[SOLVED] Ceiling fan as intake?

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Hi all, a question about how to use my single ceiling fan. My current fan set up in my Meshify C is:
1 x 120mm fan in rear as exhaust
1 x 140mm in ceiling as exhaust
2 x 120mm (as part of the Neptune cooler) in front as intake

My CPU temperature hovers at around 28 degrees celsius when idle and is within the acceptable when exerted. I did a quick test in BIOS to see what difference my ceiling fan would make, switched it off and temperature doesn't seem affected. Of course, I don't have a GPU at the moment (for other reasons) and having one might change this. My ceiling fan acts as an exhaust and is located far to the rear. Would positioning it around the middle of the ceiling and setting it to take in cool air from outside be a good idea? My idea is that if it sits above my GPU, the flow of cool air will provide it with increased cooling.

Asus TUF H370 pro board
i5-8600k cpu
16GB DDR4 RAM
Asus R9-290x graphics card
Neptune 240 cooler
Windows 10 64 bit
Corsair TX650 psu

Solution
One part of me thinks turning the ceiling fan into an intake and positioning it more towards the front of the case can potentially help with cooling. Another part of me tells me it won't matter.

A better way to see how your cooling system is working, throw on a stress test (CPU-Z, Prime95, or some sufficiently long Handbrake render) and see what the steady state temperature and clock speeds are. Choose the configuration that provides the better clock speeds or the better temperature if the clocks are the same.
Being you seem to have good temps....I would probably leave it alone.

I don't think this is going to help anything>>>

"Would positioning it around the middle of the ceiling and setting it to take in cool air from outside be a good idea? "

...because hot air rises and the top fans generally work better as exhausts.

I think that when you get a GPU....check the temps again....but I think there's a good chance you won't need to do anything even then.

One part of me thinks turning the ceiling fan into an intake and positioning it more towards the front of the case can potentially help with cooling. Another part of me tells me it won't matter.

A better way to see how your cooling system is working, throw on a stress test (CPU-Z, Prime95, or some sufficiently long Handbrake render) and see what the steady state temperature and clock speeds are. Choose the configuration that provides the better clock speeds or the better temperature if the clocks are the same.

Solution

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020
Hi all, a question about how to use my single ceiling fan. My current fan set up in my Meshify C is:
1 x 120mm fan in rear as exhaust
1 x 140mm in ceiling as exhaust
2 x 120mm (as part of the Neptune cooler) in front as intake

My CPU temperature hovers at around 28 degrees celsius when idle and is within the acceptable when exerted. I did a quick test in BIOS to see what difference my ceiling fan would make, switched it off and temperature doesn't seem affected. Of course, I don't have a GPU at the moment (for other reasons) and having one might change this. My ceiling fan acts as an exhaust and is located far to the rear. Would positioning it around the middle of the ceiling and setting it to take in cool air from outside be a good idea? My idea is that if it sits above my GPU, the flow of cool air will provide it with increased cooling.

Asus TUF H370 pro board
i5-8600k cpu
16GB DDR4 RAM
Asus R9-290x graphics card
Neptune 240 cooler
Windows 10 64 bit
Corsair TX650 psu
hot air rises. it will go to the top of your case and having the ceiling fans push the hot air back down will increase case temps

Reactions: omegaglory1

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Thanks for the advice. I may keep the fan as an exhaust and see if it helps the GPU, it wouldn't hurt to try. I also plan to replace some of my pci slot covers with grated ones, I've read that this can help air flow as well.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Forget the old "hot air rises" thing; hotaru.hino has it right.

What you have is nearly ideal. What you want is a balance of air flow IN and OUT. Without getting into fine details, two intake fans on a rad at the front balances reasonably with two exhaust fans at top and rear. Leave it that way.