Centrino 2 Exposed: A Name Deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

santos79

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
The Montevina chipset also introduces support for 8GB of RAM. IMO that's a major advantage of the Centrino2 and should have been mentioned in the article.

While 4GB more than enough for now, it might not be enough in 2-3 years.

silversound

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Thats nothing close to a revolutionary upgrade like the core2 from pentium4, only FSB and some memory upgrade on the motherboard; PC6400 is so last year for desktop. Certainly do not deserve the name change, i think just a marketing attempt try to stimulate the sales.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]silversound[/nom]Thats nothing close to a revolutionary upgrade like the core2 from pentium4, only FSB and some memory upgrade on the motherboard; PC6400 is so last year for desktop. Certainly do not deserve the name change, i think just a marketing attempt try to stimulate the sales.[/citation]

Yeah, fairly underwhelming overall--at least until we see hardware from Intel.

mrmessma

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I would like to point out that a Z06 gets better mileage (city and highway) than a GT-R, V8 vs TT V6, while both having very comparable power and lap times depending on the track style. Just putting it out there, because I know quite a few were thinking it. Haha.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmessma[/nom]I would like to point out that a Z06 gets better mileage (city and highway) than a GT-R, V8 vs TT V6, while both having very comparable power and lap times depending on the track style. Just putting it out there, because I know quite a few were thinking it. Haha.[/citation]

I'd argue that it depends on how you're driving the car ;-) I have a much easier time burning through a tank in my V8 than I ever did the bi-turbo V6.

mrmessma

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Ok, yes many V8 suck a lot of gas often being paired to heavier vehicles. But I would still wager a quality V8 vs a quality twin turbo V6 have very similar appetites. A very nitpicky thing to say, I will admit.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmessma[/nom]Ok, yes many V8 suck a lot of gas often being paired to heavier vehicles. But I would still wager a quality V8 vs a quality twin turbo V6 have very similar appetites. A very nitpicky thing to say, I will admit.[/citation]

No worries ;) More than anything I was trying to make a brute force vs. finesse analogy--probably could have picked a better subject, but I'm a car guy.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
"The Lost World (what a horrible sequel that was)."

I'm sorry, is this a blog?

If you're going to put your opinion about all sorts of silly things in articles, then please post the article as a BLOG and not some type of news story. I think we (the readers) have been over this.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]"The Lost World (what a horrible sequel that was)."I'm sorry, is this a blog?If you're going to put your opinion about all sorts of silly things in articles, then please post the article as a BLOG and not some type of news story. I think we (the readers) have been over this.[/citation]

Thanks for the feedback!

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Intel also promised a mobile quad-core in H2 of this year. I'm hoping that with some newer gpu offerings (read beefy) there will be some high power gaming laptops to choose from this holiday season...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Celticbattlepants[/nom]"...Apple is able to finesse that hardware into a package less than an inch thick..."isnt finesse a noun?[/citation]

It can also be used as a verb ;-)

orangesodazz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
So, does this mean that the Compal JHL90 whitebook is strictly Montevina and not Centrino 2?

Also, I was wondering if this new centrino 2 platform will support the next batch of cpus beyond the penryn mobile series or will an update be needed like Santa Rosa had.

One last question, :). Is there any real performance difference between say a t9300 800Mhz FSB and an update t9400 1066Mhz FSB, and maybe even a P9500 1066Mhz FSB?

I know these are pretty technical questions and would appreciate any and all responses. :)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]orangesodazz[/nom]So, does this mean that the Compal JHL90 whitebook is strictly Montevina and not Centrino 2?Also, I was wondering if this new centrino 2 platform will support the next batch of cpus beyond the penryn mobile series or will an update be needed like Santa Rosa had. One last question, . Is there any real performance difference between say a t9300 800Mhz FSB and an update t9400 1066Mhz FSB, and maybe even a P9500 1066Mhz FSB?I know these are pretty technical questions and would appreciate any and all responses. [/citation]

Orange,

You'd need to built the Compal whitebook up using the full complement of Centrino 2 components--it's a Montevina notebook, though.

Re: CPUs: If you're talking about the upcoming Nehalem-based processors, then no, this platform will not be able to support them.

Hopefully we'll know soon enough about the advantages of the faster front side bus. Intel didn't have any hardware ready for the launch, so we still don't know.

Thanks!

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]mrmessma[/nom]I would like to point out that a Z06 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_Z06 gets better mileage (city and highway) than a GT-R, V8 vs TT V6, while both having very comparable power and lap times depending on the track style. Just putting it out there, because I know quite a few were thinking it. Haha.[/citation]

There are major differences between the Z06 and GTR. for one the Z06 is ~750lbs lighter. The Z06 is also 2wd unlike the GTR's 4wd. Inherently a turbo driven engine will be more fuel efficient if driven at lower throttles since the vehicle will operate as a naturally aspirated smaller engine with less reciprocating inertia, friction, etc. Trim 750lbs and use a rwd only on the GTR and the MPG would most likely tilt toward the GTR.

For example a Caparo T1 with 550hp will run circles around a z06 (and just about everything else)and get 33MPG. Is that because it's 1000lbs lighter than the Z06, you decide.

The analogy as to cpu(s) and chipsets is fair. Since a smaller process cpu or chipset is like a smaller v6 engine. While the increased clock rates yield greater performance, such as boost from a turbo. Turbo has been a cliche term used for computer components for decades so this statement just continues the trend.

graphicsrus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I like Intel, but to give them a "pass" on graphics and video is a little incredible without a real review. To give them a pass on it when they are at the center of the Vista graphics class-action lawsuit, have a well known track record of low performance on compatibility and games, and there are reported issues on C2 HD video (AnandTech) amazes me.
Intel & Vista: http://www.builderau.com.au/news/so...-points-to-Intel/0,339028227,339286445,00.htm
Intel and Sims2: http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc2007081_108723.htm?chan=search
Intel and HD video: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3356&p=5

Let's please get a system review!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]graphicsrus[/nom]I like Intel, but to give them a "pass" on graphics and video is a little incredible without a real review. To give them a pass on it when they are at the center of the Vista graphics class-action lawsuit, have a well known track record of low performance on compatibility and games, and there are reported issues on C2 HD video (AnandTech) amazes me.Intel & Vista: Intel and Sims2: Intel and HD video: Let's please get a system review![/citation]

They certainly don't get a pass. Not knowing what the integrated core is capable of, we can't pass judgment one way or another. Absolutely we'll be taking a look at some of the Centrino 2-based platforms once they become available next month.

graphicsrus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
"DisplayPort and HDMI connectivity help maintain Intel’s leadership position in I/O connectivity." Well, actually ATI had integrated HDMI a generation ago around Feb '07 with 690G chipset. Well, actually AMD 780G supports DisplayPort and so did the ATI Radeon 3K series. Did you interview AMD, ATI or Nvidia to do fact-checking?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]graphicsrus[/nom]"DisplayPort and HDMI connectivity help maintain Intel’s leadership position in I/O connectivity." Well, actually ATI had integrated HDMI a generation ago around Feb '07 with 690G chipset. Well, actually AMD 780G supports DisplayPort and so did the ATI Radeon 3K series. Did you interview AMD, ATI or Nvidia to do fact-checking? [/citation]

You're misunderstanding the passage. Historically, Intel is the one to introduce new I/O connectivity. By incorporating HDMI and DisplayPort into the new integrated core logic, Intel helps maintain its overall leadership in that regard.

Thanks for the feedback.

G

Cangelini, graphicsrus seems to have somewhat of a point, but I am not a graphics expert. I am a server expert, though. Can you please provide some examples of where Intel has led with new I/O connectivity? I am kind of server-centric, and hasn't AMD led there? AMD led the industry in server I/O on a bunch of things, yes?
1/ Memory to chipset I/O: first with a direct connection (directconnect.)
2/ Serialized I/O between multiple CPU socketss: first with this in server (HT)
3/ Serialized socket I/O: HTX slot, in HP and IBM servers

Please explain. Thanks

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]inquiringminds[/nom]Cangelini, graphicsrus seems to have somewhat of a point, but I am not a graphics expert. I am a server expert, though. Can you please provide some examples of where Intel has led with new I/O connectivity? I am kind of server-centric, and hasn't AMD led there? AMD led the industry in server I/O on a bunch of things, yes?1/ Memory to chipset I/O: first with a direct connection (directconnect.) 2/ Serialized I/O between multiple CPU socketss: first with this in server (HT) 3/ Serialized socket I/O: HTX slot, in HP and IBM serversPlease explain. Thanks[/citation]

Minds--absolutely! The AMD examples you've mentioned are good; I'd associate them more with the company's architectural advantages, though. Its HT technology, integrated MC, HTX, etc, are all key components in the company's performance story.

By I/O connectivity, I'm talking about Intel's role nudging certain initiatives forward. WiMAX is perhaps the most current, but think also of PCI Express, USB, and SATA. Though they're not necessarily integral in Intel's overall performance story, they're all technologies that set the stage for 1) better peripheral performance 2) more convenient connectivity.

While Graphicsrus is correct in his observation that AMD was first with DisplayPort (notably in the FireGL V7700), my statement stands. Now that Intel has adopted similar functionality, I believe the company is still seen as a leader in pushing a lot of the technologies you'd later see in NVIDIA- and AMD-based chipsets.

By no means is it a slight toward AMD. The fact that Intel is adopting many AMD-like technologies in its Nehalem-based platform should speak to the merits of those capabilities. And Intel isn't batting 10/10 either--just think back to BTX. That was one example of a form factor initiative that flopped because it wasn't needed by the industry as a whole (just the NetBurst-based chips).

Status
Not open for further replies.