP

Wow, Tool and Fool, such cool words to be used by such a cool person, dang you're awesome! It doesn't really matter if an Intel CPU can "tolerate more heat" (not that something not living can "tolerate" anything) because an AMD CPU (even at a nice 3GHz) will not get above 50c Full Load (even on stock cooling). And I keep tellin' you Intel dudes, I aint no AMD fanboy. Just because it smells like a duck, tastes like a duck, and looks like a duck, doesn't mean it can't be a T-Rex.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Not to involve myself in the argument, but I felt I had to contradict your statement "because an AMD CPU (even at a nice 3GHz) will not get above 50c Full Load".

I might not have an Athlon 64 3200+ but I do have an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton model and that sucker pushes 60-70C during games even with a powerful house fan blowing in the case with the panel off.

Sorry, not valid. The XP models are much hotter than the 64s. Not that I want to get involved either. :roll:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Why do i doubt that Opteron actually reached 6ghz? thats more then double the stock, not even intels can do that (pentium m 1.6 -> 3.16 closest iv seen, but not over double) not even prescotts can do that with there 30+ BS stages.

You think that because you're an Intel Fanboy. Stand Back! There's A Fanboy Comin' Through! *Music Starts*

Cochise

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
You think that because you're an Intel Fanboy. Stand Back! There's A Fanboy Comin' Through! *Music Starts*

Ermmm...no disrespect there MMM but from what I have read/seen, through all your brilliance, you certainly seem to epitimize the phrase "FANBOY".

**ducks**

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Ermmm...no disrespect there MMM but from what I have read/seen, through all your brilliance, you certainly seem to epitimize the phrase "FANBOY".

**ducks**

I noticed this is your first post...and the THG community could have done without you joining...enough said. Obviously you haven't read my posts where there are FACTS...oh wait...every one of my posts are FACTS...must mean you never read any...Fanboyism != FACTS, as much as people wish it did.

BTW: It is spelled "epitOmize"

Cochise

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
I noticed this is your first post...and the THG community could have done without you joining...enough said. Obviously you haven't read my posts where there are FACTS...oh wait...every one of my posts are FACTS...must mean you never read any...Fanboyism != FACTS, as much as people wish it did.

Thanks for the correction :wink:

Yes... this is my first post. Nice of you to pass judgement on me on behalf of the THG community simply because you didn't like what I posted. I didn't realize you were the spokesperson for the community. I also never said you didn't post facts. In fact I even praised your brilliance. Just because I haven't posted, doesn't mean I don't read anything.

w/e...I meant no disrespect as I said. I was just stating an observation/fact so to speak. You are so quick to come down on some people with your fanboy comments but you seem to be more extreme than many of them when it comes to "fanboyism".

Sorry I offended you. Peace

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Yes... this is my first post. Nice of you to pass judgement on me on behalf of the THG community simply because you didn't like what I posted. I didn't realize you were the spokesperson for the community. I also never said you didn't post facts. In fact I even praised your brilliance. Just because I haven't posted, doesn't mean I don't read anything.

w/e...I meant no disrespect as I said. I was just stating an observation/fact so to speak. You are so quick to come down on some people with your fanboy comments but you seem to be more extreme than many of them when it comes to "fanboyism".

Never said I was "speaking for the community", but saying that I believe we would all be better without another possible Intel Fanboy or un-informed newbie posting crap.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Never said I was "speaking for the community", but saying that I believe we would all be better without another possible Intel Fanboy or un-informed newbie posting crap.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
No, according to several sites (Xbit, Anand, Intel, etc.) you don't. And big woop, it overclocks, stop the press! As I said before, overclocking potential doesn't negate power potential. Just because you can have a 5GHz Cedar Mill doesn't mean it will beat a 3GHz A64. And if it does, you're still gonna heat up your house and burn the chip in the process. It's not worth it over an A64, and from your sig, you already at a 2.8 Venice, how much more freakin' power do you need? Don't be a damn fool and waste money.

Judging from my sig you'll also see I could sell my current set up for the 450 or so needed to redo it parts of it on Intel. I'm sick of DFI bullcrap, and there aren't many other mobo's that support the massive memory voltage I need =(
Also, I'm rather open minded, and I am a fan of hyperthreading. I highly doubt a 5ghz Intel would lose to a 3ghz amd in any real benchmark. Heat will not be a problem, as I have a very powerful aftermarket cooler and am seriously considering building a phase changer. Also, please send me some info from review websites if you are intent upon changing my mind towards a 148 or just keeping the damn Ultra-D.

5Ghz Intel beats 3Ghz AMD... no problem, in fact, THG's own benchmarks show this. The 955 overclocked to 4.4Ghz on air, beats the FX overclocked to 3Ghz.... on air.

Heat isn't much of a problem, its mostly a matter of installing the HSF correctly. Ceder Mill's and Presler's overclock well. :)

I have not yet read this entire thread, I will, over the weekend.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
No, according to several sites (Xbit, Anand, Intel, etc.) you don't. And big woop, it overclocks, stop the press! As I said before, overclocking potential doesn't negate power potential. Just because you can have a 5GHz Cedar Mill doesn't mean it will beat a 3GHz A64. And if it does, you're still gonna heat up your house and burn the chip in the process. It's not worth it over an A64, and from your sig, you already at a 2.8 Venice, how much more freakin' power do you need? Don't be a damn fool and waste money.

Judging from my sig you'll also see I could sell my current set up for the 450 or so needed to redo it parts of it on Intel. I'm sick of DFI bullcrap, and there aren't many other mobo's that support the massive memory voltage I need =(
Also, I'm rather open minded, and I am a fan of hyperthreading. I highly doubt a 5ghz Intel would lose to a 3ghz amd in any real benchmark. Heat will not be a problem, as I have a very powerful aftermarket cooler and am seriously considering building a phase changer. Also, please send me some info from review websites if you are intent upon changing my mind towards a 148 or just keeping the damn Ultra-D.

5Ghz Intel beats 3Ghz AMD... no problem, in fact, THG's own benchmarks show this. The 955 overclocked to 4.4Ghz on air, beats the FX overclocked to 3Ghz.... on air.

Heat isn't much of a problem, its mostly a matter of installing the HSF correctly. Ceder Mill's and Presler's overclock well. :)

2 known facts: THG is Intel-Biased & Windshear is an Intel Fanboy....need not say more.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

2 known facts: THG is Intel-Biased & Windshear is an Intel Fanboy....need not say more.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time nicely said mike i think that windshear is on intel's payroll too

fcuk you just cause we question AMD doesnt mean were intel fanboys, YOUR THE FANBOYS!

Sad to say Intels raw clock speed does get some decent performance and AMD can overclock too and reach it most of the time but now 65nm P4s are here taking on 90nm AMDs they will get beaten, its always going to happen - its a leapfrog game.

Now please stop this god dam war - both companies offer great processors, if it wasnt for EITHER company we wouldnt be here with such fast processors!!! BUY WHATS FASTEST AT THE TIME OR WHAT BEST SUITS YOUR NEEDS OR BUDGET NOT A GOD DAM FCUKING BRAND!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
dvd that isnt the first time u said sumone was on intels payroll and im gonna have u accuse to of being on amd's payroll.

@mike.- ur getting too hyped up. who cares wat other dooches think. as long as ur not paying big bucks for less performance. let whoever get the intel.

btw i have a huge urge to go pick up a cedar mill celeron when they're out lol. my ocing addiction needs to be stopped.

and dvd get a girlfriend. all u do is sit at home and post.. u fcuking loser

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
fcuk you just cause we question AMD doesnt mean were intel fanboys, YOUR THE FANBOYS!

Sad to say Intels raw clock speed does get some decent performance and AMD can overclock too and reach it most of the time but now 65nm P4s are here taking on 90nm AMDs they will get beaten, its always going to happen - its a leapfrog game.

Now please stop this god dam war - both companies offer great processors, if it wasnt for EITHER company we wouldnt be here with such fast processors!!! BUY WHATS FASTEST AT THE TIME OR WHAT BEST SUITS YOUR NEEDS OR BUDGET NOT A GOD DAM FCUKING BRAND!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

Dude, I was eating this bag of frozen strawberries, and I wiped the stuff on my shirt. You think I can still talk to girls as cool as you can? You're so smooth.

Cochise

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

Again...you are passing judgement on me w/o any facts. Where are the "facts" to back up your statement above? You know nothing about me save for the 2 posts I've made above. I call it as I see it.

Ohhh...I guess I could be an "un-informed intel fanboy". So it could be possible that you are justified and telling me that the community is better off without me joining. I call that pure speculation on your part. The fact is you didn't like what I posted so you made assumptions.

No biggie...I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Again...you are passing judgement on me w/o any facts. Where are the "facts" to back up your statement above? You know nothing about me save for the 2 posts I've made above. I call it as I see it.

Ohhh...I guess I could be an "un-informed intel fanboy". So it could be possible that you are justified and telling me that the community is better off without me joining. I call that pure speculation on your part. The fact is you didn't like what I posted so you made assumptions.

No biggie...I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

I will, I'm all depressed now :(.

chill everyone

madmodmike - i aint smooth im stuck with a crappy intel that wont overclock, but i do have a gf

illicitsc - yeah no personal insults

dvdpiddy - are you on amds payroll? seriously no one here is on any payroll.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
chill everyone

madmodmike - i aint smooth im stuck with a crappy intel that wont overclock, but i do have a gf

illicitsc - yeah no personal insults

dvdpiddy - are you on amds payroll? seriously no one here is.

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Let me do this too, it looks so fun! :D

here I go:

madmodmike - you're cool 8)

apache - wow you have a gf, can I have her too?

illicitsc - ya man, no personal insults...only directed towards apache are accepted

dvdpiddy - AMD's payroll isn't real, because AMD doesn't use money, they use floating bubbles from that linux game to pay people :D

hey apache, how did I do? I still want to get your thoughts on my T-Shirt with Strawberry stuff on it.