Question Certain Programs Close Upon Launch

solplayer225

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Alright so I've spent hours trying to figure this one out and I'm honestly stumped. Hoping maybe someone here has the answer!

For around a month now, my Windows 10 desktop has been closing certain programs upon starting them. I get no errors, no pop-ups or other side-effects. My event log has nothing that appears relevant either. I'm fairly tech-savvy but I have no idea what could be causing this since I have no errors or logs to investigate. The programs that no longer work are: Spotify and Microsoft Word, both from the Windows store and normal installation, and now Razer Synapse 3.0 and Razer Cortex.

My setup:

Windows 10 Home Edition
CPU: intel i5-4590
GPU: Sapphire NITRO R9 390X
RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1300
Mobo: ASRock H97 Pro4
PSU: SeaSonic S12II Series 620W bronze

I'm using a dual-drive setup with a Crucial BX100 250GB SSD as my boot drive and an old Western Digital 500GB HDD for secondary storage.

What I have tried:

• Booting into Safe Mode with networking (Still nothing works). Attempting to install Razer Cortex or Synapse in this mode returns this error before closing the program: "A new guard page for the stack cannot be created." Spotify simply black screens until I close it.
  • Restoring Windows to previous restore point.
  • Reinstalling Windows using both the fast reinstall and full wipe options in Windows 10's settings menu.
  • Running sfc and dism scans and restores. sfc said it was unable to fix some of the issues it detected.
  • Reinstalling any programs or drivers in question.
  • Running virus scans using Avast and Malwarebytes. Nothing returned.

Does anyone have any advice here? I honestly have no clue what it could be short of hardware going out. I don't want to start ordering parts until I have an idea of what it could be.

My next thing to try is to install windows on my secondary drive, boot from that and see if the programs work.

solplayer225

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I had something similar happen a couple of months ago. I did a clean install of Windows, and that fixed the problem for me. FWIW the program I had the problem with was EasyBCD.
I've tried both types of resets from the restore menu and it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Should I wipe everything and do a manual restore with the USB I have? I assumed the reset was the same thing, but I'm still getting used to Windows 10.

I don't know what you mean by "manual restore". What worked for me was to format the c: drive, then reinstall Windows using the install DVD (you could also use an install USB Flash drive). After that you'd need to re-install your applications and data, so be sure to back up any data you don't want to lose.

solplayer225

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I don't know what you mean by "manual restore". What worked for me was to format the c: drive, then reinstall Windows using the install DVD (you could also use an install USB Flash drive). After that you'd need to re-install your applications and data, so be sure to back up any data you don't want to lose.
Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant a standard install using the USB boot media, as you described. I didn't know if that was the same as the reset option in Windows 10 settings. Apologies, I'm a little frazzled right now.

solplayer225

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I might have fixed my issue. Putting this here for reference if anyone has this issue in the future.

I ran the Microsoft .NET repair tool and then updated my .NET framework to the current version, which should be 4.8 at the time of writing this. I also uninstalled my antivirus, Avast, and on reboot my Spotify opened successfully and I am now able to install razer cortex and synapse like normal. Everything is working as normal, I'll mark this solved in the morning if the issues haven't returned by then.